AZ resident tags

Vandy321

WKR
We may movingnthe family to AZ at some point. I don't apply as a NR because I'm too cheap to pay for a license before I can draw (or not draw) and losing that $$.

Just as a generality, how is the Resident Elk options, mainly talking archery, but would gladly rifle hunt every other year of that was a good option. Are you able to draw a decent tag every year as a resident, or are you looking every couple years and having to head out of state?

I've only seen a few comments on tags and it left me with the impression it's tough even as a resident?

Any inputs?

WKR
There is a couple of units that you might be able to draw every 2-3 years but they aren't the most desirable units. I would plan on hunting out of state every year for elk. You can draw a coues deer tag every year but elk is tough to draw, even on the late rifle hunts.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
It's a lottery but a modified preference/bonus point system. 20% of tags go to those with the most bonus points. 80% of tags is random while still using bonus points. Most archey tags take 7 plus points for a resident to guarantee a tag. Early rifle is 23 points and late rifle is 7 is points. Hardest state to get an elk tag as a resident. But I would say the easiest hunting

As an aside, it's worth mentioning that AZ elk tags are in general hard to draw due to limited habitat/resources, and thus limited elk populations in the state. Here’s a rough list of elk populations by state (in thousands) that I threw together from a few sources a handful of years ago. I'm no biologist so excuse me if any of the numbers are off, but the comparable magnitudes should be pretty close:

Arizona- 37
Colorado- 270
Idaho- 120
Montana- 150
New Mexico- 85
Oregon- 125
Utah- 68
Washington- 60
Wyoming- 120