Baby carrier setups

CB4

WKR
Super easy to do with any carrier and a frame. This is an osprey poco and kifaru frame.

Everyone seems to over think this. I can also run it in the load area of my Stryker xl. B3083EB1-23C6-4327-B76A-9F3FB04FAFC9.jpegEFD8CFD0-47BF-4CA1-96BC-1C7660090D48.jpeg

I started doing hour or longer walks around the neighborhood with my daughter in a car seat stroller at three weeks old. That was very relaxing for her. EEBA0B25-78B5-4092-B807-AAD869C4B2C4.jpeg

At the archery range I just carried her in her car seat from target to target.
08AE1FA9-B605-466E-A1F8-7454A378222D.jpeg

I think it was a little over a month old when we started hiking with the chest carrier. I just supported her head with my hand. She was usually asleep within 5-10 minutes and good to go for 60-90 minutes.A71ABA80-AA4D-4935-ACD6-5B4A96DB64A2.jpeg

By three months old we started adding in longer 5-6 mile hikes in the chest carrier.
56AF4513-8D7E-4C4C-A9FA-7B73D5E139B0.jpegAE997F0D-7DE3-4209-AA3E-3AC63C46D55C.jpeg

I accidently figured out the walks in the stroller and all the hiking really helped with her getting good rest. She had colic really bad since day one. If we didn't get out for a good 60-90 minute walk she would scream her head off, and basically be up almost all night. This took me almost a month and a half to figure out, and neither my wife or I got more than an hour or two of sleep each night.

If we did a good long hike after i got of work, she would get a really deep sleep on the hike. She would also fall asleep early in the evening and sleep better that night. Just something to try out if your new baby is having issues sleeping. The drives in the middle of the night didn't really work, so I would be pushing her around the neighborhood in the stroller in the middle of the night to get her to sleep before i figured out the after work hikes resolved her colic issue.

She started going in the poco plus baby carrier a little after she was six months old. After she moved to this pack I pretty much take her every where I want to go. 243A53F2-0FE4-49FB-B525-432D3467E0FE.jpeg
This pack is pretty comfortable for me(she just turned 2 in July). She does fine in the pack as long as I would want to hike. We do tons of 5-7 mile hikes, and plenty up to 10 miles. She’s pretty small and only about 25 pounds.

She’s starting to get to where she wants to hike a little bit here and there also. I think this pack will work just fine as long as I need to haul her around0FE9C57D-81AD-40A9-89C6-35776F43D4FC.jpeg

Long winded post.

Just wanted to show all the ways we have done all the stuff I like doing, and she has loved it since day one so it has worked out great.

And when they get a bit bigger, your regular pack will work with some creative thinking. I have been taking my son pheasant hunting since he was 2 in my KUIU pack. Think of a kid as a front quarter of a deer in your frame pack. We have used pillows or foam pads to make it work for him. He has always had a blast, but with his earmuffs, your ears take a beating from a little curious fart that talks/yells nonstop.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
Happy to help.

For a new dad, a wrap is the best thing ever. It correlates strongly in research with a calmer, happier child who cries significantly less, and you’ll bond more deeply.

This one did the Canadian Rockies to Hawaii to the Canary Islands to Norway in one trip, with no other carrying gear. It’s such a relief to travel without a bulky pack or pram.

Normally you’re going to want to have the kid facing toward you; facing forward should be kept brief. Properly wrapped, an infant or toddler will comfortably sleep through pretty much anything, so you can have a fairly normal life without having to carry too much extra crap for the first year or even two.

It’s also a huge relief to the mom to have the kid safe and happy for up to three or four hours at a stretch while on the move, so you’ll get massive dad points. In my experience, it’s the most comfortable way to carry a infant on big hikes, too; it counterbalances the pack, it’s regulated to body temp, and it’s more secure than any other carry.
I'll add my experience with this type of carrier. My kid was born last May in NC. He was a furnace right off the bat and this type of carrier would not work for any amount of time without both of us getting overheated and mad. But again, we tried this in a southern summer...

That being said, I used a more open chest carrier with great success and would say you can do a lot of travel without much else if you both get comfortable with it.

I was also gited a Poco plus. Not as comfortable as my stone glacier but don't think there's anything else that's better on the market

We’ve had the Osprey Poco and done several hikes with decent elevation changes in Big Bend and Colorado. Most recently carried my toddler and water for the group, so probably close to 40lbs. I thought the pack was pretty comfortable and positioned the weight well. I’m also a pretty large framed guy if that’s a consideration