AZ unit 27 OCT -COUES guide or no guide ?

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
drew 2 tags for OCT 23-29 rifle in 27 AZ. I have been told i dont need to get a guide and that i can do it my self. I have hunted 27 before but up on the rim for Bear , Turkey, and Muleys. Hunted around 4 Bar Mesa for a couple days too but the road hunters where to crazy for me. I would really like to do it myself , but how much more are my odds going to go up with a guide ? Not picky either any class of deer ,just would like to get myself a coues deer. What would yall do if your a out of state hunter but not afraid of anything (tag soup ) and have 2 tags for that unit?

If you've never hunted Coues before, I do recommend going the guided route. I am basing this off the number of experienced hunters I see in MX every year that have never hunted Coues before. The majority of them, despite extensive hunting experience, would have a difficult time finding a Coues let alone getting a shot off without someone helping them out.

If you do go the guided route, I do recommend reaching out to Dan Adler and Diamond Outfitters. You'll dramatically increase your odds but will also seriously shorten the learning curve (so DIY going forward would be a non-issue).

OP
slick trick

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
kind of what iam thinking- since we have 2 tags i may put my boy with a guide and ill stay with the daughter chasing bear and cats , and if i see a deer so be it. I just hate paying someone for something i could figure out given the time -but thats the tbl season is only so long.

kind of what iam thinking- since we have 2 tags i may put my boy with a guide and ill stay with the daughter chasing bear and cats , and if i see a deer so be it. I just hate paying someone for something i could figure out given the time -but thats the tbl season is only so long.
If planning to chase bears and mountain lions, keep an eye on the female harvest limit. If the annual harvest limit has been met, then the season is over.

OP
slick trick

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
Yea hopeful that it will stay open at least for that week ,that's the reason behind the cat tag. She will be happy just getting to go and carry a gun with us.

BowWalker

FNG
Coues deer are really hard to find until you get an eye for them. If you are a patient glasser you could probably fill both tags with ok bucks. That unit does have some studs and your good outfitters know where a lot of them are. So, in short If you don’t mind spending the money, you would probably learn a lot from a guide and the next time you get a coues deer hunt you will know what’s up.

Coues14

FNG
I live in Morenci in lower 27 if you have questions you can send me a message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi - I have scouted and had a successful elk hunt in 27. Rose Peak, Robinson's Mesa, Hot Air tank, etc... But have not hunted whitetail there. I met a lion hunter in Eagle Creek who had great advice on the elk so wanted to reach out to you about those areas or others that may be better for WT?? Thanks a million!!