Baby carrier setups

rhsmith3

FNG
I looked through a few of the older posts about this and was hoping some new stuff has been figured out since then.

Anybody come up with a good combo of a frame and carrier? Or a carrier stand-alone that was good?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’d like to find a carrier I can attach to my kifaru frame. Has anybody successfully elk hunted with a baby? As in, arrived an elk with a kid on their back?

I looked through a few of the older posts about this and was hoping some new stuff has been figured out since then.

Anybody come up with a good combo of a frame and carrier? Or a carrier stand-alone that was good?

Not sure which old posts/threads you found, but I believe I posted pictures of my Deuter Kid Comfort attached to my SG x-curve. If you cannot find them, let me know and I can post them.

How big of a baby are we talking about here?

I find that a stretch-cotton wrap works best until they get to a year old or so, then there are tons of good frame-pack options for back carry. Check the weight; some of the more-complicated ones can get pretty heavy and are not particularly fun to haul.

Avoid the sort of front carry rigs that let legs dangle straight down; if you’re going for that type, you need a wide base that supports the kid’s legs in an “M” position (e.g. ergobaby). I don’t like messing with straps for carrying infants, and have used a simple wrap for everything from winter skiing to tropical and desert conditions.

Not sure which old posts/threads you found, but I believe I posted pictures of my Deuter Kid Comfort attached to my SG x-curve. If you cannot find them, let me know and I can post them.
I've been wanting to find a carrier to attach to my SG frame and I saw a Deuter kid comfort one but it didn't look like it could be removed from its frame. Did you have to cut it off or anything or is it detachable?

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I've had both the osprey Poco and the dueter kid comfort and prefer the Poco. I will do just the Poco while they're small and just strap it onto a kifaru frame when they get bigger.

DanimalW

WKR
I kind of prefer the deuter kid pack over my stone glacier pack. I just really like the venting of the suspended mesh. I carried my 6 YO daughter a mile or so at RMNP this summer in it. She did about 4 miles and pooped out on the way back. I did feel like a 45 lb kid was pushing its limitations though.

Just used the Osprey carrier a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. Hiked several miles in Colorado and it was very comfortable. Also liked how small it collapsed down when not in use.

Julius K

FNG
I have hiked about 500 miles with the osprey carrier and couldn’t be happier.

OP
R

rhsmith3

FNG
Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like I’ll order the osprey.

I would like to see a picture of what you are talking about @scattergun im a brand new Dad so it’s ALL new to me.

I just want to be able take baby everywhere and don’t want it to be a pain.

I've been wanting to find a carrier to attach to my SG frame and I saw a Deuter kid comfort one but it didn't look like it could be removed from its frame. Did you have to cut it off or anything or is it detachable?

Shoulder straps are easily removable. I then cut the bottom ladder lock off and switched it to a 1" one (split bar), then it would attach to the straps on the top of my frame. I then just wrapped the side straps around to hold it tight to the frame (had to switch the buckles on one side to females).

Dtimj1w.jpg

As far as the waistbelt, I just folded it backwards and buckled it to itself so it was out of the way.

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like I’ll order the osprey.

I would like to see a picture of what you are talking about @scattergun im a brand new Dad so it’s ALL new to me.

I just want to be able take baby everywhere and don’t want it to be a pain.
Happy to help.

For a new dad, a wrap is the best thing ever. It correlates strongly in research with a calmer, happier child who cries significantly less, and you’ll bond more deeply.

This one did the Canadian Rockies to Hawaii to the Canary Islands to Norway in one trip, with no other carrying gear. It’s such a relief to travel without a bulky pack or pram.

Normally you’re going to want to have the kid facing toward you; facing forward should be kept brief. Properly wrapped, an infant or toddler will comfortably sleep through pretty much anything, so you can have a fairly normal life without having to carry too much extra crap for the first year or even two.

It’s also a huge relief to the mom to have the kid safe and happy for up to three or four hours at a stretch while on the move, so you’ll get massive dad points. In my experience, it’s the most comfortable way to carry a infant on big hikes, too; it counterbalances the pack, it’s regulated to body temp, and it’s more secure than any other carry.

CB6A2CF1-D96B-4170-942E-F528C419A178.jpeg4D2AEFE0-E756-4EB0-B70D-09EEA585D759.jpeg

Last edited:

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I put an Osprey baby carrier on my wish list as a joke. One of my best friends actually got it for me. So thats what I have, no I havent put it to use yet (baby is still in the oven), but when I do I will let you know.

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Newbie here. Just did some modifications of my own on my SG pack. Never occurred to me to rig a child carrier. Dying laughing but also inspired. Nice work boys

MTtrout

WKR
We were gifted an osprey kid carrier and couldn’t be more happy with it. Our second kid is still riding in it. I really don’t see the need to modify it to a better frame. From mine and friends experience, once the kid is heavy enough to make it uncomfortable to carry they want to be more independent and walk their fair share. At 3 years old my first son hiked half of an 8 mile round trip. When he gets tired he just rides on my shoulders till he’s ready to go again. At 4, he’s still a great hiker and good for some miles but be aware every hike can be situational. Sometimes he doesn’t want to hike the distance we want to so we turn our attention to picking more berries, climbing on rocks and logs, sledding on our butts in the snow… Always make it fun for them and get your young ones comfortable hiking of trail.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
We have a deuter kid carrier we got for free. Our 2 yo is now 34 lbs and it still carries really well. Surprisingly well. Just did a 5 mile, 1000' of gain hike last weekend and he was in it for most of the trip.

No need for rigging it to a SG frame for comfort. But I like that idea for overnights when you need the gear capacity.