Az otc 2018-2019

fwafwow

WKR
Just got back, quite a trip, some dirt bags stole my cooler full of my pre made food for the week so I had to live on backpacking food. They even took my effin water!

Got in range of 3 bucks with no shot opportunity, one really nice 3x2, big tall joker! Virtually no rut activity from the Muley bucks but saw a whitetail chasing a doe all over this morning.

Back Monday for the last few days, nice to get a shower tonight!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow - that sucks about the thieves. Did they break into a vehicle?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
No it was left out, luckily I didn’t leave any gear out! Was out a camp site!

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Wow - love that you got some javelinas! What was the story - you shot them after tagging out? Or they were in the wrong place at the wrong time? And wow - sweet buck

We were predominately hunting coues deer and had some fantastic hunting. From sunrise to sunset on day 1 was constant action and stalks. Seemed like every time we sat down to glass within 5 minutes we were on a least one coues buck to chase. So many close calls that day (one that ducked the string shaving the top of his back, another that didn't give us a good shot angle, less than 40 yards of another that ended up either smelling or hearing us, and an other just outside of range). In the following days, as we continued to hunt for coues we spotted this single javelina on the top of a hill. We made a mad dash over, crept up the leeward side where we found a big ol' rattler and up and over the top. There was between 15-20 javelina huddled all together snoozing. We took down two good ones filling our tags. Subsequently, we stubbled across some good muley bucks and were fortunate enough to take home some nice bucks and fill the freezer!

But to answer your question, it was certainly a wrong place at the wrong time for that single javelina on top of the hill ;)

IMG_4965.jpg

fwafwow

WKR
That's awesome - thanks for the detail. I'm working with a buddy to plan our first venture out there, and I'm having some difficulty envisioning how things *might* go, so your experience has me pumped. Not asking you to divulge a secret spot, but one question we had was whether we might expect to see rattlers. About how far south were you?

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
You won’t see rattlers often in January, but there’s always a chance.

What bailer said. This was the first rattler I've seen from the central part of the state all the way south. He was so lethargic, when poked, he hardly moved.

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
just got back last Friday and had a blast! Saw deer everyday. Put a stalk on a 4x4 (twice) but kept getting busted by his does. We even found some Coues buck/does, my buddy put a stalk on him but also got busted by does.

For those that are asking for tips: Scouting, lots of it! My buddy and I both marked a bunch of places on On X and spent the first 3 days driving all these spots and found deer in most of them, and luckily found a little canyon that the bucks were hanging out in. We didn't tag out but had a great time.

kennyt

FNG
No

That stinks to think it might have been another hunter. I have heard reports of that happening by the border. Luckily the only thing I have had taken out of my camp was gas.

dtrkyman

WKR
Don’t think it was another hunter but who knows?

3 more days in there, two good stalks on mic 4x4s, wind got me both times, one was at fifty waiting for him to stand

If there is something tougher to sneak on and kill with a bow you can have it!

Serious love hate relationship I’m having with these deer!

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
The OTC Arizona hunt seems to be the new hot thing I feel like everywhere I look I am seeing threads or articles on this. Any resident hunters noticing an uptick in non-resident hunters?
No Az hunts are not the new thing it's Idaho bro.. lol just kidding every otc state is getting it due to a lot of Western states managing for trophy hunts. At least not every yahoo can get a rifle tag n come to Az n shoot all your 2 points look at the bright side.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

NomadHunter603

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at doing this trip next January. Just out of curiosity, if any of you are flying out, how are your logistics working as far as a rental vehicle and coolers and what not?