AZ otc

jlahlf

FNG
Hello everyone, I'm looking at planning a OTC archery hunt for Arizona for (hopefully) Jan of 2021. I'm just starting this whole planning process and looking for some information, any help would be greatly appreciated. Currently I'm interested in units 27 or 28. I would prefer to make this a pack in hunt since I love not seeing anyone else when I hunt. Just looking for general information on these units. Some specifics I'm interested in is the availability of water in Jan and does it pay to also pick up a javelinia tag for either of these units? Thanks in advance.

jmav58

WKR
Use the search function under the Forums Tab. This topic has quite a few threads over it.

koupe1447

FNG
Hello everyone, I'm looking at planning a OTC archery hunt for Arizona for (hopefully) Jan of 2021. I'm just starting this whole planning process and looking for some information, any help would be greatly appreciated. Currently I'm interested in units 27 or 28. I would prefer to make this a pack in hunt since I love not seeing anyone else when I hunt. Just looking for general information on these units. Some specifics I'm interested in is the availability of water in Jan and does it pay to also pick up a javelinia tag for either of these units? Thanks in advance.
Im in the same boat as you. Looking to go to the same area. E-scouting can only do so much. It sounds like the southern side of the unit is much more accessible this time of year due to the weather.

sgibson

FNG
Im in the same boat as you. Looking to go to the same area. E-scouting can only do so much. It sounds like the southern side of the unit is much more accessible this time of year due to the weather.
Not only is it more accessible (speaking specifically to unit 27), but that time of year the deer tend to have dropped off the edge of the rim into the lower country. Lots of opportunity for pack in hunting, mostly towards the river, into the wilderness area. There's a lot of people that hit that unit for that hunt, but most of them won't get very far off the road (it's steep, rough country and can be a lot of frickin work). That time of year there should be a lot of water to be found, so glassing and pounding the brush will probably be your best bets.