Back Country Tent Camping Vs. Hammocks

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Working at 1 Shot Gear I have had questions come up almost everyday about which one people should run for a backcountry hunt. I have run both tents and hammocks in the past, and have my reasons for each. I run a Stone Glacier Skyscraper 2P Tent right now and love it for all my hunts. I gave up the hammock hunting about two years ago just because I like it better if weather goes bad to have room to move around and being able to cook from inside the tent. I would like to know if you are a hammock or tent hunter and why?

Last edited:

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
I absolutely love the idea of a hammock. I tried one and could not get comfortable. I use a 2P tent and am much happier.

If someone is able to get comfortable in a hammock, I think it would be a nice, lightweight option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gave up tents for a hammock and couldn't see going back. The comfort and ability to hang pretty much anywhere there's trees are biggest benefits for me. Only time hammock isn't much better than a tent is extended periods of really bad weather but i can cook from my hammock with no issues just no room to get up and move around much with the tarp in storm mode. Hammock in porch mode or, as Shug says, half back or quarterback mode is hard to beat.

stump06

WKR
Question for you guys that use hammocks. What do you do with your packs? Hang them on one of the trees? I worry about mice chewing through them if its left on the ground

OP
1shotgear

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just ordered a new hammock to try this year and am going to us the new Sitka Gear Flash Shelter with it during bow season here in Colorado just because I have to give it another chance. I was going to wait to see what you guys said but I couldn't wait. LOL

ChrisS

WKR
Question for you guys that use hammocks. What do you do with your packs? Hang them on one of the trees? I worry about mice chewing through them if its left on the ground
I've hung it on trees, as well as off the hammock suspension, and just on the ground in/on a contractor bag under the hammock. I've never had mice get into my pack, but I'm sure that's a function of where, when, and how long.

Jetro94

FNG

Hang them with a rain fly.

Jetro94

FNG
I just ordered a new hammock to try this year and am going to us the new Sitka Gear Flash Shelter with it during bow season here in Colorado just because I have to give it another chance. I was going to wait to see what you guys said but I couldn't wait. LOL

Look at

More coverage at 29oz

I love using my hammock set up, but also use my Megatarp or Sawtooth / stove as well. (guess I am a shelter junky) I will add my helinox cot to the sawtooth to significantly help with comfort, but that is 2.5 extra pounds. My hammock set up is a DreamHammock 11'. It has bug netting and storm shield. That set up with tarp and underquilt is about the same weight as my megatarp with peg and poles and eped pad. So I choose either depending on if I have the trees or not to camp in.

loblolly7

FNG
I started hunting out of a hammock, but I'm considering moving to a tent. I got cold in a hammock and I figure a tent is more versatile, so I think I'd rather spend the money on a good light weight 2p tent than spend the money on an underquilt, tarp, better straps, etc. with a hammock.

rewild

FNG
I spent a summer sleeping in a hammock and it was the most miserable sleeping I've ever done. I'm a fidgety sleeper and roll around a lot, so I would get diagonal and end up with my head down in the grass and my feet up in the air, or would try to sleep on my stomach... you can't sleep on your stomach in a hammock unless you have a really flexible spine. I even rolled out of it onto the ground one night. I think it depends a lot on what kind of sleeper you are. This was 30 years ago, so hammocks may have improved since then, but I would suggest trying to borrow one and sleeping in it a few nights before purchasing. With lighter and lighter weight tents these days, you can get a tent that doesn't weigh much more than a hammock and sprawl out on the ground.

Mosby

WKR
I have a dream hammock and it is extremely comfortable in nice weather. I am going on a scouting trip on Monday and I am taking my hammock. Low temps are in the 40's so it should be perfect.

I don't use my hammock for hunting when temps get below freezing. I tried it but I prefer a tent and my sleeping bag when temps drop and it gets cold.

cmush

Lil-Rokslider
I have a dream hammock and it is extremely comfortable in nice weather. I am going on a scouting trip on Monday and I am taking my hammock. Low temps are in the 40's so it should be perfect.

I don't use my hammock for hunting when temps get below freezing. I tried it but I prefer a tent and my sleeping bag when temps drop and it gets cold.
I do the same thing. Using the hammock in the summer is great, but when it gets cold I like having the tent. Even just putting your sleeping pad under you in the hammock can get you enough insulation to stay warmer on cooler nights.

Silver

FNG
I’ve used both, although for hunting I find myself grabbing the tent more than the hammock lately. Where we’ve gone the last few years trees that are large enough to hang a hammock from have been scarce at times and I’ve not yet gotten the hang of setting my Hennessey up as a bivy yet.

I agree with the above re. Using a sleeping mat to stay warmer. I’m running a Thermarest Neo air, and in the hammock I just inflate it less than I usually would and sleep like a warm baby all night.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I use the super light weight outdoor vitals hammock set up on early season hunts, especially here in CA where I hunt and I know weather wont be an issue. I love it and I dont have a problem sleeping comfortably in it. I could throw my DST tarp over it if I wanted to for rain protection, but Id rather just use my tipi at that point.

Switched to hammocking 5 or 6 years ago and don't see going back to a tent unless I'm camping above treeline. In my opinion as long as you have a decent hammock, know how to properly set it up, and have the right accessories (just like a tent) you will be fine. There is a learning curve to hammocks for sure. I survived (but froze my arse off) the -10*F snow dump last CO 1st rifle in a hammock. I was only prepared for temps around 15-20* with my newly homemade quilt, so I could have been better prepared but that weather is also not typical. Those temps ran most of the tent campers off the mountain; no one was ready for that.

Most hunting trips I am hiking well into the dark hours and finding flat ground clear of trees/rocks in the terrain I hunt while in the dark is near impossible. With a hammock I only need trees and I can set up anywhere I choose. Never worry about flat ground/sliding around in a tent, don't worry about moisture seeping through the bottom, critters aren't a concern (never were but it is for some), no condensation, and no more water puddling in my tent after severe conditions. Hammocks also make a nice chair to relax in and with the right tarp have more room that almost any double-walled tent that doesn't weight 7+lbs.

My tips for a good hammock experience:
- have a good underquilt **most important item on this list** - you will never believe how cold the airflow below you can actually be until you've experienced it. Inflatable pads don't cut it; I even used a car windshield sunscreen for years because inflatable pads just do not work in a hammock.
- set up your hammock right - get the angles right
- lay diagonally - so you lay flat, no one is gonna sleep well in a banana shape
- have a good tarp/rainfly - the more coverage the better especially when that sideways snow/rain starts coming
- if your hammock setup is drastically lighter than your tent setup - you are either not properly prepared or your tent is too heavy. My hammocking setup (hammock, tarp, quilt) is slightly heavier (~8oz) than my UL tent setup (tent, pad, bag).
- as said above, hammocks are not for belly-sleepers. Back-sleepers should be in hog heaven in a hammock, I am a side sleeper but move a lot and a hammock still works well. Never once have I dumped it.

I've done the super cheap route to hammocking (eno, tyvek, and a sunscreen) for years (CO 2nd/3rd rifle) and have gotten by. Went the expensive route last year because of the benefits. I won't be going back to a tent.

Last edited: