AZ spring bear

Northpark

WKR
Anyone else doing AZ spring bear? It’s my first year in Arizona and while I know there are plenty of bears here I’m not really sure where to start on where to look. Water? Or a food source? I’ll take advice if anyone is feeling generous.

I tend to 1) either glass them up in the AM and figure out how to get a stalk on or 2) find their food source and setup an ambush.

Be mindful of ensuring that there are no cubs.

PS: Grab a lion tag if the quota has not been met.

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
I tend to 1) either glass them up in the AM and figure out how to get a stalk on or 2) find their food source and setup an ambush.

Be mindful of ensuring that there are no cubs.

PS: Grab a lion tag if the quota has not been met.
What kind of food sources are they generally keying in on during the spring? I know in August it’s pears, October it’s acorns but what’s around in the spring?

What kind of food sources are they generally keying in on during the spring? I know in August it’s pears, October it’s acorns but what’s around in the spring?
Greens early on to jumpstart their digestive system. From there whatever is around that they are in the mood for. Seen them eating left over acorns and manzanita beans in the spring and them passing the same in the fall.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning a July hunt. I am assuming that by July they will be down and eating cactus pears. Can any experienced Arizona bear hunters confirm this?

tyler75

FNG
Pears won’t be ripe until August.
Sometimes they are ripe for opening weekend for the fall hunt and sometimes it’s the 2nd weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Pears won’t be ripe until August.
Sometimes they are ripe for opening weekend for the fall hunt and sometimes it’s the 2nd weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK, thanks. What food sources should I look for and should they still be up high?

Blackcow

WKR
Make sure you keep an eye on the female harvest quota either online or the phone number, particularly if you’re waiting until July. Many of those hunts will get closed until they re open August 7th.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure you keep an eye on the female harvest quota either online or the phone number, particularly if you’re waiting until July. Many of those hunts will get closed until they re open August 7th.
Someone just told me the same thing in a FB group. Can I expect any units to still be open in July?

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
I’d just hate for you to make plans just to have them get blown out on you.
Thanks. It is a steep curve learning another state's management system. We will do it when we have multiple units still open. I am sure we could do August or October. When are the cactus fruit ripe?