Back Country Meals

Finch

WKR
@Jauwater I've always wondered this. Do the post offices get annoyed when ppl ship items to them to be stored for eventual pickup?

Decker9

WKR
If I’m packing freeze dried for extended trips, I zip lock half or more of my meals, and rinse and reuse the bags. Does save quite a bit of space. The pro packs from mountain house are pretty compact, but the full meals have a lot of extra bulk.

once I’m done with a freeze dried bag, it turns into a garbage bag for non burnable items, then goes into my dogs pack. My dog loves packing out garbage

Jauwater

WKR
Cool very good information, so do you hut on this 5 week Hike ?
No, not usually.

I have attempted it with a recurve, and seemed like I was failing at both hiking, and hunting, and ditched the trip altogether.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

Jauwater

WKR
@Jauwater I've always wondered this. Do the post offices get annoyed when ppl ship items to them to be stored for eventual pickup?
Ya know, I've never had any problems with USPS employees, but I feel like the post offices closest to the trail are pretty well used to it by now. But alot of packages turn up missing. Some people get off the trail, and never pick up their packages. Some people pick up other people's packages just by having simple information like other thru hikers names. All this type of stuff creates headaches for those postal workers, and I'm sure it becomes largely annoying during times the bubbles of hikers and hauling through.

Finch

WKR
Ya know, I've never had any problems with USPS employees, but I feel like the post offices closest to the trail are pretty well used to it by now. But alot of packages turn up missing. Some people get off the trail, and never pick up their packages. Some people pick up other people's packages just by having simple information like other thru hikers names. All this type of stuff creates headaches for those postal workers, and I'm sure it becomes largely annoying during times the bubbles of hikers and hauling through.

Gotcha. Ever been to Mcafee's Knob in the Roanoke, VA area? Pretty close to me and supposedly the most photographed spot on the AT.

Jauwater

WKR
Gotcha. Ever been to Mcafee's Knob in the Roanoke, VA area? Pretty close to me and supposedly the most photographed spot on the AT.
I think it was 2016, I started on the AT in, I believe Marion(?), Maryland. I was heading south. When I was heading Into that area of Mcafee Knob a huge storm rolled through that lasted for the better part of a week. I somehow got side tracked onto another trail, and missed the AT section of Mcafee Knob. I was tempted to turn around just to Summit the mou tain, but I knew the rain was there to stay, so I stayed the course. I think I made it all the way through the Shenandoahs before the fog left. I've been meaning to get back up that way.