Back country hunt/ horse pack in

I’m looking for opinions from those who have done pack horse hunts, experienced riders or wranglers & outfitters.
My wife and I are doing a guided elk hunt north west of Dubois. The outfitter mentioned he has an experienced team and all should be fine. I don’t doubt that, but, would we be well served to take riding lessons before the hunt or would it be wasted money?
The outfitter told me they walk the team at various points of the trail for safety.

PNWGATOR

WKR
If you’re gonna be around them and on them, I’d highly recommend developing a degree of horsemanship, especially related to safety.

All instructors/trainers are not equal in their ability, perspectives, insight and knowledge or in their ability to communicate and teach. Some are just flat weird and flaky!

Do your due diligence.

Wapiti1

WKR
Take a couple of lessons. Horses have no manual brakes, so having a little understanding of handling them is good. The stock outfitters use is generally very good. If they have mules, even better. But just like us, a horse can have a bad day. Knowing how to take control is important.

Now, how to train for sitting in a saddle for a couple of hours, that is the question. Prepare to be sore in ways you never dreamed of.

Jeremy

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, I pack in on horseback just about every years with buddies. I'm NOT a horse guy...they are a PITA.

I've been on mules on some of the toughest trails in NA...and felt safer than in my truck on the freeway. I've also been on auction horses that were a total nightmare on the trail.

Of course you want to ride as much as you can prior...but the main thing I spending time around them on trails, etc....knowing how to spot a problem....and how to maneuver out of it you only get from experience.

And many times it not from your horse....its from a pack animal that gets hung up...or something out of your direct control. Heck, I was walking a buddies horse across a bouldered section of stream since I couldn't reign him across. [a pussycat in the corral but the problem was he hadn't done any trails]

I was giving him plenty of space and a lot of lead....but he just bolted right over me instead of taking the easy path and slammed me into those boulders as he was freaking out. I still have a lump on my back 2 years later.

When they get that look in their eyes...watch out.

Now a outfitter will have horses that are on those trails regularly....and that's what you want.

nantzh

FNG
Take lessons.
Went on a horseback guided on in ID a couple years ago. Get comfortable with horses before you go so you don't have to while your paying to hunt. I did not do this and wish I would have.

wysongdog

WKR
Get as much saddle time as you can before you go. Get your a$$ and knees ready for riding. Learn how to saddle, bridle your own mount. Be prepared for a horse hunt takes a little bit going in knowing your business goes miles with your guide.

Hawkeye5964

Lil-Rokslider
Did a guided horse back hunt in the Bob Marshall area many years ago and had no real experience with horses. My hope was that I paid good money to a professional outfit and they would provide a quality experience. I was truly amazed at how well horses handled many dangerous trails and burn areas. At the end of the trip I had a new appreciation for what horses can do. I can’t really say if I had taken riding lesson the trip would have been better, but I guess it can’t hurt. Good luck and happy trails

OP
Buckshot85
The cost of a few riding lessons is negligible compared to cost of the hunt, I guess. I appreciate all the help. Thank You

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
I took lessons before a Wyoming guided pack hunt last fall. It was helpful, but insufficient. Being on the east coast, all I could find was English riding lessons. The two challenges I was not prepared for were extensive trotting (learn to sit the trot) and steep terrain. Dude string horses are ridden every day and learn to ignore the goof (me) on their back. Be prepared for horses to descend at speed. Also, get fit as you'll be leading the horse on descents. My quads were shot. Prep as much as you can, and trust the horse. They're amazing.

sneaky

"DADDY"
For those who have never ridden horses, they have horses that have never been ridden lol. Saw that on a sign once

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lowndes

FNG
I asked the outfitter I'm going with this next fall and he thought it would largely be a waste of money as they can quickly train you how to be proficient in the horses for the task at hand. He did say if you have access to horses then spending time on them from a "fitness" or getting use to being on horses could be beneficial.

I outfitted in Montana for 12 years. All back country horseback hunts. I’ve seen it all. I can certainly tell you a few things.

First and foremost trust your horse and NEVER panic. A horse senses things. If you come unglued theres more of a chance your horse will. Just remember we do pretty well on two feet. If one slips we’re only left with one. If a horse slips he’s left with three. So relax.

Also... horses don’t commit suicide. So if you’re side hilling looking down thinking this could be the end... remember that your horse doesn’t want to go over the side anymore than you do. And he’s been up and down that trail before so chances are you’ll live to tell about it since the last 20 guys did.

I’m n a lighter note your horse will also realize you are a greenhorn. He will test you by taking a bite of everything he walks past. If you let him he will smile and know he owns you. To pass this test every time he tries to dip his head give him a quick jerk on the reigns. When you do he’ll pull his head back ip and tilt his head sideways just enough to see you with peripheral vision. Make sure you’re staring him straight in the eyes and talk to him in a stern voice. I usually say “That’s right smart ass I’m watching you!” You’ll have to repeat that process 3-5 times before he decides you’re the boss and sticks to his job. If you fail the test both sides of the yrail become an all you can eat buffet. The thing that sucks about that you will fall behind which means trotting every 10 minutes to play catch up and that makes for a long bumpy ride.

cnelk brought up a really good point. Don’t be afraid to tell your packer if your stirrups need adjusted. You should be able to get your weight off of the saddle but you don’t want more than 3 inches or so between your butt and the saddle.

Now a bit on how to ride which will make or break you. Don’t “deadass” your horse. That means do NOT sit on the saddle. There’s no denying it if you did because when you get where you’re going you’ll be walking funny and your backside will be sore for 2 days. But you’re not standing either. That’ll make it tough to balance. You’re looking for a happy medium. Keep pressure on your feet. Just enough to where your butt is still touching the saddle but there’s no weight on it. If your stirrups are too long obviously you won’t be able to lift up at all. But too short means your knees will be bent too much to do that. Honestly I prefer mine so that when I stand straight I can just slip my hand between me and the saddle. So an inch of clearance at the most.

The other thing about deadassing is that you’re causing friction between the saddle and your horse. A saddle shifts left and right with every step. If you have weight on it your guide might come up to you on day 3 and say your horse is developing a saddlesore so we’ll be on foot from here on out.

I could go on and on. I’ve had people who ride come and be terrible in the mountains because all of their riding was on flat ground. It’s different. Going uphill you lean forward with your knees bent and going down your legs will be straight out and you lean back.

The only benefit I see in taking lessons would be so that your calm on a horse because it’snot so new to you. But when you hit the teail in the dark brother it’ll be new anyway.

If you have any questions feel free to fire away here or on a OM. Horses are a lot of work for guides and packers but you won’t have to worry about that. Just just enjoy the ride and have faith and pretty soon you might think that dogs are man’s second best friend. Every horse gas it’s own personality. Get to know yours and make a friend!

Brooks

WKR
Like said most dude horses have been there done that.....I pack guys in every year some guys can ride some can’t . Go ahead and take some lessons if nothing else it should get you used to sitting on a horse and get the feel for them. Wear some Wrangler or Levi pants not a pair of light weight pants.....makes a big difference. Learn how to post so if your horse trots you can ride easier and stay on better. I couldn’t imagine hunting elk without horses.....I love it !,