Back country hunting rifle

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to either put together a custom lightweight hunting rifle or buy one like a Christensen arms ridgeline. I am leaning to using 280 AI for the cartridge. any experience with the CA ridgeline or titanium ridgeline? I have priced out a few parts here and there and seems like it will cost similar money to get either done. is there and advantage to building one myself (rather having a gunsmith put together the parts i buy) then just going with a pre made like CA? I can see one advantage to buying my own parts would be getting a shorter barrel, I saw the CA ridgeline in 280 ai is a 26" barrel and 1:9 twist. I will be using a suppressor when hunting so would like to drop down to 22" and 1:8 twist.

axeforce6

WKR
The Ridgeline FFT is offered in a 280AI and its a 22" barrel. It'll come in right at 5.5lbs for the rifle. If I were you, that's what I'd buy. I have a few ridgelines and they all shoot very well

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
The Ridgeline FFT is offered in a 280AI and its a 22" barrel. It'll come in right at 5.5lbs for the rifle. If I were you, that's what I'd buy. I have a few ridgelines and they all shoot very well
What does the FFT part? I was looking at the rodgeline fft titanium to cut some weight at the action too. I’m unsure what the fft stands for though

axeforce6

WKR
Its basically a new lighter stock. They come with a shorter barrel to save weight as well. They do not come with a radial brake, but now with a side port brake.

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
Its basically a new lighter stock. They come with a shorter barrel to save weight as well. They do not come with a radial brake, but now with a side port brake.
Is the barrel a set twist rate or can you customize that between a few options?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can get a shorter barrel and more efficient cartridge building your own.

Identify the animal and distance you want to shoot. From there, pick your bullet, then the terminal velocity you want.

From there you can pick among the cartridges and barrel length. A 7 saum or the new 7PRC would beat a short barrel 280 AI.

For a backcountry rifle I would pick a short action, like the AnTI from defiance. You can pick up a Rem 700 clone, a shouldered prefit barrel, trigger, stick, and assemble yourself or give to a smith.

I am looking to either put together a custom lightweight hunting rifle or buy one like a Christensen arms ridgeline. I am leaning to using 280 AI for the cartridge. any experience with the CA ridgeline or titanium ridgeline? I have priced out a few parts here and there and seems like it will cost similar money to get either done. is there and advantage to building one myself (rather having a gunsmith put together the parts i buy) then just going with a pre made like CA? I can see one advantage to buying my own parts would be getting a shorter barrel, I saw the CA ridgeline in 280 ai is a 26" barrel and 1:9 twist. I will be using a suppressor when hunting so would like to drop down to 22" and 1:8 twist.
I like your approach to this it's always good to consider multiple options.
Personally for the cost of a Ridgeline I'd build my own rifle.
I run a 5lb 10oz semi custom tikka with a 16" SS barrel chambered in 6.5 saum, it has an ultralight MPI stock which is how I got the weight down.
If you're wanting to go super light I'd get an anTi action, and go with an 18-20" light contoured steel barrel.
I'd also recommend a saum or wsm over the 280ai in a short barrel.
McGowen will make prefits for Tikka or defiance actions, and you can have a factory contour flared at the end for 5/8×24 threads.
Here's my ultralight tikka
20220119_114152.jpg
And my 18" 7-300wsm with three in the magazine
20220630_085033.jpg

Don't overlook Seekins Precision. Semi-Custom rifles and the standard havak ph2 comes in at 6.5 lbs and the Havak Element is quite a bit lighter. Decent price point for the PH2 at $1900 or so. Mine is under 8.5 lbs scoped.(w/o bipod)

Attachments

• ph2.jpg
    ph2.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 55

VAHunter01

Lil-Rokslider
For me, I can’t away from Kimbers. I do like a tad more weight out front for longer range scenarios, so I rebarrelled one of my 8400s to 7 SAUM with Lilja’s Mod8400 contour, which doesn’t taper down quite as much past the stock.

iF4Bg3P.jpg

For eastern hunting I prefer my 84 in 6.5x47 with a factory 84M contour. Confident to 600 yards with this setup, which is about 100 yards farther than my furthest shot opportunity I’ve seen so far.

QaT1bED.jpg

I had a CA in 280ai. While it shot well, it came in over weight and the machining looked like a monkey put it together, not only that, the stocks ergonomics suck for long range shooting.

