Back pack Food weight/cals for 12 yr old????

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Being less then 30 days away from taking my 12 yr old son (13 in a month) on his first 10 day stone sheep hunt. I have my food dialed down to between 2800-3500cals that average 1.75lbs/day, this works for me but the question I have is have any taken their kids out for this long and what has worked for them. I have his food at 2500-3000 cals and average 1.5 lbs/day, Too much?? too little? I've taken him on many 2-3 day hunts before and this has worked but curious over the long 10 days and if anyone has first hand experience ?? Seems like lately the kid doesn't stop eating! lol

So age, height and weight as well as physical activity ( we know on a sheep hunt your gonna be burning it) would determine calories. I would think I would want my kid to bring some luxury foods, things he likes ( I have a 13 year old too) but he would have to understand that extra weight is his to carry. I would think you are good given your previous experience on the 2-3 day trips. Either way, good luck and you will be making some awesome memories for the both of you

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Don't forget, depends if he is in the middle of a growth spurt as well... My 12yr old boy in the last 3 months has sprung up over an inch a month.... And I wouldn't even want to guess what his caloric intake is at the moment. Skinny as a rail, but last night he ate 6 or 7 ribs, and 4 baked potatoes and 2 bowls of salad..... That has been pretty constant for the last couple of months. (And this is a kid that has historically eaten less than my 10yr old skinny daughter....)

Pretty sure my heart would explode of I ate that much for a couple days in a row.