B Zone Chatter 2020

Warmsy

WKR
I'm hopeful some people on here can help bring me up to speed as I know nothing about this. I've been hearing repeatedly that the severity of the wildfires this year are due to forest mismanagement. Is there an example of another state with good forest management that CA should be looking to replicate? What is it they do that CA is not doing? I thought maybe OR and WA could be examples, but the wildfires there show that they are in the same predicament CA is.

With ~33 million acres of forest in CA, the only practical option I've thought of for reducing large fire risk would be to pre-burn lines through the forest to limit how far on fire can spread to and even that would require a LOT of manpower.

Apologies to OP if this is straying too far from the B zone specific talk.

I saw a bunch of raked piles across hundreds of acres in plumas NF last year. Here in Mendocino county, the logging contractor buys their timber, leaves a huge ******* mess of downed debris... even the animals don't want to walk through that shit, and then don't come back for 20 years. All the brush and twiggy fir/ redwood grow damn near the canopy- it's a terrible practice that begs fir firess that are out of control and difficult to navigate.

Since I've been in California, I've noticed that huge tracts of land- forest, chaparral, and rangeland sit empty and unused. Very little cattle/ livestock. Shitty logging practices. Dry non- native grasses as far as the eye can see. My theory is that the grapes and marijuana bring in the money- why bother with the 240 grassy acres on the north side of the ridge? And don't let anybody trespass, of course not. Fence it all off so you can tell visitors how nice it is back there.

JNDEER

WKR
NF will be open for day use and only in the areas not under closure. Great for many- but still sucks for a lot.

Most areas (southern B zone) will remained in the closed area.

jfs82

WKR
NF will be open for day use and only in the areas not under closure. Great for many- but still sucks for a lot.
If that's the case then I'm much less happy. Hard to make 4.5 hour drives each way for day use for my B zone tag.

JNDEER

WKR
If that's the case then I'm much less happy. Hard to make 4.5 hour drives each way for day use for my B zone tag.

Have to camp on BLM (assuming they did not close yet) or a campground not in the NF and drive in and out daily.

JNDEER

WKR
Where’d u get the day use only info. Or Did I just miss it?

I read it online- it didn't say day use only, but stated that no overnight camping and no fires or cooking flames of any kind. i will have to see if i can find the source.

jfs82

WKR
I read it online- it didn't say day use only, but stated that no overnight camping and no fires or cooking flames of any kind. i will have to see if i can find the source.
I saw the no flame of any sort, that doesnt bother me at all, did last year in the Yuki with all cold food and drink anyhow. Shasta-Trinity says specific areas of the McCloud area are closed to overnight but if it specifies one area I'm assuming you can camp in the rest.

Pro953

WKR
I believe it’s different forest to forest but from what I saw it was no backcountry overnight. In OPEN designated campgrounds overnight but cold camp only.

That said I seems to change daily. If you plan to camp or hunt NF & BLM I would print off info you have as confusion and misinformation abounds so you may get stopped by someone with out of date info. I spoke with someone at BLM the other day and they (incorrectly) stated we could not hunt or shoot until the end of the year so do not expect all of the agency’s and regions to be on the same page. Spare yourself the headache with documentation.

Good luck and be safe.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Anybody getting out to hunt?

I’m getting restless now that a zones over. Thinking about trying someplace new this weekend. Need to line up some backup locations in case this one doesn’t pan out.

jfs82

WKR
Anybody getting out to hunt?

I’m getting restless now that a zones over. Thinking about trying someplace new this weekend. Need to line up some backup locations in case this one doesn’t pan out.
I'm going to play hookie for a day to just scout some as I have no idea what areas burned up completely or not and where I was planning to be I know burned up good. But due to family stuff I likely won't get a 4-5 day in til closing weekend.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
I'm going to play hookie for a day to just scout some as I have no idea what areas burned up completely or not and where I was planning to be I know burned up good. But due to family stuff I likely won't get a 4-5 day in til closing weekend.
You played hooky yet? What’s the report?