Back Pain While Glassing

I get pretty bad middle-upper back pain over the course of a long day of glassing. It's almost unbearable at times. Anyone have recommended exercises or stretches to help with this?

It feels like a muscle thing, and possibly related to bad posture in general. Just don't know where to start in terms of working on it.

D S 319

WKR
Yoga. Bunch on YouTube or find a hot yoga class and get after it! Daily stretching in general has helped me tremendously with my lower back pain and feeling better in general.

NB7

WKR
Two good back stretches you can do anywhere, just google them to see what they look like:
1- Childs pose
2- Pressup cobra stretch
These help me a bunch, although my back pain is lower (L4/L5)

Poser

WKR
It is because you are sitting with terrible posture. You don’t need to stretch, you need to correct your posture.

fwafwow

WKR
+3 on yoga. But I suggest seeking expert help, as knowing what to do, including what stretches and/or weight exercises, is hard to recommend on the internet, and especially since I’m not an expert.

FWIW I’ve been dealing with upper back pain for months. Ruled out disc and bone issue with an MRI and x-ray (as I had ACDF surgery last May). Did myofascial massage and every ergonomic approach to work on my bad posture. The yoga helped but I didn’t get major relief until I went to my second PT guy. He’s a DPT and FAAOMPT and did some dry needling combined with TENS therapy (connected to the needles), and a minor adjustment of the vertebrae above and below my ACDF. The results were pretty immediate, and I’ve got some stretches and exercises that are very specific to my situation.

Note - I have been extremely skeptical of chiropractors. I’m not sure if the adjustments done to me are the same as done by chiropractors, but they seem to have worked. Good luck!

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
It is because you are sitting with terrible posture. You don’t need to stretch, you need to correct your posture.
Where would you suggest starting on that? I sit at a desk most of the day.

Yoga does sound like a good idea.

Crazy Creek Hex 2.0.
You're welcome. 😁

I looked at these briefly, it seems like someone could make a similar product but way lighter than 21 ounces!

WoodBow

WKR
If glassing is the only time it is bothering you, I feel like you just need to try to improve your posture while glassing. Maybe go to the trouble of carrying a light weight chair. Your body wants to be in a neutral spine at all times. Any deviation from that for an extended period is going to cause discomfort. To help identify what neutral spine is, stand up, flex your glutes, brace you core, and draw your shoulders back. Whenever you start having pain, try to return to that position.

MTThrower

FNG
I sit a ton for work and it's not something I can modify. Yoga is great for mobility but if you're pressed for time, look into the "McGill Big 3". Simple set of exercises that wake up underused core muscles that kind of just go go sleep when you sit for a long time

MTThrower

FNG

See for demo. The "Bird Dog" where you raise opposite arm/leg is particularly helpful and relieving for me.

MTThrower

FNG
Oh, and one more thing is making sure to get up and take a brief walk every hour or so if you can. Better with fast pace, long strides, arm swing, etc to wake up the butt and lumbar muscles that go to sleep when you're sitting.

Yoga is great. I also have had great results improving my back pain and posture with upper back exercises such as rows, reverse flys, and pull ups. Switching to a stand up desk and moving your monitor to a position where it is level with or above your eyes will help too.