Back Country Places you want to Experience

Diesel

WKR
The Mountain Man thread got me thinking about all the places I have been and places yet to go. I always wanted to cross the "Bob Marshal" and "River of no Return" hunting or even just backpacking. Another is British Columbia. And New Zealand".

So many adventures out there that life is way too short.

What are some of your destinations yet to be done?

Fatcamp

WKR
I like where your head is at, but #1 on my list already has too much attention.

New Zealand would be fun before I'm too old.

Rafting above the Arctic Circle. Wouldn't need to hunt anything.

Lots of wild places in Arizona need my attention.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I want to do a solo deer hunt on Kodiak, would love to do a real backcountry New Zealand hunt/adventure (actually was putting that together for 2020 before Covid struck!) I would love to hunt coastal black bears from a sea kayak and have a close call with Killer Whales! I want to draw an elk tag in a high quality trophy unit! I already try and most of my hunts as much of an adventure as I can, but its getting harder and harder to seek solitude in the lower 48 :-(

manitou1

WKR
Argentina, Chile, New Zealand and Australia would be nice.
I still have lots of exploring to do in WY and Montana... too much to list.
I have humped the mountains of Korea, Japan, the big island of Hawaii and Oahu, and Jungles of the Phillipines. Lucky (or unlucky) enough to have been to thirteen countries and all but two of the U.S. states... and including Guam, many by compliments of "Unc Sam".

CorbLand

WKR
Like others, I am not going to list the not so well known places.

I want to go to the Badlands someday. I have always wanted to see that area.

I want to hike the Grand Canyon.

Fatcamp

WKR
Like others, I am not going to list the not so well known places.

I want to go to the Badlands someday. I have always wanted to see that area.

I want to hike the Grand Canyon.

If you plan on making it to SD to see the Badlands message me and we can help with that.

I would love to go back to Alaska and the Yukon. I think you could spend your whole life exploring places up there.

I love South America and the fact that there are still some truly wild places down there (eastern slopes of the Andes from Colombia to Bolivia) that are like what North America was back in the 1830s, unexplored areas with no dirt roads, no reliable maps, indian tribes that have very little or no contact with the outside world, and the occasional roving group of desperados to try and avoid. I know that does not sound like a great place to take the family on vacation but the feeling of being in truly wild country several days in a canoe or on foot from the nearest town is an incredible feeling. Most of the guides in river towns like Leticia speak several indian languages as well as Spanish/Portuguese and trade with the more remote tribes, bringing machetes and pots to trade in exchange for bows, spears, blowguns, and illegal items like jaguar skins. Kind of like I imagine lots of the mountain men did who felt as home in a Cheyenne village as they did on the streets of St. Louis.

As far as the lower 48, I love some of the canyon country in Utah, far enough away from Moab to get away from the crowds, and lose your self in some canyon in the San Rafael Swell or the Blue Mountains. I also love the Wind Rivers, the Rubys, and some of the places down in the Animas mountains in the boot heel of New Mexico.

I hope to explore the Frank Church country some day.

feanor

WKR
Torres del Paine looks unearthly, I’ll backpack it sometime in the future, would love to spend a month

It’s an amazing place. Much like the previous post on eastern slope Andes, its filled with incredible landscapes and vast spaces. Makes you feel small.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
a buddy and I are in the very early stages of starting to lay plans for a backpack trip to Patagonia

I've been across the Bob Marshall a couple of dozens of times and there is STILL country that I haven't been in

Glacier Park still has some areas that I haven't investigated; once you get away from the roads- it's not overrun

Titan_Bow

WKR
The family and I are headed back to Glacier this summer. We drove up there 2 summers ago, and swung through Yellowstone on the way up. Glacier is amazing. This trip, we are planning to spend more time in the out-of-the-way places on the northwestern side of the park, and I want to do some more fishing while up there. We did a boat tour on Saint Marys lake, and the water was like glass. I took a photo with my old iphone in black and white, and we had it printed and framed when we got back, everyone that sees it in our house thinks its an Ansel Adams pic. Point being, the place is so beautiful up there, a dummy like me can snap a pic of it and its worthy of framing LOL

Phaseolus

WKR
My Wife and I were supposed to spend the winter in South America this winter...maybe next year.

Ranger619

WKR
I want to do a rim to rim to rim hike at the Grand Canyon or hike the Super Hiking Trail. The Superior trail is possible since it is close, but will take 2-3 weeks to complete. The Grand Canyon hike will have to wait until travel is a little easier.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I want to do a rim to rim to rim hike at the Grand Canyon or hike the Super Hiking Trail. The Superior trail is possible since it is close, but will take 2-3 weeks to complete. The Grand Canyon hike will have to wait until travel is a little easier.
I backpacked the Grand Canyon several years ago. It was really neat and something I'd like to do again, but a longer trip this time.

Razz

FNG
Nestled between the Tetons & the Big Holes
Did the Rim to Rim twice, feel free to pm me if you want info.

Been to Glacier, absolutely awesome. Same for interior Yellowstone. Do some work for an horse packing outfitter into and around Grand Teton. Have canoed up in Algonquin a few times and rafted River of No Return last Sept. All are spectacular and different.

Next up is interior Alaska!

CoHiCntry

WKR
We're currently section backpacking the CT (Colorado Trail). After that's complete I'd love to do the CDT (Continental Divide Trail). Might have to wait awhile though due to the time commitment.