AZ Unit 1 Early Season Archery Deer

I got drawn for this hunt 8/21-9/10. Never been to Unit 1 but have taken a nice 160” mule deer in neighboring unit 27. There were 125 tags for this early season archery hunt and the unit is known more for trophy elk. Anyone here have any experience with mule deer in the unit? I’m looking at the higher elevations like Mt.Baldy and Escudilla Mountain at just under 10k’ which seem to have decent sub alpine habitat For mule deer according to AZGFD. The only problem is that the areas don’t seem that big. Maybe scouting will prove different.

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be there with you for my first archery mule deer hunt. Best of luck to ya! I’m looking to learn anything and everything I can on this trip. Scouting in person isn’t an option for me unfortunately, so I’m relying on computer maps to help me find some areas.

Last edited:

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
Not a lot of deer in 1, but they are there. I'd shoot the first mature 4 point I saw. I wouldn't be picky.

OP
AZ SpotStalker
Thanks for the replies. It doesn't help that the elk rut is starting up at the tail end of this deer hunt. I find that usually the bulls push the deer out when they start getting horny.

P&Y3times

FNG
I hunted that unit 16 years ago during the early elk season and I saw very few mule deer.

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm hoping this unit going from an OTC to draw might help the population slowly build.

I grew up in Eagar and still frequent going up there. There are definitely some good deer up there if you have questions you can message me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
AZ does not have migrations from alpine to lower elevations like say Colorado. Deer will be every where but not in great numbers. I would look in the wallow burn.

akrem44

FNG
Check the old burn. Try and set some cams out and see what you re working with in that area. The deer are there you just have to find them