Back Country Elk..... snacks during day while hunting.

On a back country Elk Hunt( in Grizzly territory).....

What do you Take for middaysnacks/food? I was thinking pre-package individual trail mix, prepackaged Cliff bars. Any other suggestions?

I need things that are sealed or things I can seal because of Grizz.

I obviously have MH meals for breakfast/dinner.

Thx

Honey Stinger waffle and Jif to go peanut butter cup, or skip the peanut butter if you are worried that it will attract bears (IMO in a zip lock in your pack, your scent would keep the bears away more than the slight smell of peanut butter attracting them as you are hunting, but take care of the trash back at camp). Salt & Vinegar almonds. Hershey Nuggets for quick sugar. Good jerky or snack sticks. Fiber One bars (need to keep things moving). And yes to the trail mix.

I do a cliff bar for breakfast that I eat either on the trail or when I get to my distention before first light. I just picked up the ones with the shot of espresso in them. I like coffee, but do not want to take the time in the morning to boil water.

Wrench

WKR
refillable tubes of peanut butter, jerky and quest bars have done me well. I ALWAYS have a isobutane stove with coffee, oatmeal and likely mountain house chow.

I think they can smell through any sealed packaging, FWIW. You need to eat, just eat. I don't vary my type of food based on grizz no grizz. I have considered eating my big meal mid day instead of in the dark before bed, though. And I don't like walking up to my food tree in the dark in the morning.

I just discovered the butthole sandwich, though I make it on a tortilla instead of a bagel.

4 tablespoons of peanut butter
1-2 tablespoons of honey
3-4 slices of bacon
1 large (burrito) tortilla

It’s about 900 calories for 7 ounces including the vacuum sealed packaging.

Sealing in Mylar instead of plastic vacuum bags and then cleaning the outside with something like dish soap and vinegar might help with scent, but you can never eliminate it.

If scent could be eliminated narcos would have already figured out how to beat the dogs.

Jerky. Cashews or almonds. Chocolate. I don’t give any thought to what I eat mid day. If I do things with bears in mind it’s in camp not while I’m hunting.

MThuntr

WKR
I just discovered the butthole sandwich, though I make it on a tortilla instead of a bagel.

4 tablespoons of peanut butter
1-2 tablespoons of honey
3-4 slices of bacon
1 large (burrito) tortilla

It’s about 900 calories for 7 ounces including the vacuum sealed packaging.
Same here...bagels can be a bit dry although if you're only doing a day or 2 a fresh Jalapeno Cheddar bagel is awesome with about half the amount of PB

TX_Diver

WKR
I try to eat a big breakfast and then snack throughout the day. The costco pre-cooked bacon is great for hunts to heat up, cook two eggs, and throw on a piece of bread for a quick/full breakfast.

In my pack I typically have costco trail mix, 1-2 granola bars, and some jerky or peanut butter filled pretzels, etc. along with a sandwich for lunch (bread/meat/cheese and maybe a condiment). I am typically hunting from a truck/base camp though so I only have to pack 1 days worth at a time and don't pack dinner which helps. If I were backpacking in for multiple days I'd need to re-evaluate a bit I think.

Scrappy

WKR
I think they can smell through any sealed packaging, FWIW. You need to eat, just eat. I don't vary my type of food based on grizz no grizz. I have considered eating my big meal mid day instead of in the dark before bed, though. And I don't like walking up to my food tree in the dark in the morning.
If you just keep your food in your tent you will always know if a bear gets into it and won't have to worry about walking up to it in the dark, just saying 😉 😀 😊 😜

Belvita crackers w/ some peanut butter
Cliff bars
Venison jerky
Snickers fun sized

bsnedeker

WKR
Grandma's cookies! I also really like a fruity snack like fig newton-type stuff during the middle of the day. Meat sticks also. My main fuel are things like probars and perfect peanut butter bars and cliff bars but I like those other snacks mid day as a pick-me-up.

CJF

WKR
Lara Bar/Rx Bar
Justin's Honey Peanut Butter packets
Custom Trail mix (deluxe mixed nuts + dried apples + yogurt covered raisens)
Dark Chocolate squares individually wrapped....the dark choco doesn't melt as easily.
Jerky (homeade)

Phaseolus

WKR
I make my own trail mix which is great for munching during the day. Nuts provide a fair amount of energy.

Trail mix, deer jerky, peanut butter/bacon wraps in tortillas. Cliff bars, energy gel packs like gu or cliff. A mix of flavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk