Back to school advice.

kpk

WKR
So, I'm considering taking some online classes. I took a career focused course about 17 years ago - got a diploma and have done well. However, in order to have many more choices where I'm currently employed, I need an associates degree. Where I went to school, offers a program that is an additional 21 credits of general courses that would award me an Associates of Applied Science - Technology (It gives me credit for the 69 credits that I already took).

It seem ridiculous to me that the current associates degree programs they recommend - are actually fewer career focused credits than what I already took. The 21 general/elective credits I'd need to take for the AAS have absolutely nothing to do with my job or field. But, that's how it is.

I'm 38, have a family and full time job. I think the credits would cost me about 4,500 - but I'm sure that will more than pay for itself in the next 20-25 years. Or, I could wait awhile and see if they drop the qualifications they currently require like all the other departments are doing due to lack of candidates.
(EDIT - purpose isn't to make more money - it's about opening up more opportunities)

Anybody have an idea how many credits a guy could knock out a semester online? How many hours a day I should be ready to commit to do so?.......and still maintain work, life, school balance

Last edited:

Q child

WKR
In school, I regularly took 18-20 credits per semester. I did not work during that time and focused wholly on school. I would say if you were working you could do your 21 credits in 2 semesters. It does obviously depend on the classes though.
The rule of thumb that I have heard is that for every hour of class, you should expect to spend 2-3 hours out of class working on it. Some classes take very little time outside of class - I had classes that I wouldn't really work on ever outside of class, unless I had to crank out a paper or something. Others take a lot of time - I also had classes that would take probably 4-5 hours outside of class per instruction hour, labs took a ton of time for me and my classmates.
My guess, is that if you are efficient, and you are taking general electives, you can do your whole class load in one year, while working, and while still maintaining some free time. Probably not much, but some.
Also, school sucks.

Last edited:
20-25 years to recoup $4500? You could make that amount of money recycling aluminum cans. Based on your numbers your looking to spend $4500 and a bunch of stress/fried brain cells for an $0.08 per hour raise? That's nuts if you ask me.

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
I can only make one class (3 credits) work at one time, but that’s on shortened terms (8 weeks total) in a masters program for engineering with a full time job. If you’re sharp, which it sounds like you are, I would guess 2-3 semesters for the generals. 6-9 credits at a time shouldn’t be too awful

Reactions: kpk

bozeman

WKR
You can do it....I was 35, two kids, involved in ministry and finished a 36hr MBA......just depends on what you deem important to take up your time. Took me 2.5 years.

I would ask how much time you spend preparing for hunts/trips.....and how they can help your future like this educational investment will......for a comparison.

Wish you the best! Hope it opens the right doors for you and your family.

Jake_C

FNG
I work full time, and have been in online classes for 2 years. I typically take 3 courses (about 9 credits) VERY EASILY per semester. Most of your GenED classes are all available on Quizlet for exams or chapter tests. The only original work that is really required is writing papers, which isn't too hard if you can stay focused. I highly recommend going the online route. Taking 3 courses, working full time, and juggling life, I still have a ton of time for fun. My approach is to knock everything as soon as a module opens up and then take the rest of the week off. I have found 3 courses per semester to be very do-able and it doesn't impact your family. My wife told me the other day that she forgot I was even in college after I said something about my final exam next week. Lol...

WCB

WKR
My wife and I both work full time have 2 kids and are gone almost every weekend at the cabin in the summer or hunting (mostly out of state) from August to December. She is just finishing up her Principals license (Masters +20credits?) It will have taken her 2.5 years. I would say you should be able to get that amount of credits done in 2 years pretty easy.

One thing that makes a difference is what school you go to and class format. If you can do shortened terms like someone stated above...basically 2 months per class one class at a time you could get a boat load done in a year and only have to focus on one class. Also, sometimes there are even faster classes than that maybe only 4 weeks.

But, if you honestly think it will take years to recoup the money IMO not worth the squeeze.

OP
kpk

kpk

WKR
20-25 years to recoup $4500? You could make that amount of money recycling aluminum cans. Based on your numbers your looking to spend $4500 and a bunch of stress/fried brain cells for an $0.08 per hour raise? That's nuts if you ask me.

It's not about the money - It's about opportunity to do different roles. I make good money now, and my wife makes more than I do.

Getting the AAS would allow me a ton of opportunity to move around within the same organization - I could do an entirely different job every couple years if I chose to. The kicker is that all the jobs would be under the same umbrella so there's no starting over....only going up.

ODB

WKR
I was in school full-time (some in-person, some online) at about your age with a full time work and kid. My wife was 100% behind me and put up with me being at work, at school, or in my office doing school work. It was nonstop 7-days a week for a couple years but i graduated from the University of Washington with no debt. I had carried in previous credits from years past, so was able to pay for them earlier.

It wasn’t easy, but was a great deal of fun. If I can do it, you can do it. Make sure your support system is in place and rock on.

WCB

WKR
It's not about the money - It's about opportunity to do different roles. I make good money now, and my wife makes more than I do.

Getting the AAS would allow me a ton of opportunity to move around within the same organization - I could do an entirely different job every couple years if I chose to. The kicker is that all the jobs would be under the same umbrella so there's no starting over....only going up.
Question- Do they "require" or does it just say it on the job description? Reason where I work the requirements listed A LOT of times are more to limit outside applications and make it more manageable. Internally when you apply the consider your role with the company and what that entails.

OP
kpk

kpk

WKR
Question- Do they "require" or does it just say it on the job description? Reason where I work the requirements listed A LOT of times are more to limit outside applications and make it more manageable. Internally when you apply the consider your role with the company and what that entails.

They definitely require it. I've had several hiring managers reach out to me and tell me to apply for positions - as soon as I tell them I don't have an associates - its the end of the conversation from HR's standpoint. HR won't even allow an official application to go through to the hiring managers. The hiring managers have even tried talking HR into accepting some of my specific previous experience in lieu of the AAS and HR won't budge.

Yep. Horrible ROI.

SWOHTR

WKR
I did 6 hrs easily enough while working full time, married, with our first born <1 year old. It was a “slow and steady” approach but it was easy to balance and worked out well. FWIW, this was for a Master’s and 90% online at the University of Idaho.

You’re going to need to focus time on studying. Which is easy and simple to say but it will throw you off at first, since you have likely “forgotten” how to “go to school.” Schoolwork is a different mentality than regular work in that you can’t just go home at the end of the day. There is homework, reading, responding to class discussions thoughtfully that take up time. If you can take advantage of time pockets throughout the day that’ll help too (specifically thinking lunch break and commuting).

CoStick

WKR
Education is typically a good idea. I have done my MBA, CFP, and other designations while working and raising a family. 6 credits was a good balance. It certainly pays off career wise, but also keeps your mind sharp. Enjoy!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did part time online classes for the first have of this year. Mostly quit because of a lack of interest in the subject. My school didn’t really teach so much as they just posted what we needed to know and when it was due. It was up to us to self teach 🤨, that was a huge time suck.

I agree with much of what has been written above. I got my under-grad while working full time. I think how much you can take on really depends upon you, how much time you are willing to devote to it each week, how quickly you learn, how hard the classes are, etc. As someone mentioned above additional education imo is always good, it isn't just about ROI, what if you ever lose your job and you have to find another with another company, you will likely be competing with people with more formal education. I would say sign up for 2 or 3 classes the first semester, see how that goes and make adjustments as needed. Good luck!