AZ OTC Intell

Ten Bears

WKR
Trying to put together an Arizona OTC Unit 27 January hunt as I lost my entire 2019 fall season recovering from stroke/heart surgery. With that being said I just got the OK from the doctors to workout/get back in the woods and would love some info on what I am getting into.

1. Weather- heading south of Alpine and I have never hunted AZ so what should I expect weather wise ? Snow, wind, rain, etc ?

2. Road access. I typically check with GnF immediately before I head out for road closures etc. I am flying and renting a Jeep/4 wheel drive. Is this a tire chain deal or will I be fine with just with a normal 4x4 ? Also should I fly into PHX or ABQ ? I know the distances but I also know not all drives are equal.

3. Any camping supply stores in the area to grab fuel for the pocket rocket ?

4. Anything else someone could add that has been there...such as places to stay, food, gas, etc.

Thanks for anyone that wants to reply or PM. This trip is more about getting back out there and shaking some of the fear off of being solo after a health scare and maybe get lucky and find some mulies.

I don’t have any suggestions, but I commend you for setting a goal and doing what you love and what drives you. Good luck and can’t wait to read about your hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChanMan

FNG
Glad to hear you are getting back into the woods! I don’t have any info on the unit but two of my friends and I will be in unit 27 around the same area for the opening in January! We’re from AR, might cross paths! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Oh boy do I thoroughly enjoy this site and the great people with great intel but boy does it hurt when the secrets of home get out:LOL: But i recon I can do my part to help out with info as I grew up in the area. I'm not sure how to pm but send me a pm if you will and hopefully I can navigate to it and help you out. Kinda see what you're plans are and what I can help out with.

fmyth

WKR
I like to camp and ride atvs in the Big Lake area in the summer but haven't hunted it yet so don't have much intel to offer. I'd stop by the Forest Service Office in Alpine on your way in to find out about access etc. I have noticed several of the paved roads we use for access have gates and I think they close them in the winter after big snow storms.
Alpine Ranger District
PO Box 469
42634 Hwy. 180/191
Alpine, AZ 85920
928-339-5000

Last edited:

fmyth

WKR
Trying to put together an Arizona OTC Unit 27 January hunt as I lost my entire 2019 fall season recovering from stroke/heart surgery. With that being said I just got the OK from the doctors to workout/get back in the woods and would love some info on what I am getting into.

1. Weather- heading south of Alpine and I have never hunted AZ so what should I expect weather wise ? Snow, wind, rain, etc ?

2. Road access. I typically check with GnF immediately before I head out for road closures etc. I am flying and renting a Jeep/4 wheel drive. Is this a tire chain deal or will I be fine with just with a normal 4x4 ? Also should I fly into PHX or ABQ ? I know the distances but I also know not all drives are equal.

3. Any camping supply stores in the area to grab fuel for the pocket rocket ?

4. Anything else someone could add that has been there...such as places to stay, food, gas, etc.

Thanks for anyone that wants to reply or PM. This trip is more about getting back out there and shaking some of the fear off of being solo after a health scare and maybe get lucky and find some mulies.
If Allegiant Airlines flies from your local airport you can land in Mesa and deal with a much smaller crowd and be closer to your destination.

bohntr

WKR
Last year the highway was closed a few times from a top the rim to just off the rim, so weather can get severe,...just never know. 27 is a tough unit to hunt first time out, IMO, but neat in its own right. Some of the low desert units should also be an option as well, IMO.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
Last year the highway was closed a few times from a top the rim to just off the rim, so weather can get severe,...just never know. 27 is a tough unit to hunt first time out, IMO, but neat in its own right. Some of the low desert units should also be an option as well, IMO.

Thanks Bohntr-

I have read through some your posts on AZ and you definitely seem to have it dialed in. Appreciate the advice.

-John

RoJo

WKR
Snow could be pretty deep above the rim in January, and I think the mule deer will probably have moved to lower elevations by then. There are plenty of lower elevations you can hunt below the rim. Driving from PHX to the southern half of 27 would be via the 60, 70, and 191.