AZ late archery unit 9

neverquit

WKR
All Az late hunts are tough but not impossible. There’s plenty of elk that stay all year long.

Most hunt Friday Saturday then Sunday the the place turns into a ghosts town, these elk wil still water during shooting light at tanks right on roads. With only a 100 tags this will a much better hunt than 22n will ever be at 325 tags. Plus the preceding seasons in 9 are minimal.

If you can come 2 or 3 days early you’ll do great. The late archery hunts are great imo for people who what an Az elk tag more often than every 10years. A lot of people get scared off because theres not bugling, you just hunt them like deer. Ambush areas with heavy fresh sign and spot and stalk.
I plan on hiking plenty of miles. The roads everywhere is what I’m worried about. I’ll probably make at least 3 big trips there trying to figure it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I’ve been there and put down a lot of miles. Figuring it out a little bit. There’s really not to many places to glass for spot and stalk. More still hunting than glassing. I’ve got a pretty good plan so far but I’m still going to go a few more times closer to the hunt. I’ve also found a couple of tanks with no roads to them with plenty of sign. I’ll put some cameras on them towards the end of October. The unit is beautiful
93f8d6c11e7488d084c8a3eb08869f41.jpg

583076507518e1046c69fb1f8967c472.jpg

e5fd3610e13afdf9e075b1f2dae5b935.jpg
41c0f51f401094ed7c3a71b12c5e0dea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unit 9 is a fantastic unit with probably top 3 genetics in the state. Those late hunts are more difficult obviously, but still very do able. Most bulls will be killed off of water or sitting trails. You are off to the right start and that is putting boots on the ground and getting familiar with the lay of the land. The weather leading up to the hunt will be a determining factor on how you approach the hunt. If it's warm and dry, sit water. If not, I'd glass the canyons and do some spot and stalk.

Jsweet24

FNG
@Slim Jim Would you be open to discussing what you learned about this unit? I’m heading out there on a second scouting trip soon would love to hear your thoughts

AzAustin

FNG
Would you mind sharing what you found with me also. Considering applying in this unit for the late archery hunt.

Jsweet24

FNG
Would you mind sharing what you found with me also. Considering applying in this unit for the late archery hunt.
It’s a tough hunt like everyone said. I had my chance on a huge bull just wasn’t very comfortable with the angle at 65 yards. Sitting water wasn’t productive since there was water everywhere and they are real hard to find during the day since glassing isn’t an option. I would hire a guide because the giants are still out there I saw them at night when driving. That’s what I would do different if I had this tag again