For around the same price, you can buy a Tikka and a prefit barrel that’s built to your specs that, IMO, ends up being a better gun so long as you’re not running a magnum length cartridge.

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
I like your approach to this it's always good to consider multiple options.
Personally for the cost of a Ridgeline I'd build my own rifle.
I run a 5lb 10oz semi custom tikka with a 16" SS barrel chambered in 6.5 saum, it has an ultralight MPI stock which is how I got the weight down.
If you're wanting to go super light I'd get an anTi action, and go with an 18-20" light contoured steel barrel.
I'd also recommend a saum or wsm over the 280ai in a short barrel.
McGowen will make prefits for Tikka or defiance actions, and you can have a factory contour flared at the end for 5/8×24 threads.
Here's my ultralight tikka
View attachment 424641
And my 18" 7-300wsm with three in the magazine
View attachment 424642
When building your own, is it pretty easy to assemble (assuming I have access to the right tools) or is it something that should really be left to a good gunsmith. I should note I am a farmer and we do a lot of our own maint so I have a good bit of mechanical knowledge.

When building your own, is it pretty easy to assemble (assuming I have access to the right tools) or is it something that should really be left to a good gunsmith. I should note I am a farmer and we do a lot of our own maint so I have a good bit of mechanical knowledge.
It's very easy
Get a Brownells barrel vice and some rosin powder, you'll sprinkle the rosin on paper and wrap it around the barrel where the bushing contacts it.
A model 700 action wrench will work on 700 clones and Tikka actions

OP
S

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
It's very easy
Get a Brownells barrel vice and some rosin powder, you'll sprinkle the rosin on paper and wrap it around the barrel where the bushing contacts it.
A model 700 action wrench will work on 700 clones and Tikka actions
What kind of accuracy do you get out of custom builds, obviously will vary on what parts used but what have you seen?

I personally wouldn’t buy another CA. I had two MPR’s and both had issues out of the box. One had an out of spec chamber and the other just wouldn’t shoot. The one with the chamber issue had to go back twice because the replacement barrel with a good chamber also would do better than 1.5MOA. Once both got fixed they were good for around 3/4moa with match ammo or reloads but the rifles were still just so so and would string like crazy after 5 shots. Even so after 3 shots but you could keep 5 sub 3/4 but a 10 shot would open up to 2” or more. I’ve had plenty of Proof CF barrels to know it’s an execution issue and not a design issue.

Personally I’d go with a Seekins Havak PH2 or Element or a Q Fix. They don’t come in 280AI but the Seekins comes in quite a few flavors and the Fix comes in 6.5 Creed or 308 which is more than sufficient for everything but brown bears and would still work for that in a pinch. Proof makes aftermarket CF barrel for the fix and IMO a 20” 6.5 with a can is about perfect for an all around rifle, light AF, and the folding stock is amazing for packing, fitting in a smaller case, or just cleaning.

What does the FFT part? I was looking at the rodgeline fft titanium to cut some weight at the action too. I’m unsure what the fft stands for though
Flash forged technology...has to do with how the stock is made/materials, etc.

The main goals were to:

1. Lighten the rifle weight through the FFT stock, and using carbon for the bolt knob and magazine cover plate

2. Provide short barrels out of the box for use with suppressors

Last edited:

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
If I don't want to build myself and wanted a carbon barrel....what would be your top suggestions for a 280AI from a "semi custom" provider?

I really like the Weatherby's, but they don't offer 280AI with a carbon barrel

If I don't want to build myself and wanted a carbon barrel....what would be your top suggestions for a 280AI from a "semi custom" provider?

I really like the Weatherby's, but they don't offer 280AI with a carbon barrel
I have a christensen ridgeline FFT in 280AI. Just got back from alaska where it took 2 good bull moose (my buddy grabbed my rifle to shoot his because it was easier to get to). I love the gun so far. I have owned half a dozen christensens and my buddies probably own another half dozen. All have been shooters (.25-.75 moa).

The gun just seems crazy light, even with a 3-18 tenmile scope on it.

gabenzeke

WKR
What kind of accuracy do you get out of custom builds, obviously will vary on what parts used but what have you seen?
Another route is doing a remage prefit. Check out northland shooters supply. I haven't personally gone this route, but people get some pretty incredible results doing this. And it seems like it's a no brainer to assemble.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk