Back country hatchets and axes

I am a fan of sharp, pokey and choppy things and have a stable of hatchets and axes. Not a collector but I have more than I need. A couple of ace hardware fiberglass handled axes, fiskars, gerber, a soft hatchet, and a couple of gransfor bruk.

I am a big fan of fiskars products and have nearly replaced all my home wood splitting with their mauls and splitting axes. The 36 inch splitting axe is my main tool for firewood At the house.

for the back country I also favor fiskars and their Gerber versions. My favorite packable is the gerber combo 14 inch hatchet with the saw in the hilt. For truck camping and more serious back country adventures that require lots of wood felling I like the fiskars axe. Their 24 inch axe is good but I am getting a 28 inch version.

so what are your favorite choppers?

gphil

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the cold steel trail hawk for packing , the long handle makes a big difference and its nice to be able to take the head off of the handle

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Not a collector either but have a dozen or so. Another Fiskars fan here for axes and maul, Estwing leather handle hatchet.
I've tried a few Snow & Neally hatchets but always go back to the Estwing..

OP
Desk Jockey
I have an estwing leather handle hatchet as well. Must be older cuz I remember my dad having it when I was younger. Love that thing. I beat the hell out of it.
Do you know how much that Estwing weighs?

my Gerber is 26 or 28 oz with the saw and sheath. Throw in a sharpener and I feel like I have a lot of cutting power for under 2#

I picked up a smaller stihl woodsman axe over the summer. It's somewhere around 24. Can really do it all. Do small hatchet chores but still fell trees. I'm in love.

Naiche

FNG
I have a hults bruk boys axe that is good for general camping and just got a cold steel trail hawk to add to the pack for when I hopefully get a hot tent.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
I got into axes and hatchets a few years back and have a stable of them. Plumb, HultsBruks, Gransfors Bruks, Collins, Husquvarna, and then your cheap plastic handle Gerbers and Fiskars. I don't like the plastic handles much anymore. I used to appreciate them for their durability but now they just feel cheap, hollow and vibrate too much. Good wood for me.

Grantors Brux small forest axe if I choose to carry one. Smaller stuff gets handled by my knife.

Another vote for Granfors Bruk Small Forest Axe, always on my pack for backcountry adventures.

That being said, I'm looking at replacing it with a Soviet Trappers Axe -- look them up on Ebay.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like hatchets and axes, but when I have a lot of wood processing to do in the backcountry- I use a larger knife and a small saw- the knife is roughly half the weight of a hatchet/small axe AND it is a knife :)

aRMoqcW.jpg

CLMK9W4.jpg

Mosby

WKR
I have several axes. For backcountry stuff, I prefer something with around a 20 inch handle. The Les Stroud axe is one of my favorites.

1611515127385.png

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
Gruns fork Hunters axe (long handled hatchet?)
Paired with a silky folding saw.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I never “pack” an axe, I will Batton wood with a knife though. When I’m on my boat or sometimes rafting, I’ll bring a gransfors small forest axe (just a Hudson bay axe really) or a medium sized estwing rubber handle axe. Both work well.