BA Q-Core SL versus Exped UL7...

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
Just picked up a qcore sl. Had a hard time deciding between the xlite, qcore sl, and ul7. The comfort of the qcore is what sold me over, I think I will be sleeping much better from now on.

Yep. It's certainly the biggest factor for me since I would prefer sleeping on my side.

Wrongside

WKR
Mine get lightly inflated and stood/laid in a corner. Especially the insulated/down filled ones.

Lawnboi

WKR
Im storing slightly inflated with the valve open. Im still looking for a good way to store the thing.

My 66" pad also came in a little heavy, and definetly a little on the short side when it comes to the width. Still its comfy and light for what it is. 17.5oz for the pad only.

Upon reading into these pads come to find out that the BA pads seem to be rated as far as rvalue a little under, especially after time when the insulation is allowed to compress.

Have any of you spent some nights on these yet, would you say the rvalue is accurate? Although coming from using a zlite with a 2.1 rvalue I should see a difference.

Either way, I got it from REI. Worst case scenario is if I don't think its up to the task after a shed hunting trip iv got coming up in a week ill take it back for an Xtherm or xlite. Im new to BA, but I know cascade designs will preform, even if it does sound like im sleeping on a bag of chips.

Wrench77

WKR
I thought I would post the specs of my BA Q-Core Sl that I received today. My pad is the long wide version it's supposed to be 25" X 78" and weigh 23 oz. my pad inflated measures 24" x 75" and weighed in at 24.51 oz. without the sack and repair kit. I'm 6' 2" so the 75" actual length is bugging me quite a bit. It's probably going back to REI if i can find a longer pad. For those of you with the Exped UL 7 pads are the lengths inflated actual to the specs?

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
I thought I would post the specs of my BA Q-Core Sl that I received today. My pad is the long wide version it's supposed to be 25" X 78" and weigh 23 oz. my pad inflated measures 24" x 75" and weighed in at 24.51 oz. without the sack and repair kit. I'm 6' 2" so the 75" actual length is bugging me quite a bit. It's probably going back to REI if i can find a longer pad. For those of you with the Exped UL 7 pads are the lengths inflated actual to the specs?

Mine came in 1" short inflated and I would guess that this is the norm. I had a LW but I sold it for this pad.

Bringing this thread back up to the top. My Q-core SL Regular size came in today. I inflated it and it'll fit me perfect. I'm 6'0" 165 lbs (but I'm wiry! ha) and I have a little bit of length to spare but not much on width. I didn't throw a tape measure on it when inflated just wanted to see how I'd sleep. I can tell you that this pad is COMFY! Can't wait to sleep on it...

NOW here's the interesting part... on the scale that I use for shipping orders, the pad only comes in at 18.4 oz... Only .4 oz off the advertised weight. Not sure if they have started doing anything different but I trust my scale and it keeps hitting 1 lb 2.4 oz. With the stuff sack it hits 1 lb 3.3 oz... Either way I'm happy provided it's durable! This pad cut off about 1.25 lbs off over my Thermarest Expedition pad, combined with my SO Draft Dodger quilt at 24 oz and my Borah Gear Bivy I think I'll be sleeping better than ever in the mountains this year...

Mike

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
Bringing this thread back up to the top. My Q-core SL Regular size came in today. I inflated it and it'll fit me perfect. I'm 6'0" 165 lbs (but I'm wiry! ha) and I have a little bit of length to spare but not much on width. I didn't throw a tape measure on it when inflated just wanted to see how I'd sleep. I can tell you that this pad is COMFY! Can't wait to sleep on it...

NOW here's the interesting part... on the scale that I use for shipping orders, the pad only comes in at 18.4 oz... Only .4 oz off the advertised weight. Not sure if they have started doing anything different but I trust my scale and it keeps hitting 1 lb 2.4 oz. With the stuff sack it hits 1 lb 3.3 oz... Either way I'm happy provided it's durable! This pad cut off about 1.25 lbs off over my Thermarest Expedition pad, combined with my SO Draft Dodger quilt at 24 oz and my Borah Gear Bivy I think I'll be sleeping better than ever in the mountains this year...

Mike

Sweet! Glad to hear it.

2ski

WKR
So a question about the insulated air core vs. the q-core...why is everyone going q-core? Its rated the same temp, although the r-value is higher on the q-core. But the q-core is heavier. I picked up last year's insulated air core for about 50 bucks less than I could pick up the q-core on sale from REI. Just wondering if I'll be happy with the decision. For the minute or so I laid on them, it seemed the air core may have been slightly more comfortable, but its not like the q-core was uncomfortable by any stretch. The q-core may have been slightly less inflated as well, but that's me thinking about it here afterwords.

2ski

WKR
ok. nevermind on the weight. I was looking at the specs for the q-core, not the q-coreSL

DWarcher

WKR
ok. nevermind on the weight. I was looking at the specs for the q-core, not the q-coreSL

Still a valid question with the air core coming in lighter by a couple of ounces.

I have two insulated Air Cores and was wondering the same thing...

I just ordered the Exped UL7 LW. the deciding factor was the Pillow Pump option. cant wait to try it all out. another great review Conlan!

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
I just ordered the Exped UL7 LW. the deciding factor was the Pillow Pump option. cant wait to try it all out. another great review Conlan!

It's a great pad. You won't be disappointed as long as you don't forget the seam sealer lines/dots. ;) Thanks for the kind words David.

It's a great pad. You won't be disappointed as long as you don't forget the seam sealer lines/dots. ;) Thanks for the kind words David.

well I got to thinking about this damn Thermarest foam pad and how uncomfortable it is and how heavy and bulky it is and I had a choice to make. Trekking Poles? or sleep pad? trekking poles weren't a necessity so I opted for some good sleep. i'm totally set up to do a back country hunt Conlan! finally!

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
well I got to thinking about this damn Thermarest foam pad and how uncomfortable it is and how heavy and bulky it is and I had a choice to make. Trekking Poles? or sleep pad? trekking poles weren't a necessity so I opted for some good sleep. i'm totally set up to do a back country hunt Conlan! finally!

Time to get er done. :)

Time to get er done. :)

I picked up a very cheap pair of Twist Lock Aluminum Trekking poles late last night. they'll have to do this year. good trial run. i'm so excited about doing a week or 2 of backcountry style that I can't seem to get excited about screamin herd bulls yet lol.

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
I picked up a very cheap pair of Twist Lock Aluminum Trekking poles late last night. they'll have to do this year. good trial run. i'm so excited about doing a week or 2 of backcountry style that I can't seem to get excited about screamin herd bulls yet lol.

Those will be very helpful once you kill something. I would be willing to bet that they get some use this year. ;)