Back to Basics

As a hunter and firearms enthusiast, I have a bunch of rifles and calibers. 243, 257 Bob, 6.5 CM, 6.5x55, 270, 7mm-08, 7x57, 280, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 300 Wby Mag, 8x57, 338 Win Mag, 45-70.

As someone who carries guns for a living, I never have to think what rifle cartridge I’ll carry. It will be 5.56x45 in an AR15. Period. My handgun will be an M&P9 or Glock 17. Period. I have one option for a shotgun, a Mossberg 500 12 GA. That’s it. And I don’t think twice. As a matter if fact, I use the exact same models/cartridges off duty. I don’t give it a second thought.

Isn’t that funny? There are more viable factory 30 caliber hunting cartridges than all common “defensive” cartridges combined. All that research and development that goes into super hunting bullets, yet we don’t develop defensive bullets that are all that innovative or really that effective. It’s basically a 5.56x45 vs 7.62x39 and 9 vs 40 vs 45. When it comes to what we trust our lives with, that’s really it. When it comes to hunting…arguments on belts, rebated rims, shoulder angles, OAL constraints…and the .007” difference between 270 and 7mm.

I’m starting to feel like my hunting rifle collection is a little ridiculous. I could probably just keep 2 of my 4 30-06s and a 243 for the kids and be completely capable of making any shot on any animal I’ve ever killed.

Maybe I should think about this before I do anything crazy.

I always dream about becoming a one rifle hunter. I’ve been as low as two, for about a month. I’m back up to five right now, but I’m on another one rifle hunter kick.

At least on here people understand the struggles you’re dealing with.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
I toyed with a minimalist collection at one time. That went by the wayside pretty quick.

I got a copy of, "One man,One Rifle,One Land" not long ago and duplicated the 30-06 used. Thought I'd make a valiant run at it.

That was a 270, 35 Winchester, 33 Winchester, another 308 ago and two Model 12s ago....

WKR
I have a Ruger No. 1 '06 and a .308 BLR that I have no particular emotional attachment to. Probably ought to sell them, because all they do is sit there.

I have a .270 and two octagonal barrel, saddle ring '94 .30-30s that I will never part with.

The old adage of “beware the man with one gun he likely knows how to use it” is true. To a degree.

I know I am not the best shooter at any particular discipline or with any specific weapon. I also know I can hang with most folks with most types of guns, at most styles of shooting.

I enjoy figuring out the best gun/caliber combo for each hunt. I enjoy figuring out loads for each gun. Variety is the spice of life.

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
I have 4 rifles that pretty much covers everything. a 22 lr (10/22), 223 rem and 6.5 creed (Tikkas), and a marlin 336 in .35 rem. I can't see parting with any of them. I keep thinking that I should buy a 30 cal something, but cant' really see any legit need for one. If I could only have one it might just be the 223.

danwolf

FNG
Yeah its easy to get a few too many, then realize I only a few come out the safe. Or just that one rifle that shoots great no matter what. I recently leaned down the herd, but am now feeling the urge to get a few more.

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
It's good to have a core of preferred implements. Mine is similar to yours, save for a heavy metal Italian pistol.

But it's also hard to have too many likable tools. I'm mostly a one-gun hunter, but have plenty of others that serve specific occasional purposes. I also keep a few that I just enjoy shooting.

If I don't like it, I sell it.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Im as close to a one gun man as i'll get, and im at 6 minimum. I use a pump 12 gauge for rabbit (mossberg 500), over under for birds (condor), semi for ducks (m3500). Pump slug for deer. As for rifles, I like to track on snow in the NE, so a Remington 760 '06 with irons, and savage axis in .270 with a 4x12 for stand or spot and stalk. Oh and an AR built for coyote. Never have to think about what to grab, it's all based off what im hunting.

I'll probably buy another '06 in bolt action that's nicer and that way I don't need to worry about different types of ammo. I do own more than 6, but it's mostly heirlooms or fun guns, like a win 94, or stevens 16g, 20g for women and children etc. I'm pretty much done buying, only other thing I want is a 870 with a slug barrel for open sight carry for shotgun week in NJ.

Remember a 30-30 ruled North America for a long time and I know a few who still use that predominantly.

Sgtusmc14

Lil-Rokslider
i dont gun consolidate as much as I caliber consolidate. .22 .223, 308, 6.5 crd and 300wm cover all my bases as far as rifles. I do have some 6mm stuff for match guns but I keep rainy day 308 barrels for them since ill burn out the 6mms.

Joebe

FNG
I had a bunch of guns that I had purchased over the course of growing up. Many of them we're what I could afford at the time. As I got older and started making more money I kept upgrading. Finally there was no room in the safe and I realized many of them had not even been handled in years. So I took stock in what I had and made a list of what I wanted. Over time through trade ins and flat out purchases I came up with my "perfect" collection. I have what I consider a quality firearm for everything I like to do. I know everyone might not agree but as I get older simpler makes me happy. Started doing the same thing with my fly rods, that is going to be a much bigger project.

270 Ruger M77 with Swarvoski Z3 4x12 for rifle hunting
20G Savage 220 with Leupold 3x9 VX2 for Deer Slugs
12G Super Black Eagle 2 for water fowling, turkeys, and occasional clay games
20G Beretta Silver Pigeon for upland and occasional clay games
50 Cal CVA Acura V2 with Leupold VX3 2.5X10 for Muzzle Loader hunting

Shraggs

WKR
Losing my career with covid forced the issue for me. As my interest grew in long range I paired down and changed Guns and optics funded thru selling. Also I favored reduced recoil and range of game. Still not one gun, but I’m liking my mix:

Big game/traveling:
1 “the tikka/233/swfa/77tmk. My qtr mile do all
2 tikka/shvf1 6.5 cm for beyond the 223
3 358 win/200hh a qtr mile also, when I feel the game warrants a thumper and fast handling
4 32 win spl. My first, love it and great for drives

Local deer in restricted rifle:
5 12 ga slug
6 omega MZ
7 350 legend

Small game, birds, vermin:
8 ruger 22
9 AR 223 55 vmax
10 O/U 20 ga
11 benelli m2 12 g

TBD
12 Ruger 77 all weather in 350 rm.

Based on what I do it’s difficult to trim much more, think the 12 g slug could go maybe the M2. The 350 rm pending some kills with my new 358 load.

A varied quarry and geography of a hunter I think impacts what’s an essential list. For me somewhere around 10 weapons.