AZ unit 41

VANDAL

WKR
I've never hunted Arizona before but I'm thinking about hunting unit 41 archery around the second week in Jan. I'll be in Yuma for work and I thought why not mix that in with a little late season archery. Probably 2-3 days of hunting would be all I can do.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Palomas plains or the Eagletail wilderness area. So for you guys that have hunted this unit or general region of AZ is it worth the money and effort given that I'll be going in with no scouting and new to hunting deer in that environment?

Of course any specific help on exactly where and how to hunt would be great. I can trade info for ID, WY, and parts of COL if you want.

Thanks in advance

Corey

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
I helped a guy on a sheep hunt a couple of years ago in the Eagletails. Don't expect to see many deer, but there are some good ones in there. Plan on doing lots of glassing and the biggest thing you'd have going for you is it is January and they'll be chasing does. You might have better luck around the edge of the wilderness areas at the edge of the farmland, but no idea on property boundaries and such. Good luck should you decide to do it.

Ron

SDHNTR

WKR
Not sure I would fork over the out of state license and tag money for just 2-3 days. There are some huge bucks in that country, but few and far between. You could go many days without seeing any deer at all. It's a low density hunt for sure, but you never know, B&C caliber bucks do come out of there each year.

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
Thanks for the info!

I will no doubt be way out of my element but I'm leaning towards doing it at this point.

If I do ill make it a live hunt so you guy that know how to hunt that stuff can get a good laugh

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vandal, I would go hunt. You can get a lot done in 3 days and the chances of killing a buck while at work, home or on the couch are slim.

Gman

WKR
I agree - go. Yes out of state license and tags are minty but no matter your passion you've got to pay to play. People from all over the world come here to CO (and many other places) and gladly pay $100 a day to ski and snowboard. Many people like to hit golf courses in AZ while on business and that'll cost $100-$200 a day. When I consider that $151 for out of state license and then the tag fees don't seem so bad for the experience you'll get back. Like Rosin said I've never browsed my photos or conjured fond memories of sitting on the couch or eating at another Chilis while on a business trip.

Califhuntn

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Slim Jim when you say the same tag would that be specific to that area or could a guy use that same tag to hunt Northern Arizona.

Slim Jim

WKR
You can use the tag for most of the state except north of the Grand Canyon units 12 and 13. I think that there might be one or two other units as well. Check AZGF website and it will give you the dates as well for each unit. I hope that helps

fredmb

FNG
I know that was a good while ago, but how was the hunt?! I'm going to be heading out there in a couple of weeks and would love to hear some stories about the Eagletail Mountians.