Back tension release recommendations?

Any suggestions on a back tension release, preferably with a thumb safety? Looking to switch from a wrist release

Marble

WKR
Looking for a hinge or the kind that you just pull and it releases?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I’ve had a Carter honey 2 and a sweet spot hinge. Both would be fine if you like a safety, but they’re both built a little different so it comes down more to feel. The carter is built a little more heavy duty.

I have owned several resistance and hinge releases over the years. I prefer a fulkrum flex personally.

Find a good shop and try several.

Try as many as you can or start buying used to see what you like, how many fingers, size, angle and then you will start to find what works well. I have a thumb, hinge and tension that all shoot about the same when I do my job but they are all from different companies. Have 4 I need to sell because I was up to 9 trying different types and brands. Have one bow setup with 3 and the other with 2. Ive sold probably another 10 minimum over the past 4 or so years making the switch.

Zac

WKR
If you want a tension activated the Stan is by far the best. Almost everyone makes a good hinge except Trufire. That one's a face puncher. I'm partial to Ultraview. It's very modular, but they all work on the same basic principle.

Reactions: ZDR
I just picked up a Scott longhorn pro advantage and really like it, very simple. I was nervous about the whole thumb safety thing too but you really don’t need it, as long you apply thumb pressure to the thumb barrel I don’t really have any concern of accidentally releasing it.

Like covered you need to determine what exactly it is you want. Tension is different from a hinge. Personally I think you are better with a hinge than a tension, but that's because I have seen a lot of people start to punch the tension, tho you can do it with a hinge as well, just harder.

I like tru ball products. Could look at the goat, it gives option ofa thumb and a hinge in one if you want a thumb for hunting. The HBC is a good hinge as well. Any you will want to draw from your face as you are learning them,or put in a mouth guard.

I don't think you buy a new release to fix your problems. You might fix things after buying a new release, but it's because you relearned it. You can do the same thing by using your current release up close and retraining your shot.

Any hinge with a thumb peg has a "safety" more or less. You hold that peg and it's not going to be able to go off, unless it's set wrong.

OP
G
I don't think you buy a new release to fix your problems. You might fix things after buying a new release, but it's because you relearned it. You can do the same thing by using your current release up close and retraining your shot.
I don't have any problems with my current one yet, but I want to make sure none form.

Zac

WKR
I don't think there is anything wrong with either a tension based release, or a hinge for training purposes. Alot of accomplished hunters shoot the off-season with a hinge and switch to their index for hunting. Although you do usually have to change your anchor, and sometimes your peep location as well. Carter, and Truball now both have wrist strap tension activated releases that would be great trainers if you wanted to leave your bow setup the way it is.

Marble

WKR
Like covered you need to determine what exactly it is you want. Tension is different from a hinge. Personally I think you are better with a hinge than a tension, but that's because I have seen a lot of people start to punch the tension, tho you can do it with a hinge as well, just harder.

I like tru ball products. Could look at the goat, it gives option ofa thumb and a hinge in one if you want a thumb for hunting. The HBC is a good hinge as well. Any you will want to draw from your face as you are learning them,or put in a mouth guard.

Any hinge with a thumb peg has a "safety" more or less. You hold that peg and it's not going to be able to go off, unless it's set wrong.
This is great advice.

I have both of these releases mentiined above. If you want one, find one used. I've bought a few on Ebay.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I shoot stan releases, an SX3 thumb button and the element back tension. Mix em up in practice to keep me honest. Staying with the same brand means the grip really doesn’t change from one release to another.

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot stan releases, an SX3 thumb button and the element back tension. Mix em up in practice to keep me honest. Staying with the same brand means the grip really doesn’t change from one release to another.
I’ll second this as I do the same thing with my stans. Expensive but it definitely has helped me fix some issues I was having.

The advantage to the Stan Perfex for me was the ability to get it in a short neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtclark

FNG
I have a Carter too simple as my backup to the Stan sx3. I like it minus the bigger barrel

Learn to shoot the wrist rocket like a hinge, and then decide if the hinge is for you. Yes you can use a wrist rocket as a surprise shot. No more punching the trigger with your finger. Apply slight pressure and pull back with your back muscles and let it go off. Then decide if this is for you. It is the way every release should be shot.

I prefer the Truball Fulkrum Flex. I like a release with only 2 fingers. Even on my 70 lb hunting set ups. I have been thru many, many hinges, tension, and button releases. I kept the Fulkrum Flex, Goat and the Fulkrum Abyss button. I rarely use the GOAT, but I keep it cause I paid so much for it. lol