BA Q-Core SL versus Exped UL7...

sure mike, you want me to measure to the "useable edge" or all the way to the seam?
i will say, there is no way my arms fit on this pad at my sides and i use it up top to bottom. I'm 6' 185 w/33" waist.

I have the BA q-core but just bought a couple expeds ul 7 to save on weight and I got the pump bag to inflate the pads, I hate blowing up my pads so I think this fact alone is what made me go to the expeds. Now that I have both I can say for sure the BA is more comfortable but I think the benefits its of the exped will make up for it. I'm selling my BA pads but not getting much interest which actually isn't hurting my feelings at all because they really are the most comfortable so I may end up back on one depending on how the exped does in the field. I weighed both of them and they came in just over the 27oz they were supposed to so at least both if mine are right on for weight

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 48
sure mike, you want me to measure to the "useable edge" or all the way to the seam?
i will say, there is no way my arms fit on this pad at my sides and i use it up top to bottom. I'm 6' 185 w/33" waist.

Edge of material to edge of material would be great for both pads! Depending on the dimensions I may be headed towards an Exped or Xtherm which sucks cause I get pro deals on BA lol thanks!

Mike

sk1

WKR
mike i don't have any issues with the q core sl, i just sold my exped long/wide. the exped is great if you want the extra width on a long model, but even then it was hard to keep my arms by my side....they'd eventually slide off so i never slept on my back or if i did i would have my arms across my chest. the q core sl is advertised at 20 inches wide, mine came in at 19 inches wide unless you count the half inch seam on each side, but even with an additional 1 inch, your arms would never fit at your side, nor did they really with the wide exped as i said.

FTF - i have no idea what is going on with the length of that thing, did they send you the right model? im 6'1 and i fit comfortably on mine, ill have to pull it out again soon and check the length

and mike for what it's worth, i agree with slim in that the q core sl "appears" as though it would be more durable than the exped, although that's only speculation of course. i enjoyed being able to use my BA pro deal, in fact I am the reason they got put on there as i contacted them about them not being available and inquired about if/when they would be ;)

mike i don't have any issues with the q core sl, i just sold my exped long/wide. the exped is great if you want the extra width on a long model, but even then it was hard to keep my arms by my side....they'd eventually slide off so i never slept on my back or if i did i would have my arms across my chest. the q core sl is advertised at 20 inches wide, mine came in at 19 inches wide unless you count the half inch seam on each side, but even with an additional 1 inch, your arms would never fit at your side, nor did they really with the wide exped as i said.

FTF - i have no idea what is going on with the length of that thing, did they send you the right model? im 6'1 and i fit comfortably on mine, ill have to pull it out again soon and check the length

and mike for what it's worth, i agree with slim in that the q core sl "appears" as though it would be more durable than the exped, although that's only speculation of course. i enjoyed being able to use my BA pro deal, in fact I am the reason they got put on there as i contacted them about them not being available and inquired about if/when they would be ;)

Good to know Sk1! I just measured my pad that I've been using for the last 3 seasons and it is a Thermarest Expedition model (Weighs 36 oz! And it's only 2" thick and crappy R-value). The padded section comes in dead on 20" wide. Just laid down on it and while my shoulders edge to edge are wider then the pad, my shoulder blades are the main contact points. You're right it would probably take a 23-24" wide pad to get arms by your side, guess I never really though about it. Don't think I'll have an issue with 19" wide on the pads for where my back contacts the pad.

I'll have to give it some more thought... I don't think the mummy cut would be a bad thing after seeing a picture of it earlier in the thread. I don't think I want to go with the extra 5 oz of the regular cut but could live with the 2.5 oz penalty in going with the SL mummy cut over the X-therm and I won't be sleeping on a bag of potato chips! :)Guess I need to sleep on it (pun intended) and see what I want to do.

And good on you for getting BA aboard pro deals! I think you should contact NeoAir and get them on board as well! :)

Mike

Last edited:

sk1

WKR
And good on you for getting BA aboard pro deals! I think you should contact NeoAir and get them on board as well! :)

Mike

maybe i said that wrong, they were already on pro deals, all i meant was i asked them if they would put their new products for this year up on pro deals (as they were not yet listed there)

i wish i had that kinda power though! haha

I thought about the mummy cut but went with the regular, i just wanted to make sure my feet weren't sliding off the pad, didn't want to risk it without trying one first

i will get the meas. tonight.
sk1- i know my arms wouldnt fit totally, but comparing to the standard q core my tricep area kind of fit on the pad, and for the length, i fit but theres no extra length is all.
as for the mummy, i tried it at rei and i might as well have gone with the short. unless i ducttaped my ankles together my feet and lower legs never would have stayed on that

i rolled back and forth between the two and cant tell any difference other than the size, just as comfortable so in the end im still pretty happy with it.

i should also mention the packed size is a fair bit smaller if thats a concern for anyone

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
i rolled back and forth between the two and cant tell any difference other than the size, just as comfortable so in the end im still pretty happy with it.

i should also mention the packed size is a fair bit smaller if thats a concern for anyone

Don't get me wrong. The SL is my favorite pad to date. If only it was the listed weight and width, it would be perfect.

as for the mummy, i tried it at rei and i might as well have gone with the short. unless i ducttaped my ankles together my feet and lower legs never would have stayed on that

How tall are you and what is your weight? If you look at post #57 on page three of this thread there's a picture of the mummy cut and it doesn't look too bad... I just need to suck it up and order the regular pad. All this ounce counting is getting old! :) A good night's sleep to me in the back country is worth a few ounces. I've felt like I've had really solid gear the past few years, and with a new shelter, water filtration, and this pad I'll of dropped 4-5 lbs roughly. (New rifle will be cutting the weight another 3-4 lbs) I'm starting to get into the realm of what I deem "Ultra-Light" and it's easy to get caught up in the oz counting game that's for sure...

Mike

seam to seam inflated on the SL is 19 5/8, edge of inflated baffle is 18, length is 69 1/2
standard q core is 21 v 19 1/2 v 71

[QUOTE

Mike[/QUOTE]

if you can join leoadventures they have pro deals on thermarest/msr/seal line. Its 20$ for a year membership I think. Great discounts on sitka as well

Lawnboi

WKR
Just picked up a qcore sl. Had a hard time deciding between the xlite, qcore sl, and ul7. The comfort of the qcore is what sold me over, I think I will be sleeping much better from now on.