Back country water storage.

cmeier117

WKR
What do you guys use for storing water? I was looking at getting the MSR Dromedary or Dromlight bags in 6 or 10L.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I use the drom light bags. Only fill them up once I get camp setup though. Best way I have found to carry large volumes of water back to camp atleast.

I use the Platy Water tank. I believe mine is the 6 liter (have to pull it out to check). Weighs 4 oz when empty

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I use the drom light bags. Only fill them up once I get camp setup though. Best way I have found to carry large volumes of water back to camp atleast.

Are the drom light durable enough. I kinda assume the dromadery bags are overkill with the heavier cordura outer.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yeah, they are plenty strong. I really like 'em. they got a brass ring on the opposite end of the bladder than the mouth so you can tie some paracord through that and hang it in a tree and fill off of it as needed. Pretty handy really.

I use a 10L Dromedary bag from MSR. Its a nice piece and you'll never have to worry about your water leaking with that sucker!

Attachments

• IMG_2103.jpg
    IMG_2103.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2286.jpg
    IMG_2286.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2281.jpg
    IMG_2281.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2314.jpg
    IMG_2314.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 3

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
I use the 4 liter platypus plus my 3 liter bladder to pack water in any way you look at it, it is heavy going in but the container is light weight and collapsible which allows me to carry it all the time and fill it up at every opportunity which is not much.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I wish the dromlite's came in 10L. I am wanting to get one to split with my dad and would rather have 10L. Might just just get the heavier duty one.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Cmeier,

Just something to think about, you can have two 6L Dromlites for the just one oz more than one 10L regular one. Also 10L of water is over 2.5 gallons or nearly 20 lbs in one spot. I think you'd be better served if you and your dad each had your own 6L water storage is water was a real concern. Both from a bladder weight/volume stand point and also being able to split up the water weight between you guys in two separate packs.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Luke- You are correct and we may do that. I am not going to be lugging 10 L or 6L for that matter from the truck in. I just want to be able to keep water at camp and have a 2-3 day supply so I can fill my 3L bladder and not be going to the crick every day or two. But you are right Two 6's sounds like a good idea.

AZCoues

FNG
I use rinsed out milk jugs. They're cheap, if they get a hole, I really don't care and they smash down for the pack out. You can also burn them in a pinch to get some good plastic fumes in the wilderness. (No, just pack them out)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Evan I have a Platy water bladder to drink out for while I am packin (camel back style) but for just straight water storage I have found the MSR stuff superior. Can't go wrong IMO with the MSR bladders.

JG358

WKR
I use a 10 liter Drom Bag. I might pick up a 6 liter drom lite this year to cut a few more ounces.

I personally use a Katadyn Base camp filter bag. I do not pack a filter pump or any other means of water filtering. The bag has a high flow gravity system and will hold several gallons of water. I have found that in Rain shower down pours on the hike in the bag doubles as a great place to stash electronics that you want to keep dry in your pack. You can also use it as a shower bag, simply hang it out in the sun let it warm the water, hang high enough in a tree and take a quick low flow shower! I love this Filter bag and have not found a pitfall of it yet, it rolls up fairly compact as well.... Check it out you wont be sorry!!
http://www.katadyn.com/caen/katadyn...ackcountry-series-products/katadyn-base-camp/

Lawnboi

WKR
Ill add my 2 cents about the drom and drom light bags. I have a 6L drom, and a 2L drom light. And a hose kit. Id highly reccomend these bags over any bladder.

Most versatile bladder out there, and the toughest. Iv had a platy water tank, platy bladders, camelbak, source. I popped holes in them all on a trip where water was scarce, luckily i had a 2L MSR drom light, the codura didnt give in to the sharp environment i was in. I would not reccoment the platy water tank, imo thats just an accident waiting to happen.

The Lite bags are very durable, more so then any of the other brand, but the normal drom bags feel bombproof!!! I see these bladders lasting me a long time, and imo i got the perfect sizes.

The 2L works good w/ the hose kit for a bladder for your pack, its easy to dry, and wont fail you, Now iv got the 6L, I can fill it up with 3L, go all day long, and at the end of the day i can load it up with 6L. Eat dinner, use it as a pillow or heater by adding boiling water, drink, make breakfast, and still not have to worry about getting water all day. Can also use it as a shower. The bag has many uses.

I think the 6L will come with me everywhere, along with the hose kit. Where water is scarce ill probably take both. Keep the 6L full in camp, and keep the 2L in the pack.

JSonn

FNG
sounds like a sweet set up- been looking to upgrade and I think I will check MSR out

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Ill add my 2 cents about the drom and drom light bags. I have a 6L drom, and a 2L drom light. And a hose kit. Id highly reccomend these bags over any bladder.

Most versatile bladder out there, and the toughest. Iv had a platy water tank, platy bladders, camelbak, source. I popped holes in them all on a trip where water was scarce, luckily i had a 2L MSR drom light, the codura didnt give in to the sharp environment i was in. I would not reccoment the platy water tank, imo thats just an accident waiting to happen.

The Lite bags are very durable, more so then any of the other brand, but the normal drom bags feel bombproof!!! I see these bladders lasting me a long time, and imo i got the perfect sizes.

The 2L works good w/ the hose kit for a bladder for your pack, its easy to dry, and wont fail you, Now iv got the 6L, I can fill it up with 3L, go all day long, and at the end of the day i can load it up with 6L. Eat dinner, use it as a pillow or heater by adding boiling water, drink, make breakfast, and still not have to worry about getting water all day. Can also use it as a shower. The bag has many uses.

I think the 6L will come with me everywhere, along with the hose kit. Where water is scarce ill probably take both. Keep the 6L full in camp, and keep the 2L in the pack.

That sounds like a slick set-up. You think the 2L and hose kit is better than the newer Platy wide opening bladder?