Back-country Elk Hunting Boots Brands

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
I like a stiff boot. I run Zamberlan Guide 960 GTX until it gets really cold, then I swap to La Sportiva Nepal GTX. With merino socks year-round. Use the same setup for backcountry SAR work, and always with gaiters. I like the extra protection from ticks, brush, poison oak, foxtails in the laces, and everything else. :)

All the ones you mentioned can be good. Lowas tend to fit my feet the best. It's really going to come down to what your feet prefer.

Lowa Tibet. Took me quite a few miles to break them in, but once they are, they are super comfortable and feel bomb proof.
OK, HERE is a comparison for the OP … Mulyhuntr likes the Tibets but it took "quite a few miles to break them in" - I am on my third pair of Tibets and have never spent even 5 minutes breaking in any of the 3 pairs -

THAT IS WHAT GUYS MEAN BY "TRY ON AS MANY AS YOU CAN" BECAUSE ...drum roll ... FEET ARE ALL INDIVIDUALLY DIFFERENT IN FIT AND TOLERANCE

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody have experience with salomon boots? Just picked up a pair for super cheap in the bargain cave in cabelas

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

nrh6.7

WKR
Anybody have experience with salomon boots? Just picked up a pair for super cheap in the bargain cave in cabelas

I have a pair of the Quest 4d 3gtx boots and I love them. They are super comfortable out of the box, great ankle support for me, but they aren't going to last as long as some of the others. Also, be prepared for the gore tex to be short lived. Otherwise they are a good boot.

Yes! Solomon's are my tried and true boot. I dont wear them as much as I used to but I always have a pair of them in the truck if I start to get hot spots or need something more comfortable. They are always great. Like NRH6.7 said though, dont expect them to last as long as the others. I now just buy them knowing that.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Scarpa for me. Can wear them right out of the box and it’s not an issue. Followed closely by Crispi. I have a pair of cold weather Mendl from Cabela’s that are actually really nice boots as well.

I would choose the boot that fits best. For me, that was Lowa Tibet. They fit right out of the box.

As a general rule, Italian boots run narrower, German boots are wider, American are somewhere in between.

OP
holzgene

holzgene

FNG
Scarpa for me. Can wear them right out of the box and it’s not an issue. Followed closely by Crispi. I have a pair of cold weather Mendl from Cabela’s that are actually really nice boots as well.
I was looking at the Scarp R-Evolution Trek GTX. Are those the ones you wear?

mwebs

WKR

I have the R-Evolution Gore-Tex, leather, which I would recommend over the Trek GTX, I also have the Kinesis Pro GTX which is a little heavier. Both have been great boots for backpacking and hunting. I wear the Kinesis when its colder out as it is thicker.

ndbuck09

WKR
If you want a boot that will be waterproof for anytime at all, in my experience, you have to go with a majority leather boot. There's a leather called Perwanger Silicone impregnated leather. Its bomb. There's really loud boot companies out there that use pretty dang cheap leather. The Scarpa Grand Dru's use the perwanger leather, as do some of the other italian mountaineering companies like La Sportiva. I'm a big fan of stiff boots. You may think they're not comfortable at first but after you spend all day side hilling and going up and down steep hills, you'll be much less fatigued in the ankles and feet than noodles for boots. Everyone has an opinion lol

MObucks

FNG
I always wore Danners and thought they were a great boot until about a year ago. I bought a pair of Kenetrek mountain extremes at a RMEF dinner and absolutely love them. id have a hard time going back to the Danners now

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider

Yes and for the price you can get last years model right now you can't go wrong. I have 19 full days hiking in them and they have been great. I'm 6' 5" 270lbs so my feet take a beating.

Westy

FNG
Lowa Renegades - purchased from store owners who hunts in CO as well. + 1/2 size for not allowing your toes to smash the inside. Both hunting partners bought Lowa's after seeing my boots in the field. Only lesson learned is keep up on leather maintenance.

Blueridge

FNG
Spend the money on a good pair. Used to hunt Rocky’s in the East here but bought a pair of Zamberlins could not be happier. Even during breakin no blisters -7day elk hunt feet didn’t hurt once. Probably have over 60 miles on them look and feel brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk