Back Country Places you want to Experience

Carr5vols

WKR
Hike the Haute Road then do mont Blanc to Matterhorn.
Drive route 1 in iceland.
Hike the length of the outer banks.
Drive TAT trail with my boys.
Float the Tenn-tom river slow moving very diverse area.
Then spend a entire summer in patagonia.
Ladakh mountains but would probably never happen.

There are others but already been mentioned.

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t really hunted outside of New England so my list is pretty long. Highest on the list is Arizona, northern Idaho, Alaska and Montana. I’m starting to work on that list next season starting with Arizona. Hopefully November of 2022 I can scratch of Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want to do a rim to rim to rim hike at the Grand Canyon or hike the Super Hiking Trail. The Superior trail is possible since it is close, but will take 2-3 weeks to complete. The Grand Canyon hike will have to wait until travel is a little easier.

I did a R2R2R about 8 years ago; did it with a bunch of crazy bastards and we did it in a day (a very, very long day)- I think it still stands as the toughest thing I've done. It was gorgeous though, would like to go back again and this time lengthen it to 3-4 days :)

I don't know if it's considered backcountry since there's an established trail, but the Golden Staircase (Chilkoot Trail) has been on the top of my list for a very long time. Ever since I was a little kid watching White Fang with my dad, I always knew I wanted to get up there. Wish I did it before kids, but I was using all my vacation to hunt and fish back then. Now it may be a while before I get around to it with two very little ones. That's the only place I can see myself hiking without the intent of killing something.

wyosam

WKR
First rule of backcountry places, don’t spew about them on the internet. People suck at that rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidsapp

Lil-Rokslider
I hiked the Chilkoot Trail in 2003 or so, very interesting, like walking through a museum at times. Especially so when getting to the Canadian border and seeing all the canvas boat kits that the Mounties wouldn’t let cross the border as they were deemed unsafe. The train ride back after completing the trail is gorgeous. I’ve done harder trails, but the Chilkoot is in the top 10 as far as interesting experience.

Kilimanjaro is great when done on the trekking route vs the “Coca Cola” route. Getting to the top and being high enough to see the curvature of the earth as the sun rises is a cool thing.

Marble

WKR
I want to hike the continental divide trail and the pacific crest trail.

I think after retiring I will do or the other in the following year.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

archp625

WKR
My wife and I are planning a trip with our 3 year old son to the Great Smoky Mountains at the end of April. After that I have a trip planned with my brother the Northern Idaho. Both of these will be first for me.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I always wanted to hike the Appalachian trail and try to make decent time on it. Not talking about speed records or anything but actually making some progress on it.

DanimalW

WKR
I’d like to backpack Isle Royale. It’s not a bucket list item, but I live close enough that’s I’m ashamed that I haven’t done it yet.

Opah

WKR
Two that I would love to Do are:
1st:
traverse the Pacific crest trail from start to finish
in a combination of Hiking, horse back, ATV, motorcycle and 4X4. Have a group of close friends and be able to hunt along the way.
2nd:
The Colorado River raft longest one they have, with camps set up, steak and beer at each overnight with Family..
OK one More 3:
To set and watch the northern lights aurora borealis alone in the silence and dark.

SWOHTR

WKR
I don’t understand the point of saying something along the lines of “I know a really pretty place to look at but won’t tell anyone.” Just go back to your hermit shack already.

That said, I want to see all of the US’ national parks. Other places too, but that’s a worthy starting list.