Back Country Dog Care

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Well hopfully he or she dose not run to far from you. But if it's wolfs your worried about. I carry a lite easy to shoot rifle. Get your dog a spiked collar. One with two inch, sharp spikes. Just like the collars on the dogs watching over sheep in wolf country wear..
Google wolf dogs with spiked collars on and look at the pixs.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Brian, I bought my dog Magnum a shock collar. First as a training collar and as wolves came into the equation to keep him close and safe while we are out having fun in the woods. The collar has a beeper and he has learned when I beep it he is too far out and to come back and if not he gets a reminder. He has been wearing it for 6 years now and seldom do I have to give him a reminder to follow directions. Additionally, I put a cow bell on him so I can tell by sound where he is at all times and if I cannot hear the bell he is too far away...enjoy your time afield with your lab!

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Brian:
A good dog is a great packpacking/fishing companion. My lab helps spot rise rings and will retrieve a trout if I let him.

I live in a country with lots of dog ticks and worse yet deer ticks and lymes. Front line for ticks and my dog gets the lyme vaccine. If its tick season, its a good idea to comb your dog well before bringing it into your shelter.

Training with and using an e collar is a good idea. Slow and easy. If wolves in the area, the recall (here) command needs to be rock solid or pup needs to be on a lead/ecollar. Bears and coyotes might be worse. Someone near Yellowstone explained it to me this way a time long ago, if your pup ranges to far and bumps a grizzly or lesser other trouble he'll head right back to safety and that'd be you.

Enjoy your pup.

mtmiller

WKR
Brian:
A good dog is a great packpacking/fishing companion. My lab helps spot rise rings and will retrieve a trout if I let him.

IEnjoy your pup.

I agree with what others have said, in wolf/griz country I used an e-collar (don't need it anymore). I also put him in the tent with me at night.

GuNR is a good backpacking companion, but still needs to work on his fishing skills.

He can point......

...but not so good at catching.

trk3263

WKR
Man I would love to take my lab in the backcountry. The problem here in oregon is you can't "Hunt" with your dog so what do you do with them while your out hunting?

I read a recommendation to buy the glow stick necklaces from the dollar store so you can watch your dog at night easily.

Man I would love to take my lab in the backcountry. The problem here in oregon is you can't "Hunt" with your dog so what do you do with them while your out hunting?

I read a recommendation to buy the glow stick necklaces from the dollar store so you can watch your dog at night easily.
i wish i could bring mine during season as well but he does get to come along most times when im not packing a rifle...

parshal

WKR
Another suggestion to have an ecollar and use it. Be careful, though. My young dog was chasing a coyote and I used the collar to "trash break" her and she yipped pretty loudly. That coyote made a 180 and chased my dog at full speed. I think the sound of an injured canine caused an instinctual response in that coyote.

I mainly hunt birds and my dogs range out pretty far in search. I've hunted in wolf country and it is quite unnerving when I think it about. We had a guy in our dog club (national club) lose two of his three dogs to wolves within 60 yards of him in Wisconsin. Google bear dogs and wolves and see what horrible things happen. Now, bear/lion dogs range miles from the handler so it's tough in wolf country. I don't know if I'd take my dog along with me in serious wolf country unless I were hunting with them. It's just one other thing to worry about.

This past year I bought a Garmin Alpha which is a combo ecollar and GPS. I can "see" where my dogs are at all times as well as how far from me they are. It's created peace of mind for me.