B Zone Chatter 2020

gexpro

WKR
I hate to say it, the more and more all of this stuff happens.. the more I understand why people are jumping ship and hunting out of state.. better wildlife management, land & wilderness management.. everything happening in CA lately has just been a disaster..

Underpar

FNG
I have concern with what a "written request" is and "if the request is approved" in order to get your points back. Don't have much faith in DFG or the state in general!

Deer tag fees are nonrefundable regardless of closures due to fire, weather, or other natural disasters (CCR T14-708.2).

Premium deer hunt tags cannot be exchanged, but customers unable to hunt may surrender their tag via mail to the CDFW License and Revenue Branch prior to the season start date along with a written request. The tag must be postmarked prior to the earliest date that the tag is valid for hunting. If the request is approved, preference points will be reinstated and one preference point will be awarded for the species for the hunt year ((CCR T14-708.14(j)). Premium deer tags are defined as any hunt in which the quota filled on or before the first business day after July 1 of the previous year. link opens in new windowView a list of deer tags eligible to be returned as of September 10, 2020 (PDF). Mail tags with written requests to:

Tobias

FNG
I hate to say it, the more and more all of this stuff happens.. the more I understand why people are jumping ship and hunting out of state.. better wildlife management, land & wilderness management.. everything happening in CA lately has just been a disaster..
Hope they keep jumping

Takem

WKR
I mean the millions of unburned acres
Surely when they closed every national forest In the whole state they had a plan for their reopening. Wondering what those benchmarks are, hopefully not precipitation because theres not much on the horizon

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I'm afraid you're overestimating the people in charge. Maybe I've become too cynical but I don't expect they have a plan, at least not one they would stick too.

Takem

WKR
I feel horrible for the people who drew highly coveted tags and cannot hunt because of the closures.. CDFW said all they can do is opt to turn the tag in for a preference point.. as if drawing a big horn sheep tag after 30 years will likely ever happen again. (example)
Good point. Hopefully they can re-issue.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I'm hopeful some people on here can help bring me up to speed as I know nothing about this. I've been hearing repeatedly that the severity of the wildfires this year are due to forest mismanagement. Is there an example of another state with good forest management that CA should be looking to replicate? What is it they do that CA is not doing? I thought maybe OR and WA could be examples, but the wildfires there show that they are in the same predicament CA is.

With ~33 million acres of forest in CA, the only practical option I've thought of for reducing large fire risk would be to pre-burn lines through the forest to limit how far on fire can spread to and even that would require a LOT of manpower.

Apologies to OP if this is straying too far from the B zone specific talk.

gexpro

WKR
I'm hopeful some people on here can help bring me up to speed as I know nothing about this. I've been hearing repeatedly that the severity of the wildfires this year are due to forest mismanagement. Is there an example of another state with good forest management that CA should be looking to replicate? What is it they do that CA is not doing? I thought maybe OR and WA could be examples, but the wildfires there show that they are in the same predicament CA is.

With ~33 million acres of forest in CA, the only practical option I've thought of for reducing large fire risk would be to pre-burn lines through the forest to limit how far on fire can spread to and even that would require a LOT of manpower.

Apologies to OP if this is straying too far from the B zone specific talk.

the US in general does not do a perfect job with forest management, some states better than others.
the best example i know of is a country like Sweden, they literally rake/comb the forest into decent size piles and burn during the wet season. downed trees, logs, large branches, and debris.

calvb1

FNG
They are allowing folks to use B-Zone tags in the A-Zone. I thought you could now swap once the season was open or are they making some sort of exception?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this a question or statement?
I havent seen anything that wold allow tags to be used out of zone.

Pro953

WKR
Sorry punctuation helps. I corrected the question. It was a follow up to a comment by MeatBuck when someone commented about a wasted B-zone tag and he said “take it to the A zone. I was just asking as like you, I had not heard anything about that as well.

Sorry for any confusion I caused.

calvb1

FNG
Sorry punctuation helps. I corrected the question. It was a follow up to a comment by MeatBuck when someone commented about a wasted B-zone tag and he said “take it to the A zone. I was just asking as like you, I had not heard anything about that as well.

Sorry for any confusion I caused.

Noted!

It seemed way to good to be true, you cant do that to me!

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
What did you mean by that statement? Not being confrontational. Just confused...

That’s the answer to your question. Take it or leave it.

My thoughts are if the state is offering for purchase, 65,000 Azone tags and 100,000 archery only tags, that would mean as many or more people can legally hunt Azone as B (35,000)and d3-5 (33,000)combined. There’s more than 90,000 ao tags and 36,000 a tags leftover so what’s the big deal? Potentially 165,000 tags are allotted for Azone so who cares what letter is printed on the tag you bought. The state thinks a zone can handle it so...
+65000
leaves 32000 on the table.
+36,000
127,000+ leftover tags that can technically be used in a zone.
It’s not perfect logic but what about California is?

Last edited:

Tobias

FNG
the US in general does not do a perfect job with forest management, some states better than others.
the best example i know of is a country like Sweden, they literally rake/comb the forest into decent size piles and burn during the wet season. downed trees, logs, large branches, and debris.

What? They do not do this on any significant scale... That would be an ecological disaster. Our current fire seasons are a result of (among other factors) a century of fire suppression, climate change, and in some cases restrictions on conducting controlled burns. Not enough rain at the right time, abnormal summer storms, excessive heat, etc. means our fire seasons basically do not end.

gexpro

WKR
What? They do not do this on any significant scale... That would be an ecological disaster. Our current fire seasons are a result of (among other factors) a century of fire suppression, climate change, and in some cases restrictions on conducting controlled burns. Not enough rain at the right time, abnormal summer storms, excessive heat, etc. means our fire seasons basically do not end.

Do your research, Sweden among a lot of other Scandinavian countries in fact do prescribed burns and manage its forests using this method.

California does jack squat.. literally every time I step foot into the wilderness as soon as you step off of a main trail its a huge tinderbox waiting for a fire.

I agree with the climate change.

I'm not trying to cause a pissing match with you, its what I have seen with my own eyes and my opinion.

Last edited:

Tobias

FNG
Do your research, Sweden among a lot of other Scandinavian countries in fact do prescribed burns and manage its forests using this method.

California does jack squat.. literally every time I step foot into the wilderness as soon as you step off of a main trail its a huge tinderbox waiting for a fire.

I agree with the climate change.

I'm not trying to cause a pissing match with you, its what I have seen with my own eyes and my opinion.

Not too different from what CA does. We do thinnings, burn slash, and set prescribed fires where possible(CA burns as many acres as Sweden annually). Different climates, and we were late to the prescribed fire party (difficult to undo 150 years of fire suppression overnight)

WKR

WKR
Here's the press release

Attachments

• fseprd807294.pdf
    157.4 KB · Views: 32