Back and forth on new rifle caliber.

The 270, 280, 30-06 or 7 mm RM for all uses with least recoil.

300 Win with 200 gr bullets nearly ideal for all situations.

If I have to roam the world with one gun its gonna be my 375 H&H with a 300 gr SBT.

Use good bullets - make good shots - doesn't much matter after that !!!!

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Weatherby Vanguard 300 Win Mag that shoots fine using ELD-X 200 grain ammo. I mainly hunt elk, deer, and wild hogs, and it's always put game down for me.

I enjoy hunting with my 300 WM, but have to admit that the recoil starts to get noticeable at the range after about 20-30 shots.

I am about to make an order on a custom 7mm RM and plan to use 180 Berger VLD hunting ammo. I will not be giving up any significant difference in ballistics, and I will get a little less recoil...plus I just wanted a new rifle :)

elkguide

WKR
Having watched elk hit the ground with everything from a .243 Win to the big Lazeronis, any caliber will work with the right bullet put in the right place. I have seen elk shot with broadheads fall quicker than many rifle hits. That said, an elk is a tough animal and can absorb a lot of energy from a bullet and still run a long ways even with solid hits.

We are so fortunate to live in such a wonderful and free country where we have so many choices in things as important as which caliber of a rifle to use for a specific animal. I am very guilty of having a "few" different rifles in a few different calibers. In ranges that are 400 yards and closer, with a good bullet most any of your modern calibers will do fine with a well placed shot.

For some reason, I have only had one or two chances at that perfect, standing broadside elk. Thusly when I head into the hills for elk, I almost always grab one of my .300 Win Mags for the slight chance that the elk that I want to shoot won't stop and stand broadside for me. From my personal experience and feelings, the 7 Mag has almost as much recoil as a .300 and for some reason, I've had to track almost every elk that I have shot or seen shot with the 7. So since you mentioned shooting out towards 600 yards and using factory ammunition, my vote goes heavily towards a .300 Win Mag.

JGuest

FNG
I generally don't shoot magnum cartridges and I have thought a lot about how to reply here. You can read a lot of info about killing power and how it works. I've got P.O. Ackley's Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders Vol. 1 that's older than I am and the killing power section of his book is 44 pages and not lacking on the math.

Short version, there's two main factors in how well a rifle performs in the real world. Shot Placement, and bullet performance. You should pick the rifle you can shoot well enough to properly place a shot, while picking a bullet that works from 0 yards to your intended range.

Any 7mm or .30 cal rifle available on the market today can provide both within 600 yards. So now the question is how recoil sensitive are you? There's been a ton of good feedback here when it comes to available cartridges. To me it really comes down to practice a lot, and shoot appropriate bullets.

Last edited:
Its the shot and bullet that count. FWIW I have 2 300WSM and shoot 165 and 180 TSX/TTSX monolithics. Also, out to 600 yds reliably is a stretch for the average hunter/rifle in a hunting situation, I've never shot that far.

gearjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
Although admittedly I haven’t hunted Elk. I love my 7mm-08 I think it’s a great combination of all the attributes you want. Is it a 1000 yard Elk round? No. Is it the lightest kicking? No but very nice. Short action? Yes. Kicks less than many other rounds and beats them ballistically yes. Readily available ammo yes. Ammo is fairly in expensive. With a longer barrel and proper twist you can really reach out with this round. After a lot of research I settled on this round. It’s like the back hoe of the caliber world. There are other tools that do things better but with trade offs. The 7mm-08 does everything pretty damn well.

Although admittedly I haven’t hunted Elk. I love my 7mm-08 I think it’s a great combination of all the attributes you want. Is it a 1000 yard Elk round? No. Is it the lightest kicking? No but very nice. Short action? Yes. Kicks less than many other rounds and beats them ballistically yes. Readily available ammo yes. Ammo is fairly in expensive. With a longer barrel and proper twist you can really reach out with this round. After a lot of research I settled on this round. It’s like the back hoe of the caliber world. There are other tools that do things better but with trade offs. The 7mm-08 does everything pretty damn well.
The 7mm-08 does not get enough love. It is on my short list to pick up even though that it technically does not do anything that I personally do not already have covered.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
7RM and 7-08 here as well.

I've killed quite a few elk with my 7RM, all one shot kills with a Barnes TSX 160gr except my first with a Remington Corlokt. Zero issue with killing them, furthest one went after being hit was about 10 yds (double lung shot). Plenty of power. Recoil is a bit strong with my featherweight (Win M70), but only for range shooting. Otherwise, it's a fantastic rifle that's highly capable.

I have a 7-08 for my son to hunt with. That's also a lightweight rifle (Tikka) and shoots awesome. Uses a lot less powder to reload too. Haven't killed an elk with it yet, but accuracy and range is perfect for any reasonable elk shot. Also using Barnes TSX 160gr in it. Sub-MOA with no real load development.

For an elk/deer/black bear rifle, I'd choose the 7-08. For elk/bigger game, the 7RM. Can't go wrong with either one. Easy to buy factory ammo (during normal times) at Walmart if need be.

gearjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
I built a Ruger American compact in 7mm-08. I’ve found the length of pull perfect once my pack is on and my Bino harness. I put a super light SWFA 2.5-10 on it. I got the upgraded cocking mechanism from Anarchy to improve bolt performance made a huge difference. All in I’m just above 500 bucks. Custom camo paint job. The gun is lights out for cold bore shots and maybe two after. After that the sporter starts to wander if you don’t let it cool. With the scope I’m at like 6.5 lbs and it’s super manuverable in the woods.

gearjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
I am also limited on what I can buy because I am a lefty. If I could buy a Kimber Adirondack in 6.5creed or 7mm-08 I would. I would probably go with the 08 still because I think it does better in shorter barrels.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
A few years back I went through the one rifle to do everything debate. I chose the 7 mag with 160 gr. accubond. I chose the 7 mag over the 280 ackley because factory ammo was available in the 160 accubond. I have shot a couple elk and deer and have had no problem. However, since I made that decision Nosler started loading the 160 accubond in factory ammo with an advertised speed 25 fps faster than there 7 mag. I gave in and purchased a 280 in the new Savage Ultralite recently and it has been a lot of fun to shoot. Would probably lean toward the 280 ackley if I was making the decision again.

I made my decision based on the majority of my hunts being deer with the occasional elk. If the majority of my hunts were elk with the occasional deer, I might have gone 300 wsm.

I will throw my 2 cents in too, I recently looked at this same debate when building a new rifle and settled on the 300 wm. However it was not for the reason that most would think. I already had a 300 wm and had all the reloading supply for it. I was actually planning on going with the 280 AI, but my cheapness won out. After doing the math on switching over to 280 AI for all the reloading stuff, brass, dies, bullets etc., I decided to just stick with what I had and already knew. But if i was starting completely fresh, I would go with the 280 AI or maybe the 6.8 Western, or maybe 6.5 PRC or maybe 7 SAUM. One thing that i have come to the conclusion of over the years of hunting is that shot placement and bullet construction is key in killing animals.

EmperorMA

WKR
Have you looked at the 6.8 western ammo is plentiful in my area and it is low recoil. It is supposed to be very flat and carry a solid punch.
Probably a very good idea during these times.

I think a 165-175gr bullet out of the 6.8 Western will absolutely hammer any animal it hits. Sounds like a PERFECT short and long-range elk cartridge to me!

Rook-

FNG
If you are limiting yourself to factory loadings don't go boutique. Get a rifle and practice with it. (Current ammo situation notwithstanding)
7mm-08 270 30-06 7mm and 300WM are well suited to what you want to do and In normal conditions are more available more places in more loadings for lower average cost that more boutique wssm, Suam, Nosler, Weatherby etc chamberings. Even more there is more 3006 and 7mm out the on the secondary market than there is 7SAUM. Ammo may be a low cost in the overall hunting budget but if your not reloading it's best to stick with something that's going to be easier to locate.

OP
C

chasewright15

Lil-Rokslider
Probably a very good idea during these times.

I think a 165-175gr bullet out of the 6.8 Western will absolutely hammer any animal it hits. Sounds like a PERFECT short and long-range elk cartridge to me!

Yeah, I've definitely looked into it. And also saw 4 boxes of it today on an empty shelf otherwise. I like that the factory loads are relatively heavier compared to a 7mm-08 or something, also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew someone would say 6.8 western 😆

I've killed a few bulls beyond 600 with a 6.5 saum and a 7mm.
The 6.5 was sketchy with a perfect double lung hit, I won't use it for long shots again.
I had a really bad experience last season with a 175 ablr on a bull at 800 yards as well.
I Shot a bull at 700 a few years ago with a 215 Berger, and it was without a doubt a real crusher.
For elk beyond 600 a heavy 30 cal is all I'll use going forward.

For a non handloader I'd shoot 180 bergers in a 7RM, or if you're going to consistently be taking long shots I'd go with a 300 of some variety shooting 215’s

gearjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
The op asked for lower recoil. Once you have a 30 caliber throwing 160+ pills 700 yards plus you are well beyond the range of lower recoil. Especially in anything less than 10 lbs. That is undisputed I don’t care if it’s manageable for you. To most people that is not lower recoil. I stick with the 7mm-08 as the do everything. My next pick is the tried and true .270 but performance to recoil the 7mm-08 wins.