Az otc 2018-2019

CVA5

FNG
First time posting after a lot of lurking. I thought the thread on this topic from 2017 was interesting, so thought i would see if can get another started.

This will be my first season hunting the desert. Will be heading to the Wikieup area, hunting around burro creek campground in 16a , 44a, 18b and 20c corner. Main reason is this is only a 10hr drive for me and looks like some fun country. I wont be hunting till later in the January, leave the 18th(short work week for me with martin luther king day off and no fri work).I am hoping the deer are still in the rut since i will have a very steep learning curve . Does anyone have any info on how the conditions in that region have been feed and water wise this year? I currently have an email out to the area game biologist.

Anyone been out hunting the Dec/Jan OTC? The rut started out in the desert yet? whose heading out that way?

Last edited:

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to rokslide! I just got back from western AZ a few days ago. Mule deer are definitely starting to rut. I would expect the rut will be starting to wind down when you commence your hunt on the 19th but get up high, glass and you will find deer. Best of luck! :p

hunter325

FNG
I'm kinda in the same boat, never been out there but already getting the ball rolling for a Jan 2020 hunt, gonna take my son for an early graduation gift trip, we will be there probably from the 1st to the 8th. Best of luck to you!

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I leave Wednesday for my 2nd go around out there. Missed a small buck in ‘15, so excited to get back and try to redeem myself.

It certainly is a great place to spend some time during the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoJo

WKR
The water situation is good...for the deer. We've had some rain recently, and snow up higher.

The mule deer should be rutting good in the desert now.

Snake-wise, we've had some cold weather, but all it takes is a warm day to bring some rattlers out in the desert. I have seen them out on warm days almost every month of the year.

Going to try the Mazatzal Wilderness around Payson in a couple weeks

Are you hunting mule deer in the Wilderness? You may see more whitetails.

Last edited:

bohntr

WKR
They are rutting......my buddy’s buck from two days ago. With this one gone, not sure what I'm going to hunt now. :)

DSC-0014.jpg

Last edited:

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Beautiful buck! I'm 3 days out from 13 days of living like a desert rat! Deer like your buddies are consuming my dreams right now. Can't wait.

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from 5 days up there, caught that storm on the first day and hunted in 6" of snow, managed to get a Javi. Deer were definitely moving but we didn't get on anything big, saw quite a few smaller ones. Good luck to everyone headed out, so much fun, love it out there.

cuernos

FNG
Just got back bucks are still rutting. Found the majority of bucks with does in the smaller foothills. Good luck.

Heading out in the a.m., to Northern/Central part of the state and working my way south, how have the forest service roads been? Any road closures due to snow or mud?

Welcome to rokslide! I just got back from western AZ a few days ago. Mule deer are definitely starting to rut. I would expect the rut will be starting to wind down when you commence your hunt on the 19th but get up high, glass and you will find deer. Best of luck! :p
What? What unit are you in that they are rutting Dec 27th???? Just got back from AZ today, rut is just getting going, early rut in central AZ.

Attachments

• D3FE095D-4416-4E72-BC76-281D9D8EA896.jpeg
    D3FE095D-4416-4E72-BC76-281D9D8EA896.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 163