Back Tension (Thumb) vs Wrist Releases

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good afternoon everyone. So I have recently purchased two new bows. Yes I said it, two new bows while trying to sale my first bow so I have 3. Anyways the two I have bought are the Mathews vertex (you know which one) and a Prime. A friend of mine has taken both of them and is currently tuning them both and we are getting ready to go shoot and finish the setup process. Today he asked me which release I shoot. I told him a scots mongoose and wildcat I think. Both are wrist strap style releases. he then sent me a link about a back tension release or thumb release as I call them. I am not much up on the lingo of those type of releases. I told him that I never considered those because I didn't have a way to attach to my arm or hand. Knowing my luck I would lose the thing. he then said they make straps for them to where you wont lose them. So that got me to thinking what is the overall difference between the two styles of releases, wrist vs back tension or thumb? I understand that some will say it is what you are used to or one operates like this and so on but I am talking about the technology behind them, the release process in relation to how someone shoots or how the string may react differently or how the string may react between the two, what bad habits could one get rid of because of the different setup, which one gives me more pulling power (I know that is a bad way to say it but I find it easier to pull with I have the strap around my wrist as opposed to just my hand). So just provide me with your input and why you use what or if you made the switch why did you and so on. Thanks

Brendan

WKR
Back tension is the wrong term for a release, that's a way of shooting any release.

A thumb trigger is a trigger release fired with your thumb - same concept as a wrist strap index trigger. It is not the same as a tension release or hinge.

A tension release is fired by pulling through the shot and fires when holding weight hits a predetermined level as you pull into the wall.

A hinge release fires through rotation. As you pull through the shot or manipulate your hand, the release "levels" a sear trips, release fies

In general, thumb triggers, hinges, tension releases are hand held, but you can get them with wrist straps.

I personally use all three, hunt with the thumb. But, also have index triggers and a hinge with a wrist strap.

Hinge, thumb, and tension all from NockOn / Carter
569c9c489c5a9110d109c60c4ad87706.jpg

Last edited:
OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for clearing all of that up. now you can tell how much I really know about all of the "releases" out there. So why do you choose to use all 3? Why not just one in particular

Brendan

WKR
Thanks for clearing all of that up. now you can tell how much I really know about all of the "releases" out there. So why do you choose to use all 3? Why not just one in particular
A surprise shot as opposed to aiming and trying to time it is a lot more accurate for most people IF you devote the time to it.

Helps with target panic

Helps with the "Yips"

Helps you focus on floating the pin and maintaining good form

But, a trigger allows you to fire on command in a hunting scenario.

Do some googling on Target Panic...

jspradley

WKR
In to follow this one. I just got a Vertix too and bought a hinge from a rokslider, hoping its going to be more consistent than my wrist rocket (I have litte girl wrists and it slides around even on the tightest hole in the strap)

chasewild

WKR
Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Some guys choose more than one release to help with target panic, others choose more than one release so they can train during the summer (using back tension) and then switch to an index or thumb trigger during hunting WHILE USING back tension.

Do you need two? No. I personally hunt with a tension activated release and train with it all summer.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I used the same system as Brendan for a while - the nock 2 it and silver back. They have the same sized grip so it was easy to go back and forth between them. Now just a wise choice for everything.

Just so this is out there.... you can punch a hinge and tension release just like a thumb or wrist rocket. If used correctly, no release should be punched. Hing and tensions are easier to get the correct shot sequence down to get the surprise shot.