B.C. Archery Goat Hunt

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
Amazing story and adventure. That is an amazing accomplishment.

I will be chasing the beast the colour of winter in the southern part of the province in a couple of weeks with my longbow. This story is a great primer to get one looking forward to the hunt.

brn2ryd

FNG
Thanks for sharing! I've been trying to cut a goat tag this year. 7 days and over a 100km so far. Lots of ups and downs, both physically and emotionally. your story gives me inspiration.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Cool story. Out of curiosity... which shelter were you using? Will it fit 2 guys and gear? Thanks.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
Yup Eolus.

Great size for two and gear. Lots of room plus each person has their own vestibule for storage and exit. This summer I also hunted with a buddy and we used his MSR hubba hubba. The eolus gives you more space compared to the hubba hubba.

In the hubba hubba we had to sleep head to toe as shoulder to shoulder would be very tight. In the eolus I sleep shoulder to shoulder with a partner and there is still space. I also do not use the nest in the eolus so this gives more space.

Great write up and photos about your bowhunt Jimbob! Congratulations on the goat!

All species are doable with the bow! Some just take a lot longer than others.

Dbranholm

FNG
Yup Eolus.

Great size for two and gear. Lots of room plus each person has their own vestibule for storage and exit. This summer I also hunted with a buddy and we used his MSR hubba hubba. The eolus gives you more space compared to the hubba hubba.

In the hubba hubba we had to sleep head to toe as shoulder to shoulder would be very tight. In the eolus I sleep shoulder to shoulder with a partner and there is still space. I also do not use the nest in the eolus so this gives more space.
Did you encounter much wind on the trip? Just curious how the Eolus performed in the mountain wind, I am looking at this tent for a youth sheep hunt my son and I will be doing this fall.

Thanks

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
Did you encounter much wind on the trip? Just curious how the Eolus performed in the mountain wind, I am looking at this tent for a youth sheep hunt my son and I will be doing this fall.

Thanks
No major wind on this hunt but It handled a very strong storm when I was sheep hunting with my son. Sheep hunt. We built a rock wall all around the tent earlier in the day, as the wind was coming underneath. 8-12" rock wall really helped with the wind. You can add extra guylines at each pole and I am going to do that.

To tell you the truth though I was scarred with my son in that storm. Being exposed on the mountain and thunder and lightning probably made it worse, at the moment I wish I had a four-season tent. The Eolus held perfectly and the trip was awesome.

I did a bunch of school hiking trips this fall and the eolus was great. One night we got 3" of wet snow and it held up but I knocked the snow off before the morning (some of the students' tents had collapsed so I was up).

Overall the tent has performed perfectly but I am not 100% confident in it for every situation. 15 miles from the trailhead, a few river crossings, up on an exposed ridge this is not the tent I want. Maybe I'm just getting older and more cautious hunting with my son.

Suga

FNG
Great story, awesome Billy. Congrats and thanks for sharing your adventure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We scoped out the situation and figured we had to go back down and approach from below. We made it up to the goat just as the rain started to sprinkle down. Not much time for pictures or high fives, we wanted to break down this goat and get back to camp ASAP. At 5:30 we made it into the tent as the fog rolled in and the skies opened up.

We lied in our sleeping bags eating as much of our food as we could and recounted the days events. The following morning there was a small break in the weather and we packed up and started heading out. The hike it out was great, pouring rain and busting through devils club was never so much fun.

As I said, I am blessed to live where I do.
AF5zSVq.jpg

zVbMhrX.jpg
Congratulations! Nice to be able to hunt in your own backyard!