Back to Back hunts

2rocky

WKR
What have your experiences been scheduling hunts Back to back that may have overlapping seasons.

Do you feel one hunt gets less effort because you are thinking about what is waiting at the next hunt?

Do you feel rushed to tag out on one hunt to get to the next one?

Do you ever wish you used the entire time on one hunt rather than split the time into two separate endeavors?

Have you ever gone to the second hunt too wiped from the first to enjoy yourself?

Tell me about your experiences, Good, bad and ugly...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Back to back is hetic at times, but for me I love it. A day or two between week-10 day long hunts for 6 weeks straight is a ton of fun. Just takes a lot of planning and logistic work especially up here in Alaska. But I give 100% on each hunt and try to make the most of each one. I personally just get in the "hunting mode" where I know i'll be sleeping in a tent on a pad for the next 35 of 40 days or 14 of 18 days or something and just roll with it. I imagine I won't be able to keep that type of schedule the older I get, but for now it works out and a TON of fun.

*plus it helps when my wife understands what needs to happen in my absence at work and what not, puts the meal plans together for all the hunts prior to the season starting, washes all the clothes and is handy with a knife for game processng too. Otherwise no way could I get it down with 18 hour turn around between sheep hunts.

Last edited:
I did that this year with a sheep hunt rolling right into a moose hunt 500 miles away. Sandwiched that between two work related trips to boot!

Logistically, mentally, and physically I had no issues, but it turned out to be pretty tough on my wife, who was left to wrangle the young ones single handed for quite a while. I'm sure I'll do it again some day, but will try and space them out a bit until at least one of the kids can come with me.

Yk

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been going on back to back hunts since Aug 4th...it's not for everyone, but I would be bored stiff if my fall wasn't balls to the walls every year!

Maybe that's why I have been divorced twice:)

I love almost every minute of it!

7mag.

WKR
It can be really trying at times, especially with a family, but I wait impatiently all year for this, so I make the best of every minute I can.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Last year i was wiped out after my rifle deer hunt. It cost me in mental toughness fir my bow hunt for elk.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can do back to back for up to 14 days....Any longer and I will end up divorced and unemployed.

Slim Jim

WKR
I only get three weeks vacation a year so I spread out three big game hunts a year. One week in August for archery mule deer, one week in September or October for elk, and one week in January for archery rut hunt in AZ. Wish I had more time to get out there but it's better than not hunting

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zack, you first. If it works out for you I will give it a shot. Divorce usually means headaches, stress and much less money for the first year or two.

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I've done it twice and won't do it again. First was 8days moose in QC followed by 7 elk in CO. Next was 7days caribou followed by moose. Both times the second hunt suffered

Hardstalk

WKR
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361593034.763910.jpg

Dont make the mistake I do. I usually dedicate a week a year to hunt an animal.(not including scouting) Last season I had 3 tags at the same time and the units were all bordering. Give yourself some time. I gave myself a week. (To fill all 3) not due to confidence but due to lack of finances to take more time off of work. I beat my @&$? Into the dirt. Also another thing to keep in mind is not blowing your load. What I mean by that is go in level headed and keep the same pace. Last season I was burnt in 2 days after putting 20+ stalks on antelope thinking it was a numbers game.

tstowater

WKR
I try to stay away from back to back hunts, unless they are short enough that I am away less than a couple weeks combined. Seems that the office turns into a pumpkin if I am gone much more than a couple weeks at a time. Like to get things back in shape at the office and then go back out. Everyone is easier to get along with then. Just my experience. Also, depends on your job and family. Contrary to what my wife thinks most of the time, she is an important part of my life so I need to pay a little attention to her.

I'm going to try to get 4 hunts in this year, not including the prairie dogs trips and bird hunting. I'm really going to have to be efficient.