Back Country Elk..... snacks during day while hunting.

LostArra

WKR
I transition from sweeter snacks in the morning to fruit to the hard salami, cheese, pretzels, nuts, sandwiches (with spicy dill pickles on the sandwich) just after noon which sometimes leads to a glassing nap.

A Clif Shot Mocha Gel plus a big slug of water around 2:30-3:00pm gets me back on point for the late afternoon prime time. I don't know why the Clif Shot works better than coffee for me but it is also required during long treestand sits during the deer rut.

cnelk

WKR
I just discovered the butthole sandwich, though I make it on a tortilla instead of a bagel.

4 tablespoons of peanut butter
1-2 tablespoons of honey
3-4 slices of bacon
1 large (burrito) tortilla

It’s about 900 calories for 7 ounces including the vacuum sealed packaging.

Ive made these in the past. Just dont expect to do any whistling after you eat it. :)
And the next crap will be 4 days later.

BIRDMAN11

FNG
I just discovered the butthole sandwich, though I make it on a tortilla instead of a bagel.

1-2 tablespoons of honey
3-4 slices of bacon

These sound awesome... how long do they stay fresh in vacuum sealed bags?

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
For mid hunt snacks, the bagel type advice above is good, I also like bars of all different kinds. Listen to some of the podcasts of the thru hikers, they get creative and really dial in what they need to give their body. I usually keep some pop tarts in my kill kit for hard pack outs. Alot of calories and carbs, sealed, wont melt, last forever. There's better out there, but every gas station in the world will have them and they're cheap. They seem to be ok on my stomach too, alot of the other junk makes me sick, idk haha

Look up a recipe for authentic Civil War Hard Tack. It's just flour, water, and salt. Calorie dense and a very small olfactory footprint for wildlife to detect.

CJF

WKR
These sound awesome... how long do they stay fresh in vacuum sealed bags?
I didn't list these on my snacks because they are my breakfast (everything bagels, bacon, PB, honey). I make dozens at a time, vacuum seal, and then freeze. I pack them the day before the hunt frozen and I've eaten them 5 days later with no issue.

TomJoad

WKR
I make my own trail mix which is great for munching during the day. Nuts provide a fair amount of energy.

^^^^^^^^ This.

I really like bringing as much "real food" into the backcountry as possible. With the trail mix a lot of options for creativity. I tend to make 2-3 types with super different flavor profiles so it doesn't get old. I like brining less conventional dried fruits for the sugar content along with high quality roasted nuts and interspersing snacks from Japanese or Korean groceries like H-mart. The key with trail mix is the right mix of salty/sweet/heat and protein/carb/sugar. Some of my favorite ingredients: Candied Ginger, dried apricots, cherries, Cashews, hazelnuts, banana chips, plantain chips, sesame sticks.

Other "real food" I like to bring into the backcountry:
- snacks: tortilla wraps, Justins PB, French style baguette (prosciutto & butter)
- Non-dried food to augment evening meals: garlic cloves, real butter, jalapeños, bacon

As for storage I prefer ziplock to vac-seal. They take up less space (thinner), you use less of them because you can reseal and close them and they are able to be re-purposed for managing snd compressing waste as you move through your hunt.

Per previous posts my snacks don't change in Griz country, just my vigilance with camp clean-up and camp storage.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Whatever you pack, make sure it is something you have eaten before - and like. I had grand plans for a bunch of different snacks, and meals, that are touted on RS. I liked the Heather's Choice packaroons (but they aren't *great* tasting) and the Nature's Bakery Fig Bars. But some of the stuff I brought just sucked, especially after a lot of exertion. Not tasty, too rich, too acidic - whatever. We took a break in town and bought Ramen noodles, and while they aren't good for you, and not a snack, they tasted amazing.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whatever you pack, make sure it is something you have eaten before - and like. I had grand plans for a bunch of different snacks, and meals, that are touted on RS. I liked the Heather's Choice packaroons (but they aren't *great* tasting) and the Nature's Bakery Fig Bars. But some of the stuff I brought just sucked, especially after a lot of exertion. Not tasty, too rich, too acidic - whatever. We took a break in town and bought Ramen noodles, and while they aren't good for you, and not a snack, they tasted amazing.
Solid advice. I've done similar things only to find out my diminished appetite at elevation leaves me packing a lot of food back out. You can plan your mountain diet perfectly on paper but it's useless if you won't actually eat it when there. You're better off with garbage food that you will eat than nutritious food you won't.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
I've went back and forth between making my own trail mix and buying a couple different premixed bags at Walmart. Now that we have a WinCo here, I buy a couple different kinds of trail mix from their bulk dispensers.

I usually carry some assortment of the following:
- Two tortilla shells
- Chicken or tuna packet (I'm not a huge fan - of tuna but they are easy, but could probably - attract a bear from 10 miles after opened)
- Peanut and almond butter packets
- Honey or jelly packets
- Cheese sticks
- Cracker packets (cheese or peanut butter)
- A variety of granola bars
- Trail mix
- Fun size candy bars
- Lipton soup mix (occasionally)
- jerky or meat sticks

I usually try a couple new things every year but always end up back at simple stuff from the grocery. I no longer try protein or energy bars. They are a guaranteed gut plug that I don't need added to the nightly MH meals. Breakfast is typically some sort of breakfast bar or dry cereal. I used to do oatmeal but grow tired if heating water. My cereal preference is a ziplock with granola or grapenuts, dried blueberries (blueberry craisins), and pre-measured powdered milk. Add water and you are ready to go.

4rcgoat

WKR

1-2 tablespoons of honey
3-4 slices of bacon

They are great on english muffins too.

SonnyDay

WKR
I always bring the prosciutto-wrapped cheese roll thingies you can get at Costco (or regular grocery stores). I put stuff in beeswax-soaked cotton wraps/bags to eliminate the crinkle noises of plastic/mylar wrappers. Otherwise, store-bought trail mix with dried cherries or cranberries added.

Phaseolus

WKR
^^^^^^^^ This.

I really like bringing as much "real food" into the backcountry as possible. With the trail mix a lot of options for creativity. I tend to make 2-3 types with super different flavor profiles so it doesn't get old. I like brining less conventional dried fruits for the sugar content along with high quality roasted nuts and interspersing snacks from Japanese or Korean groceries like H-mart. The key with trail mix is the right mix of salty/sweet/heat and protein/carb/sugar. Some of my favorite ingredients: Candied Ginger, dried apricots, cherries, Cashews, hazelnuts, banana chips, plantain chips, sesame sticks.

Other "real food" I like to bring into the backcountry:
- snacks: tortilla wraps, Justins PB, French style baguette (prosciutto & butter)
- Non-dried food to augment evening meals: garlic cloves, real butter, jalapeños, bacon

As for storage I prefer ziplock to vac-seal. They take up less space (thinner), you use less of them because you can reseal and close them and they are able to be re-purposed for managing snd compressing waste as you move through your hunt.

Per previous posts my snacks don't change in Griz country, just my vigilance with camp clean-up and camp storage.
I’m Going to try candied ginger! I have dried apricots from my own tree to add Most years, they froze this year.