AZ late archery unit 9

Slim Jim

WKR
I drew this tag and scoured the internet looking for info on the late hunt and I’m not finding too much. I even called azgfd looking to talk to a biologist and they won’t talk to anyone anymore. They said to just read their website for info which I’ve done plenty. I’ve searched google earth and see a lot of tanks but not sure which ones if any are far enough away from roads. It all looks flat other than Red Butte so not much for glassing. I plan on putting a lot miles hiking looking for sheds and trying to figure it all out. I will do my homework but if anyone has any intel please give me a shout or a pm. Thank you

Jimmy
702-277-9349

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim,

I've never hunted Unit 9 so I don't have any real information for you. But it has been talked about several times on the Jay Scott podcast. I believe he has interviewed a couple guides who hunt Unit 9. Searching through the back log of podcasts might be a good place to start.

Good luck bro. I'll ask around and see if I can get any leads for you.

Kalani

Maverick940

Banned
I drew this tag and scoured the internet looking for info on the late hunt and I’m not finding too much. I even called azgfd looking to talk to a biologist and they won’t talk to anyone anymore. They said to just read their website for info which I’ve done plenty. I’ve searched google earth and see a lot of tanks but not sure which ones if any are far enough away from roads. It all looks flat other than Red Butte so not much for glassing. I plan on putting a lot miles hiking looking for sheds and trying to figure it all out. I will do my homework but if anyone has any intel please give me a shout or a pm. Thank you

Jimmy
702-277-9349

You have your work cut out for you, that's for sure. If you want to send me a PM, I can share a little bit.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Slim,

I've never hunted Unit 9 so I don't have any real information for you. But it has been talked about several times on the Jay Scott podcast. I believe he has interviewed a couple guides who hunt Unit 9. Searching through the back log of podcasts might be a good place to start.

Good luck bro. I'll ask around and see if I can get any leads for you.

Kalani

Thank you

Beendare

WKR
That Red butte is a pretty well known tank. There will be someone on all of those well known tanks...even late season.

That late hunt sucks....its best to get in there and scout your ass off. Most guys I talk to don't even see an elk on those late hunts.

The elk won't be moving much. I was in AZ last fall helping a guide buddy with some hunters and watched a 340-ish bull for almost a full day in my spotter and he moved maybe 30 yds...holding tight in a small thick pocket- miracle I even spotted him. At times he just stood there listening...for 10 minutes at a time. They go into hunker down mode that time of year.

Thats what you are up against. Scouting and glassing is the key.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I plan on scouting my butt off but the problem is that I can’t get there until mid April. I’ll spend a week there but it it might be too late as they’ll start moving into summer routines. I’ll get there a couple weeks out before opener as well. Summer scouting won’t do much good other than learning the lay of the land.
Late hunts are a challenge but I am teacher and I get the whole week off for thanksgiving so that’s why put in for late. I’m just going to have to work!

Maverick940

Banned
What was your second and third choices on your permit application? One thing you might consider, is surrendering your tag and apply for a better area, next year.

If you go in April consider looking for sheds. If you find any it may give you a idea of where the bulls hunker down after the rut. Those elk don’t migrate like some locations, typically just move to sanctuaries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
What was your second and third choices on your permit application? One thing you might consider, is surrendering your tag and apply for a better area, next year.

Unit 8
I went off of the amount of tags given and the 40%+ success rates

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
If you go in April consider looking for sheds. If you find any it may give you a idea of where the bulls hunker down after the rut. Those elk don’t migrate like some locations, typically just move to sanctuaries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s what I’m doing. Shed hunt/scouting trip

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR

Starting next year I’ll put in for 22N every year. I should draw it 2 out of 3 years having a loyalty point and a bonus point for hunters ed.

Maverick940

Banned
Starting next year I’ll put in for 22N every year. I should draw it 2 out of 3 years having a loyalty point and a bonus point for hunters ed.

There you go. That's an easy one to draw. Probably one of the easiest archery bull hunts to draw, anyway. Lots of yearlings in that area.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
There you go. That's an easy one to draw. Probably one of the easiest archery bull hunts to draw, anyway. Lots of yearlings in that area.

It’ll take me a few hunts to figure out but I love it! With my teachers schedule, I have to do what works. At least my boss lets me take off the first week of September so that I can hunt elk pre rut in Idaho every year

hwy5076

FNG
Unit 9 can be tough but if you're willing to put some miles on your boots it will pay off. Lots of roads and tanks with lots of hunters on em. Find the more remote areas to hike. Saw lots of bulls on the late hunt last year and talked to other hunters that couldn't find one. A lot will also depend on the amount of snowfall in the area leading up to the late hunt so have more than one area in mind.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I plan on hiking plenty of miles. The roads everywhere is what I’m worried about. I’ll probably make at least 3 big trips there trying to figure it out

CaseyD

FNG
Remember to get the latest closed road maps from game and Fish. That will expand your hiking area a bunch (although not everyone follows the closures unfortunately) but never the less