Back Country Elk..... snacks during day while hunting.

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
I use flat breads and pack individual jelly packets of various flavors that you can pick up at various restaurants. I take individual peanut butter packets and honey sticks. I spread the peanut butter and jelly or honey on the flat bread and then roll it into a peanut butter and honey / jelly burrito shape. The flat breads pack great.
I also use a self made trail mix and individual packets of gummy fruit snacks.

Man, those honey stingers are great! I just tried them in a sample pack I got and they will be the perfect "desert" pick me up imo.

sacox31s

FNG
If you want to minimize odor, have you looked at LOKSAK OPSAK?
I've used them the last two years.
They sell them on Amazon for about $20.
I can fit 7 days of food in one bag.

Wapiti406

WKR
Green Belly bars, with a single serving pack of Justin's peanut butter. It will hold you over for a while.

TheGDog

WKR
Dunno if been said already, but Honey Stinger Waffles are the bomb! Real quiet to eat too.

Clif Blueberry Crisp, MET-Rx Big 100 Apple Crisp, Twist Top AppleSauces are a bit of a weight luxury but soo nice when it's hot. Roasted Cashews!!! Some kinda Beef Jerky, but beef jerky can make the meat bees come and pester you though. Roasted Salted Almonds are good too. And an Honey Crisp apple is a great snack midday that travels well in a Gallon ZipLoc.

Beanyray

FNG
Man, those honey stingers are great! I just tried them in a sample pack I got and they will be the perfect "desert" pick me up imo.

thanks for mentioning this, I just ordered some honey stingers before my elk trip. I like Clif bars but get tired of the same flavors over and over.

I take sandwich sized ziplock bags and mix trail mix and jerky into it. Another baggie I unwrap my Pro Bars (best bar made IMO) and place 2 inside. Justin’s almond butter packets. Some hard candy or gummies for quick sugar access. I love the honey stingers but find them “brittle/delicate“ to pack so if not eaten with breakfast they get left at camp. To minimize trash and noisy wrappers I unwrap anything I can and place in ziplock bags.

Hunting food issues are all resolved completely with military MRE's. Not only do you get a hot meal on your deer stand, you always get a snack for later (and toilet paper hand wipes etc. included in every meal is a great bonus.) Menu C MRE's are the Holy Grail. Mredepot.com is where I have bought them for decades. Just keep a case or two at home and toss a few in your pack for your hunting trip and all food issues are handled.

Hunting food issues are all resolved completely with military MRE's. Not only do you get a hot meal on your deer stand, you always get a snack for later (and toilet paper hand wipes etc. included in every meal is a great bonus.) Menu C MRE's are the Holy Grail. Mredepot.com is where I have bought them for decades. Just keep a case or two at home and toss a few in your pack for your hunting trip and all food issues are handled.
Only my opinion, but MREs are heavy and they suck. For what one bagged MRE weighs, I can get a lot more/a lot better tasting food in my pack for the same weight. Yeah a MRE is hot.....but a hot turd is still a turd. I have 6 cases of current issue MRE's at home that ive robbed the candy from. That's about all they are good for. Yeah I can eat them if I have to, and have, but it sure wouldn't be my choice on a backcountry pack trip. That pork sausage in cream gravy......my dog wouldn't eat it. Literally, would not eat it. Sniffed it, did a half lick and walked away. This is a dog that will eat plastic bottles.

Brendan

WKR
Probar Meal Bars - Superfood Slam, Superfruit Slam, Smores. Still my favorite bar. Made the mistake of buying them early this year and promptly ate two boxes in about the last week. Even have them hidden in one of my coolers downstairs underneath a bunch of gear so it takes effort to go get them.

Kirkland Signature Nut Bars

Autumn's Gold Grain Free Granola Bars

Honey Stinger Waffles

Justin's Nut Butter Packets

Wilderness Athlete Trail Packs - Mix up a Superman of Energy & Focus and Hydrate & Recover

ChrisAU

WKR
I'm splurging this year and have a full size candy bar in each day's food bag. Btw, my food bags are just zip locs labeled with each full day plus an in and out bag. This accomplishes a few things - 1 it allows me to just grab one bag quickly in the morning to throw in my pack for the day (this is just day food not dinners, but does include coffee and some squincher packets) , 2 I force myself to eat the whole bag, I tend to not eat enough when hunting, and 3 it allows me to vary things day to day ahead of time.

I've went back and forth between making my own trail mix and buying a couple different premixed bags at Walmart. Now that we have a WinCo here, I buy a couple different kinds of trail mix from their bulk dispensers.

I usually carry some assortment of the following:
- Two tortilla shells
- Chicken or tuna packet (I'm not a huge fan - of tuna but they are easy, but could probably - attract a bear from 10 miles after opened)
- Peanut and almond butter packets
- Honey or jelly packets
- Cheese sticks
- Cracker packets (cheese or peanut butter)
- A variety of granola bars
- Trail mix
- Fun size candy bars
- Lipton soup mix (occasionally)
- jerky or meat sticks

I usually try a couple new things every year but always end up back at simple stuff from the grocery. I no longer try protein or energy bars. They are a guaranteed gut plug that I don't need added to the nightly MH meals. Breakfast is typically some sort of breakfast bar or dry cereal. I used to do oatmeal but grow tired if heating water. My cereal preference is a ziplock with granola or grapenuts, dried blueberries (blueberry craisins), and pre-measured powdered milk. Add water and you are ready to go.
OMG totally doing this woth the premeasured milk powder!

grfox92

WKR
The presence of Grizzly bears should not change your food in any way shape or form. A grizzly can smell your food through sealed containers. They have a better nose than a drug dog.

That being said. Granola bars of your choice. Good quality bars made of nuts and seeds, and maybe oats. I'd stay away from highly processed wheat as it doesn't last long as an energy source and can cause drops in blood sugar making you tired.

If I don't eat oat meal for breakfast I just start hunting and snack on bars until lunch time and or dinner.

Edit: I just saw this thread is a bumped up 3 years old relic. Typical FNG stuff.....

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk