Back to Basics

Mckinnon

WKR
I know all the fancy gear is awesome but that being said I still think the basics are invaluable. So lets talk knots and compasses! What knots or hitches do you use often for backpacking and hunting? What compass do you carry?

Knots:
1-Bowline
2-Prusik
3-Figure 8
4-Multiple overhand
5-Loop knot
6-Water knot

Compass: Just headed out to replace my old cheapo compass with a suunto A10 or M-3D

I feel that with rope/cordage and a compass in my pack (and KNOWING how to use them!) I am much safer and more secure.

Last edited:

Mike7

WKR
I somehow find a way to use a bowline for everything...strong, and easy to take apart (I hate tangles & knots that don't come apart). I only ever use my compass these days as a hanging mirror on my trekking/pyramid tarp pole for putting in contact lenses (also good to have for emergencies I suppose).

Seems like I am always using a prusik and half hitches seem to hold my entire camp together, but haven't carried a compass in years.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
Half hitch of course, I can't believe I left that one out, that is a mainstay! I don't have a gps, so I rock the map and compass.

sk1

WKR
always carry a reliable compass, and if in big country or a backpacking trip a map as well....you will understand why when your gps breaks and you're not 100% sure which way to go. i do need to work on my compass navigation skills but i know the basics

not really sure where you guys are using these knots? i setup camp if necessary and go hunt, am i missing something? i know how to tie all the knots described and can see it being useful at times, but the way i read the posts it sounds like you couldnt go on a trip without them....so what are you guys using these knots and hitches for on a regular basis that i am not?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Silva ranger. It ALWAYS is in the pack. Knots? Well, if you can't tie a good knot, tie lots of them. Seems to work for me:)

Randy