B&C Caribou

I'm still learning how to scan old photos to my computer. I think you'll have to click on the pdf tab to see pic.
This Caribou was from a swap hunt, Columbia Blacktail for Alaska Barren Ground Caribou. Taken about 80 miles down the peninsula from King Salmon Ak.

Attachments

• scan0037.pdf
    357 KB · Views: 166
  • B&C Caribou.jpeg
    B&C Caribou.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

VernAK

WKR
definitely a nice caribou.

AKPEN in its day [60s] was the place for big caribou and moose but i haven't followed the herds in years.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A guy by the name of Dan Dobbs had the World Record Barren-ground Caribou as of the printing of my caribou hunting book (2003). That bull was taken from a guide concession in the Katmai region of GMU 9. Many of the largest caribou are descendants from Nelchina Herd transplants to start or boost new herds pre and post statehood. The Adak, Mulchatna and Northern AK Pen Herds are examples.

Yep, Dan’s caribou was 477”.

A few years ago I was in Cold Bay having pancakes with a friend and longtime guide in the area. I saw Dan’s photo on my friends wall of client trophy photos and said “Thats one hell of a Caribou”, to which he responded “It oughta be, it’s the world record”. I’ll never forget that, or the stinky walrus we did a euro mount on the rest of the day while wearing garbage bag parkas.

I'm still learning how to scan old photos to my computer. I think you'll have to click on the pdf tab to see pic.
This Caribou was from a swap hunt, Columbia Blacktail for Alaska Barren Ground Caribou. Taken about 80 miles down the peninsula from King Salmon Ak.
What did that caribou score if ya don't mind me asking?

420 & 4/8s B&C
466 SCI and that's with no back scratchers and no double shovel.
Very cool, thats one helluva bull. I never got my caribou scored by SCI, I'd be curious to know if he breaks 500 in their method. Caribou are so cool, definitely the most underrated big game animal here in Alaska.