Back tension hunting

OP
SlickStickSlinger

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
Full disclosure. I've only been hunting/shooting arrows going on 2 years. Ive eaten it up to say the least.
I was watching a Dudley video explaining how to properly use a tension/hinge release. He brought up "relaxed tension" shooting. In a nutshell I've been doing it wrong and thinking of it wrong. I applied the new found information by relaxing my hand and ever so gently squeezing my ring finger. Shots go off beautifully. I am basically a short n curly away from being on the "hot" selection on my HBC.

That along with you fine folks has built my confidence even more so. As one mentioned above, if the animal hears the click it's going to be too late anyways.
Excited for August is an understatement. I drew a tag that allows me to hunt August 1st, 2 weeks earlier than the actual season. Very excited.

Thanks again you guys.

406unltd

WKR
I run no click all the time. No need for it. I also hunt with it. Screwed the pooch twice last year on bulls and it had nothing to do with the release. First one I hit a snag while shooting through thick timber. Second was a yardage estimation on a long shot. Both shots were by far the best executed shots I’ve ever sent on animals hands down. Just wasn’t in the cards though hahaha. Still kinda bummed about those missed opportunities.

Marble

WKR
Full disclosure. I've only been hunting/shooting arrows going on 2 years. Ive eaten it up to say the least.
I was watching a Dudley video explaining how to properly use a tension/hinge release. He brought up "relaxed tension" shooting. In a nutshell I've been doing it wrong and thinking of it wrong. I applied the new found information by relaxing my hand and ever so gently squeezing my ring finger. Shots go off beautifully. I am basically a short n curly away from being on the "hot" selection on my HBC.

That along with you fine folks has built my confidence even more so. As one mentioned above, if the animal hears the click it's going to be too late anyways.
Excited for August is an understatement. I drew a tag that allows me to hunt August 1st, 2 weeks earlier than the actual season. Very excited.

Thanks again you guys.

Most people make the mistake of turning up their hinge to hot because they think of it like a rifle trigger. It's usually a big mistake.

OP
SlickStickSlinger

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
I havent really shot a rifle much before. I wouldn't know about that.
I can say I have been shooting the hinge ever since before the snow fully melted this year and have been working into hotter. It bugs me when itll click and I have to continue hinging it waiting. As it is now I want it to be hotter so I dont have to put as much ring finger pressure but I'm working into letting down comfortably where it's at before I shift gears again.

I have to ask, why is it a big mistake for most people?

Marble

WKR
The click is the click. You're only adjusting travel to it. If you have a hinge that you can have it on or off, turn it off. It usually involves pulling the half sear out and turning it 180 degrees. I havent shot without the click that I can recall.

I use the click because I use it as reference to where I'm at in my sequence. After anchor, peep and level are checked, I get 99% on target and pull to the click and execute the last part of the shot.

I wish I learned a hinge 10 years ago. It's been a game changer.

OP
SlickStickSlinger

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is a little unrelated but...I'm shooting hinge on my new strings this morning at TAC and instead of a click, I got a POP and a WAP. My string snapped! Hinge was shooting great up until then. Those animals had no idea what was coming. . .😂

Wife says I can buy a new bow to shoot TAC again next weekend with my son. Anyways...

v37co

FNG
I use a hbc or Longhorn hunting. Prefer no click but don’t thing the animals hear it. Definitely practice letting down with it.

WKR
I know this is a little unrelated but...I'm shooting hinge on my new strings this morning at TAC and instead of a click, I got a POP and a WAP. My string snapped! Hinge was shooting great up until then. Those animals had no idea what was coming. . .😂

Wife says I can buy a new bow to shoot TAC again next weekend with my son. Anyways...

Have you killed an animal with your bow or competed? Pressure and tension will likely greatly affect how you function with the hinge.

Some can't get the dang thing to fire while others have it go off way earlier than expected. Pressure/adrenalin is something to consider and why many will change to a trigger for hunting.

OP
SlickStickSlinger

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
I dont understand.
I have killed a buck albeit one because I've only been hunting for one season. I used an index/wrist release for that.
And I haven't "officially" competed before.

Please explain the pressure portion of your comment. Are you suggesting I pulled too hard?

The string broke around the cam location

Last edited:

fatlander

WKR
This past spring, I shot a gobbler at 6 yards with my Scott ascent. If he heard the click, he definitely didn’t mind.

Under pressure, I shoot a hinge soooo much better than a thumb, tension (Carter silverback/evolution), or index finger release. One of the best ways to simulate pressure is go to a 3D course with your buddies and bet money on each target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HH393

FNG
I just started shooting this type of release a month ago, I think you could if you practice. It is a bit of a learning curve at first and I don’t think I would go out with it tomorrow but you definitely could If you put in the time. When you put it all together it works really well.

JD7721

WKR
I missed a beautiful buck at 10yds in 2018 because i was switching back and forth from the stan sx3 and the stan element. I do not shoot anything but the stan element now. I use this release at all times whether i am hunting or in the back yard with the kids. During that first year i did notice that i was on the back wall harder than normal due to the adrenalin. Even though the shot went off earlier than i expected each time, the arrow still went where i was was aiming because i did not let off the safety until i was ready for the arrow to go where it needed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk