Back country hunt/ horse pack in

DaveDeli

FNG
Definitely take lessons, you will be more relaxed, in better condition and at least able to have some control stopping and starting. Having humped all my gear up the mountain, I really appreciate horses now that I’ve ridden back. One way of showing that appreciation is becoming a better rider. Makes life easier on you and the horse!B393C48B-632A-4B45-A3A3-B779767340D8.jpeg

Aviator

WKR
Indian Summer lends some good advice! a lot of what he said I had to learn the hard way! I have a question for him seems like riding horses in the mountains always hurts my knees! What can I do to alleviate this?

Marble

WKR
I outfitted in Montana for 12 years. All back country horseback hunts. I’ve seen it all. I can certainly tell you a few things.

First and foremost trust your horse and NEVER panic. A horse senses things. If you come unglued theres more of a chance your horse will. Just remember we do pretty well on two feet. If one slips we’re only left with one. If a horse slips he’s left with three. So relax.

Also... horses don’t commit suicide. So if you’re side hilling looking down thinking this could be the end... remember that your horse doesn’t want to go over the side anymore than you do. And he’s been up and down that trail before so chances are you’ll live to tell about it since the last 20 guys did.

I’m n a lighter note your horse will also realize you are a greenhorn. He will test you by taking a bite of everything he walks past. If you let him he will smile and know he owns you. To pass this test every time he tries to dip his head give him a quick jerk on the reigns. When you do he’ll pull his head back ip and tilt his head sideways just enough to see you with peripheral vision. Make sure you’re staring him straight in the eyes and talk to him in a stern voice. I usually say “That’s right smart ass I’m watching you!” You’ll have to repeat that process 3-5 times before he decides you’re the boss and sticks to his job. If you fail the test both sides of the yrail become an all you can eat buffet. The thing that sucks about that you will fall behind which means trotting every 10 minutes to play catch up and that makes for a long bumpy ride.

cnelk brought up a really good point. Don’t be afraid to tell your packer if your stirrups need adjusted. You should be able to get your weight off of the saddle but you don’t want more than 3 inches or so between your butt and the saddle.

Now a bit on how to ride which will make or break you. Don’t “deadass” your horse. That means do NOT sit on the saddle. There’s no denying it if you did because when you get where you’re going you’ll be walking funny and your backside will be sore for 2 days. But you’re not standing either. That’ll make it tough to balance. You’re looking for a happy medium. Keep pressure on your feet. Just enough to where your butt is still touching the saddle but there’s no weight on it. If your stirrups are too long obviously you won’t be able to lift up at all. But too short means your knees will be bent too much to do that. Honestly I prefer mine so that when I stand straight I can just slip my hand between me and the saddle. So an inch of clearance at the most.

The other thing about deadassing is that you’re causing friction between the saddle and your horse. A saddle shifts left and right with every step. If you have weight on it your guide might come up to you on day 3 and say your horse is developing a saddlesore so we’ll be on foot from here on out.

I could go on and on. I’ve had people who ride come and be terrible in the mountains because all of their riding was on flat ground. It’s different. Going uphill you lean forward with your knees bent and going down your legs will be straight out and you lean back.

The only benefit I see in taking lessons would be so that your calm on a horse because it’snot so new to you. But when you hit the teail in the dark brother it’ll be new anyway.

If you have any questions feel free to fire away here or on a OM. Horses are a lot of work for guides and packers but you won’t have to worry about that. Just just enjoy the ride and have faith and pretty soon you might think that dogs are man’s second best friend. Every horse gas it’s own personality. Get to know yours and make a friend!
This advice above is spot on. Ive got 20 years of pack in hunting trips on horses. We do it all it all on our own and I have taught many people hit to load, saddle, bridle, pick feet e.t.c. its not that hard. You just need the knowledge.

Indian Summer lends some good advice! a lot of what he said I had to learn the hard way! I have a question for him seems like riding horses in the mountains always hurts my knees! What can I do to alleviate this?
That’s a stirrup issue. Like I mentioned you definitely need to to take the time to get them set to the right height. I’ve seen many times where an excited hunter says yep that’s fine without really making sure. Most don’t know what fine is.

f your ass is sire when you get where you’re going they were too long. If your inees are killing you they were too short. In both cases a rider usually just sits in the saddle and his butt and the horse pays the price

If they are too short and you try to ride properly by putting weight on your feet when your knees are bent your knees take the abuse.

You should be able to stand straight legged and just be able to slip your hand under your crotch. If your horse trots or runs your butt me ght touch the saddle but that’s what k because there’s no weight on it and you don’t slam on the sadde.

it’s a fine line but the right stirrup height will solves all of your problems.

Sometimes one set of holes is to short and the next set is too long. Not usually but if that happens it sucks. If it’ one of my saddles I take a punch and add a set of holes between those two. If you’re on an outfitted hunt speak up! Tell your packer it’s as much about his horse as it is you.

Beendare

WKR
A hunter can always walk a couple horses with packsaddles in....we've done that many times.

My buddies that are horse guys laugh at that...."I ain't walking when I can ride" but its a pretty good way to get a camp in and an elk out.

________

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Plus taking horse lessons helps the groin loosened up a bit. Guys don't normally have a practice of having their legs spread that far apart sitting at a desk or riding in a vehicle or whatever else any other elk hunters do.