Back packs for 5-7 day hunts, mystery ranch metcalf vs Marshall

So I’m trying to get a gear list together for my first backcountry hunt, Im unsure which pack would fit my needs between the metcalf and the Marshall ide hate to leave things behind or take to much just because I can fit it in the bigger bag, this would be for 5-7 days btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome.

Both great packs. The marshal is a beast. Most people would only need a pack that big for +3-4 days. The Metcalf is probably the most versatile pack MR has and sized for 3-5 days for most people.

IMO the difference between 3 days and 4 or more is mainly consumables. I might bring a bit more extra gear and clothing for a trip that long but after I pack all the shelter, sleeping and cooking gear for 2-3 days, staying longer is food, fuel and some misc other stuff. With that in mind, some prefer to buy a smaller pack and then add extra capacity via the meat shelf or by strapping stuff to the outside that is consumed during the trip. By the end, you have used up enough food, etc. that everything fits in the pack.

With that in mind, I would ask yourself what types of trips you will do in the future. If you will do mostly 1-3 night trips, the Metcalf is fine and can work for longer trips. If you are going to make a habit of 4, 5, 6 or more day trips then a marshal is the way to go.

For my part, I had a marshal sized pack and I was just not filling it on my shortish excursions. I used a Metcalf (now a beartooth which is the same rough size) and it works fine for my needs plus I can load it up for the rare long trip.

OP
T
I apologize I absolutely should have specified, this is a rifle hunt but I’ll probably always try to take longer trips, living in West Virginia and driving 30 hours to hunt I want to maximize my trips

Bighorner

WKR
My metcalf would be stuffed to the point of not being able to close the snow collar. 7 days of food takes alot of room.

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
It all depends on your loadout. I've personally made several 5 day hunts with my Metcalf with plenty of room. I did have to utilize the overload shelf packing out once.

ewade07

WKR
The Metcalf will definitely fit your needs. A few years ago I was lucky to find a GL frame with Pintler and Marshall bag for a great price. Used the Marshall that year hunting and quickly found out that it was WAY too much bag. Since then I have been using the Pintler for all my needs from early archery to late season elk. I am able to fit 3-4 days worth of gear into the Pintler. I just traded away my Marshall for a Metcalf and plan on using that now. Go with the Metcalf. If shit gets a little western you can always utilize the load shelf too.

ThinkLeicaBuck

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m trying to get a gear list together for my first backcountry hunt, Im unsure which pack would fit my needs between the metcalf and the Marshall ide hate to leave things behind or take to much just because I can fit it in the bigger bag, this would be for 5-7 days btw.

Kuiu

S.Clancy

WKR
In my opinion, a Marshall is way overkill. You'll just end up bringing way too much crap cause there is so much room in the bag. Get the smaller bag and go about figuring out exactly what you NEED, not WANT, on a hunt.

firebird

FNG
I’ve got the Marshall/metcalf/and mule.

Metcalf is a good bag as mentioned above and I use it exactly like everyone else says for a few days backpack hunting or for however long if I’ve got horses.

The Marshall I bought for 7 day + backpack trips because the logistics with the metcalf and food/water/stove/spotter/tent, puffy gear etc was getting a lot to pack in and strap on for longer durations, with no horses, or when I needed more layers.

I pack my sleeping bag, clothing,beanie,gloves in dry bags in the pack.