AZ sheep points

Anyone see the data on sheep points in the Epic magazine? It definitely appears to me that there is a huge increase in Since people aren’t hunting sheep every year I basically look at the people with 1 point getting into the draw for that species each year. Of course it is possible to sit on points for 5 years before losing. Assuming it is accurate there are 4964 Residents with 2 points and over 130k with one point. 2514 Nonres with 2 pts and 10,530 with one. That’s a lot of people hopping in during 2020. I am in the game with 16 and wondering if I will ever draw. Deer and had a significant increase as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
The one bonus point group includes everyone with the hunter Ed point, even if they have never applied for sheep.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
That's not to say there hasn't been an increase in applicants with zero points (a reasonable proxy for first time applicants I think). From the last five years of draw data by genus. Both Res and NR.

2016 - 1,484
2017 - 1,546
2018 - 1,764
2019 - 2,291
2020 - 3,000

There is a strong likelihood that in a lifetime of applying a strong majority, particularly non residents will never draw a desert sheep tag.

Doesn't stop me from trying but that is the reality of the situation.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

You cannot win if you do not play. But being realistic...

There are 4062 Residents with 17+ points. There are 2344 Non-Residents with 17+ points. There are 467 Residents with 16 points and 354 Non-Residents with 16 points.

There's 122 total sheep tags this year. While the math sucks, there's still a chance.

But if you are hunting in AZ or buying other points in AZ then you might as well keep ponying up the $13 to apply.

OP
Marine4life
The one bonus point group includes everyone with the hunter Ed point, even if they have never applied for sheep.

Thanks for clarifying. Makes sense now why so many people with one point listed across all species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 12 points and know that I will never draw a premium tag in AZ. But I still toss my hat in the ring every year for the "lower" units.

puunjob1

FNG
Good luck. I am an AZ resident and it is hard for us to get pulled too. I use the Gohunt app it has the historical draw odds by point level for the state by zone. While you can get draw results and hunt success from the AZGF website it is all in PDF and requires some work to get really useful information out of it. The app made it a lot easier.