Back Country Fly Fishing

I have always wondered myself what others are packing. I have always wanted to find the elusive high mountain lake in Colorado that has golden trout! I won’t be hunting this year so looks like this will be the next best thing.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
For those looking for an ultralight tube... pick up a fluorescent light bulb cover from Lowe’s Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vanish

WKR
I stopped using a tube 7 years ago. I now just carry my 4 piece rods in their sock. I do 8-10 backpacking trips a year and have been in 5 states and have yet to break a rod in the sock.

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
It was, 20 years guiding in Bristol bay, never had a day like Sunday. These fish were all caught on black streamers and black or Olive boogers. I always have those in my kit.
Those are some beautiful fish right there. Thanks for sharing.

Our setup is a 4 WT 4 or 5 price out of the tube for weight savings, a box of Dave's hoppers, yellow and red humpies, stimulators, yellow Sallies , assorted elk hair Caddis and most importantly, a bottle of floatant.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

cgreene

FNG
I love to pack light whenever I go out fly fishing. Other than my rod and my waders, I always make sure that I bring lucky fishing hat. For some reason I always get the best fish when I bring my favorite fishing hat. If anyone is looking to get their own fishing hat, you should browse this site.

Last edited:

DEd

FNG
My hike in fly fishing gear gets simpler and simpler every-season.
  • One well stocked fly-box, is all you need. If you have dries, nymphs, and a few small streamers, you'll find a back country fish that will eat something in at least one of those categories.
  • If you nail-knot on good butt material to your fly-line, you should only need two or three spools of tippet to re-build leaders
  • some of the hemostats that are now on the market also cut-line as well as nippers, so turning two tools into one is usually a smart decision if it is in your budget.
  • If fishing a fairly large stream is on the agenda you may want to bring some "bobbers" a.k.a., indicators. That being said, the Loop brand biostrike is really versatile stuff, and if you loose a few globs of it in the backcounty, that's ok, it is biodegradable.
That's just a list of the things I think about when I am on a KISS trip. Regarding rods and reels, best answer is to use what you have, and/or use what you can afford. I fly fish a lot, so I have upgraded to some mid-price and relatively expensive gear. But I started with bargain brand stuff, and it got me out there and I had a good time. All that being said, I hike into canyons, and bushwack through pretty thick brush to get after fish, and I just hike my rod in using the sock only, no tube. But, I now almost exclusively fish fiberglass rods; I wont' go on about why I like the glass rods, but for the sake of brevity and relevancy to your post, glass rods are tough, they are much harder to break than carbon/graphite rods. They aren't indestructible, just tougher than most of the other rod materials.

ohoopee

WKR
I hike back about 5 miles 10 times a year into the Smokies. Been doing it for about
5 years.
1) I always take one fly rod tube with two rods tucked inside. I reverse the rod pieces into
the sock so they fit.
2). Zimmerbuilt sling or pack filled with lunch, Cuben pouch and emergency kit.
3) I will use ultra light vest or neck lanyard with small pouch depending on time
of year.
4) One or two fly boxes. Usually two one with nymphs and one with dry's.
5) I always have a staff. Usually a Simms UL.
6) Patagonia UL waders and Simms UL boots. Wear same boots hiking up.

Sometimes I leave the Zimmberbuilt and use a vest and Patagonia waist pack
or Fishpond waist pack. Both are waterproof. The Patagonia is lighter but
better back support with the Fishpond. I usually take the fly tube with
my nymph rod and small dry fly rod for each foray from base camp. I like
to Euronymph one way and dry fly back. My pack weight is usually 34 to 38lbs
depending on the time of year. I have to take 2 or 3 lbs of extra clothing each trip
because it seems its always raining and I always take an unexpected dip.

This is my set up for entering a creek having limited access in and out.
longer trips will have me isolated for very long stretches. Only had to make
one good bye video for my kids on one trip where I couldn't find egress on
a cold and wet excursion.

FYI, Patagonia has new UL waders being released this year. Very ugly but interesting
design.

Last edited: