AZ OTC questions answered

I've seen a lot of AZ OTC questions lately so I thought I'd compile the general advice I give into one helpful thread. Of course, I invite everyone else to add their own wisdom and not take mine too seriously ;)

Q: I’d like to hunt AZ OTC, where should I go?
A: Read the proclamation, it has all the open units and dates. There are 4 archery seasons: Early in mid-August to mid-September, second half of December, first half of January, and all of January. In the early season, you will be mainly chasing bachelor herds and in the later season the deer are in pre-rut to rut (lower latitude = later rut). The unit write-ups on the AZGFD website will point you in the right direction in each unit.

Q: What unit should I go to?
A: One that is legal, see above. I can tell you that if you were hoping for units 1, 3A/3C, 12 or 13 in 2019/2020 don’t go there unless you want a violation. As a general rule, northern units are open in August/September and southern units are open December/January. Some units esp. in the middle are open both.

Q: What is the best unit to go to?
A: That is the million-dollar question. Since you’re asking, check out unit 14, I hear it is great!

Q: What is the best unit to go to if I want a big buck?
A: That is another million-dollar question. Get back with me when you find out

Q: I have PTO in January and want to archery hunt the rut just like all my favorite social media stars but they won’t tell me where to go no matter how many times I DM them. I’m not looking for honey holes but could someone share with me the GPS coordinates of a decent buck. I don’t need 200”+ but something in the 150-180” class would be really sweet.
A: …

Q: What is the best unit to go to if I don’t care how big my buck is?
A: In all honesty, all of them/none of them are. AZ’s hunt guidelines (see order 2, starting on page 8, and esp. page 11) stipulate that as harvest goes up, OTC availability goes down. They trim (e.g. all of January to half of January) and eventually take out OTC hunts and move to draw-only (e.g. unit 12 went off OTC ca. 2007 IIRC)

Q: How should I hunt them?
A: Spot and stalk is the only way I’ve gotten on deer. I would recommend picking up ‘Hunting Open Country Mule Deer’ by Dwight Schuh. I’ve heard others have success sitting water or used blinds/tree stands

Q: What gear should I bring?
A: Not really any different than anywhere else out west, although AZ tends to be warmer than most (strongly suggest you research your intended area beforehand). I will say decent glass on a tripod is the ticket. Even you are coming from out east and only have 8x42 binos, mounting them on a tripod still makes a huge difference. You don’t need alpha glass but if that’s what you are telling your wife, yes you do. My suggestion is 10x42’s (or 8’s) but many love their 12x50’s. If you have them, big binos (15+) and spotting scopes are great. The better option is a perennial debate and more of a personal preference. If don’t have either, don’t let that hold you back, you will still find deer with 8’s and 10’s.

Q: Do I need to hunt in extremely remote areas?
A: It’s a pretty cool experience but you don’t need to. I would avoid hunting an area that is heavily crisscrossed by roads but I have watched deer hunker down under the nose of truck hunters and stand back up to feed once they turn the corner. Obviously, heavy hunting will send bucks into hiding so getting away from the roads and crowds is generally a good idea. However, at even 1/2 mile in I rarely see other hunters

Q: Can I shoot a Coues’ buck?
A: If you are a glutton for punishment, you just might

Q: What are my chances of success?
A: To be honest, pretty low. Official odds are roughly 1 in 20 although some successful hunters have told me they ignore the survey to avoid steering the hunting recommendations. In any case, the adage ’90% of the bucks are taken by 10% of the hunters’ is pretty true although that may be closer to 95/5. To be fair, keep in mind some unsuccessful hunters passed on
small bucks and many residents don’t take it super seriously since the tag is cheap and OTC

Q: How can I increase my odds?
A: Scouting mainly. E-Scouting is good, boots on the ground are far better. If that isn’t feasible, hunting the same unit year after year is the next best.

Q: Is it as awesome as social media says it is?
A: If by awesome you mean easy, no. Keep in mind many of the guys are scouting a lot, having others scout for them, or getting honey holes from locals. Again keep that in mind if you come home empty-handed. There is always a reason that OTC hunts are OTC.

Q: Are you just trying to keep non-residents out of your state?
A: No! I am happy for you to contribute to my G&F

Q: How else can I use my expensive hunting license?
A: Depending on your unit and time-frame, there are lots of good fishing and small game opportunities. If you come in Dec/Jan in the desert units and you tag out (or just give up), break out the shotgun and try some quail. Having a bird gun and not a bow tends to bring out all the deer out of the woodwork anyways

Last edited:

marktole

WKR
I’ve done that hunt 3 years in a row now and was so close to actually getting one last year....a couple of times. Oh well, all part of the fun!

Good write up on info, the AZ G&F website is a great place to start!

LightFoot

WKR
Thanks for this write up.

I am looking to get down there in January if my schedule will allow.

>>>----JAKE----->

I've seen a lot of AZ OTC questions lately so I thought I'd compile the general advice I give into one helpful thread. Of course, I invite everyone else to add their own wisdom and not take mine too seriously ;)

Q: I’d like to hunt AZ OTC, where should I go?
A: Read the proclamation, it has all the open units and dates. There are 4 archery seasons: Early in mid-August to mid-September, second half of December, first half of January, and all of January. In the early season, you will be mainly chasing bachelor herds and in the later season the deer are in pre-rut to rut (lower latitude = later rut). The unit write-ups on the AZGFD website will point you in the right direction in each unit.

Q: What unit should I go to?
A: One that is legal, see above. I can tell you that if you were hoping for units 1, 3A/3C, 12 or 13 in 2019/2020 don’t go there unless you want a violation. As a general rule, northern units are open in August/September and southern units are open December/January. Some units esp. in the middle are open both.

Q: What is the best unit to go to?
A: That is the million-dollar question. Since you’re asking, check out unit 14, I hear it is great!

Q: What is the best unit to go to if I want a big buck?
A: That is another million-dollar question. Get back with me when you find out

Q: I have PTO in January and want to archery hunt the rut just like all my favorite social media stars but they won’t tell me where to go no matter how many times I DM them. I’m not looking for honey holes but could someone share with me the GPS coordinates of a decent buck. I don’t need 200”+ but something in the 150-180” class would be really sweet.
A: …

Q: What is the best unit to go to if I don’t care how big my buck is?
A: In all honesty, all of them/none of them are. AZ’s hunt guidelines (see order 2, starting on page 8, and esp. page 11) stipulate that as harvest goes up, OTC availability goes down. They trim (e.g. all of January to half of January) and eventually take out OTC hunts and move to draw-only (e.g. unit 12 went off OTC ca. 2007 IIRC)

Q: How should I hunt them?
A: Spot and stalk is the only way I’ve gotten on deer. I would recommend picking up ‘Hunting Open Country Mule Deer’ by Dwight Schuh. I’ve heard others have success sitting water or used blinds/tree stands

Q: What gear should I bring?
A: Not really any different than anywhere else out west, although AZ tends to be warmer than most (strongly suggest you research your intended area beforehand). I will say decent glass on a tripod is the ticket. Even you are coming from out east and only have 8x42 binos, mounting them on a tripod still makes a huge difference. You don’t need alpha glass but if that’s what you are telling your wife, yes you do. My suggestion is 10x42’s (or 8’s) but many love their 12x50’s. If you have them, big binos (15+) and spotting scopes are great. The better option is a perennial debate and more of a personal preference. If don’t have either, don’t let that hold you back, you will still find deer with 8’s and 10’s.

Q: Do I need to hunt in extremely remote areas?
A: It’s a pretty cool experience but you don’t need to. I would avoid hunting an area that is heavily crisscrossed by roads but I have watched deer hunker down under the nose of truck hunters and stand back up to feed once they turn the corner. Obviously, heavy hunting will send bucks into hiding so getting away from the roads and crowds is generally a good idea. However, at even 1/2 mile in I rarely see other hunters

Q: Can I shoot a Coues’ buck?
A: If you are a glutton for punishment, you just might

Q: What are my chances of success?
A: To be honest, pretty low. Official odds are roughly 1 in 20 although some successful hunters have told me they ignore the survey to avoid steering the hunting recommendations. In any case, the adage ’90% of the bucks are taken by 10% of the hunters’ is pretty true although that may be closer to 95/5. To be fair, keep in mind some unsuccessful hunters passed on
small bucks and many residents don’t take it super seriously since the tag is cheap and OTC

Q: How can I increase my odds?
A: Scouting mainly. E-Scouting is good, boots on the ground are far better. If that isn’t feasible, hunting the same unit year after year is the next best.

Q: Is it as awesome as social media says it is?
A: If by awesome you mean easy, no. Keep in mind many of the guys are scouting a lot, having others scout for them, or getting honey holes from locals. Again keep that in mind if you come home empty-handed. There is always a reason that OTC hunts are OTC.

Q: Are you just trying to keep non-residents out of your state?
A: No! I am happy for you to contribute to my G&F

Q: How else can I use my expensive hunting license?
A: Depending on your unit and time-frame, there are lots of good fishing and small game opportunities. If you come in Dec/Jan in the desert units and you tag out (or just give up), break out the shotgun and try some quail. Having a bird gun and not a bow tends to bring out all the deer out of the woodwork anyways

Is it worth it to get one of the scouting packages that some guys offer?

Jaker_cc

WKR
Is it worth it to get one of the scouting packages that some guys offer?

Depends on the outfit, some guys actually have good info. Others you could find better stuff on game and fish or gohunt. Once they get paid you get what you get and that’s it. Who are you looking at getting a package from if you don’t mind me asking? Pm if you would rather

OP
canyonhunter47
How far south would I have to go to catch a mule deer rut in the last week of December?
Hard to say exactly. The finer points of rut timing are still mysterious to me. Early to mid January is supposed to be peak rut in the south but I also understand it’s a little more flexible than northern states. I’ve even see deer mate on Labor Day weekend.

As far as seeing good bucks near does, I’ve seen them from before Christmas to into January in the desert units. I think Coues are usually a little later but I’ve heard contradictory info

Last edited:

Mhayes553

FNG
One of the funnest hunts I’ve been on. The amount of wildlife that lives in southern Arizona is truly amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot the planning a trip in 2022 for Arizona and...

But you covered everything else!! Haha favorite social media stars love it. and still handed out some solid advice good job.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’ve got a great spot mid January for rut in south AZ. I’ve been trying to find rut the last few years in December. This last weekend, I found December rut! Ask Fork area they were rutting!
How far south would I have to go to catch a mule deer rut in the last week of December?

Ghayes15

FNG
I have got one question, I heard the OTC license go from January to December. But I read in the proclamation they are good for 1 year. So my question is if get a OTC tag in Aug and do not harvest Aug,Sept, or December, can I go in January still? I am new to OTC.

bohntr

WKR
I have got one question, I heard the OTC license go from January to December. But I read in the proclamation they are good for 1 year. So my question is if get a OTC tag in Aug and do not harvest Aug,Sept, or December, can I go in January still? I am new to OTC.

No. Deer licenses and tags are good for the calendar year and not the fiscal year. Archery OTC deer tags are valid from January 1 to December 31.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep, the tag I bought and didn’t fill in January will be the one in my pocket when I go back in a few months now in August. They are tough little deer to get with a bow!

sgibson

FNG
The license yes, it's good for a full year from when you purchased. The tag is only good until the end of the calendar year.