AZ unit 12BE.... anyone with experience?

MadMarkie

FNG
After 25 unsuccessful applications, I finally have an Arizona desert bighorn sheep tag!

I've been researching as much as possible, scouting as work permits, practicing shooting, working out on the bike and with the pack, and paring down my pack weight for this once-in-a-lifetime hunt.

Just curious if any of you Roksliders have hunted 12B (or any of the Northern units) and have any tips to share? The unit manager had quite a bit of good info, but any and all stories that I might learn from are welcome... shoot, just hearing a good stories is probably fun enough! I'm a DIY backpack kinda guy for Coues, but am open to whatever it takes to maximize the experience (not necessarily the inches of horn, but bigger is always nice). Post here or PM if you feel like helping out!

Cheers, Mark.

BuzzH

WKR
Hunted 15C North a number of years ago. Spent 12 days prior to the season scouting and killed a ram within the first hour of the season. I saw 40-50 rams in the 12 days of scouting, which was a majority of the rams in the unit.

Don't know anything about 12B but good luck.

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 15 C South last year, rained like hell the day before opening day. Wind was bad and cold opening day making it hard to glass. It was easy to find sheep early in the mornings and when the wind would pick up, the sheep would go to cover.

Enjoy your experience, you may never get a chance to hunt sheep again. If you can find coues deer, sheep will not be a problem, you will get a ram. I would not even think of doing this hunt as a DIY hunt, the time i had with my son and two close friends made the hunt extra special.

I envy anyone with their first sheep tag, as the anticipation for the hunt is half the fun of the hunt.

OP
MadMarkie

MadMarkie

FNG
Thanks for the replies and thoughts.... I do wish I had some family members that were both interested and capable, but a couple of good friends are being recruited.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
Find a grip of guys to help you out. Contact the AZ desert sheep society and they will find people to help you out. There are always people looking to help sheep hunters and more eyes are better when hunting sheep. I would help you but I have 2 buddies with sheep tags this year.