Back up bow?

rhendrix

WKR
So after this whole debacle in UT with a busted limb I'm seriously contemplating buying a back up bow, I never thought I'd need a back up bow, but I see where the usefulness could come in handy now, I am just having a hard time justifying the cost in my head. Who hear owns a back up bow and how often have you had to use it? Do you use it for anything else? I could get a fairly decent price in a maxxis 31 right now, I just don't want to make a rash decision.

ssliger

WKR
I am fairly new to bow hunting and purchased a back up bow this spring. I picked up a used Alpha Max 35 for $300, already upgraded my accessories so the old ones went on the back up bow. I figured it wasn't that much money for piece of mind.

My backup bow is my first bow I owned. I thought of getting rid of it when I purchased my Alphamax32 but I keep it around in case of emergency.

I have two bows. Set up the same. I hope and doubt I will ever need a back up bow, but if it comes time I will be glad to have a backup bow! I've heard plenty of horror stories to make me realize back up bows are important.

theedz

WKR
Just like you Rhendrix ran into a somewhat similar situation during a hunting season about 6 or 7 years ago. I had one bow and found a cracked limb on it one day. So I immediately called to get new limbs coming, which took 2 weeks. Then after getting them installed and sighting it in again (another week atleast) I went out hunting. Shot a buck, had terrible penetration from 20 yards (70lb bow) and spent the next 3 days looking for it. Never found the buck but did find out I had another cracked limb and easily could be the reason for bad penetration, loosing a lot of energy and bad arrow flight. Again went through the whole new limb issue. Lots a lot of hunting days because of it. Anyway since then I have always had a backup bow and to be honest have never had to use it because of my main rig going down since then. I also use it for indoor and outdoor league so a little easier for me justify. Sometimes I take it hunting just to try and change my luck. I guess for me I think it is better to have it and never need it, than to need it and never have it.

OR Archer

WKR
Back up bow isn't a bad idea. No need to buy a new bow for your back up. Just keep an eye out and you can pick up a good used bow that will make an excellent back up for not a whole lot of money.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Picking up a Maxxis 31 from a friend at work, my Vector Turbo won't be ready for 4-6 weeks according to the pro shop, and I have stuff to kill!

Zackman

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a backup bow, setup the same, that uses the same arrows, for the past 3 years. Haven't had to use it one time. But that is why I have a backup bow, so I won't ever need it

Shrek

WKR
Rhendrix , I bet that backup bow looks like a bargin when you compare it to the cost of a trip and the lost opportunities when you break your bow as you did. Think how much better it would have been to hike back to your vehicle and just grabe your backup bow and hike right back into the action with a bow you are familiar with and have practiced with. A few shots to check it out and get the feel back and you are good to go. When you buy the latest and greatest new bow just hang on to your old one.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Shrek, you don't know the half of it man, I seriously would've paid way more than what I'm paying right for this thing about a week ago. Live and learn I suppose.

OR Archer

WKR
4-6 weeks? sorry but that's not really acceptable in my book. any reason as to why it would take that long to get your bow up and running again?

jmez

WKR
I used to keep one but never shot or needed it. After sitting for a year and having a completely different feel that what I was shooting I decided it wasn't worth it. If worse came to worse, I would drive to the nearest shop and buy a new one. Could have it tuned and shooting well in pretty short order.

I did crack a limb a few years back on a Sunday. Called my dealer on the way home, had two new limbs at the shop on Tuesday morning. They over nighted them on Monday. Put them on and was back tuned and ready within an hour. Wasn't a big deal.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
OR, that was just the pro shops guess, they said they put in the order but hasn't heard back yet, totally a guess on the staffs part I reckon, what's a reasonable time frame and when should I start raising hell?

bobhunts

WKR
I have a backup bow and it does not shoot as fast.. but accrurate as any bow made. I kept that bow and sold newer bows just because it shoots so well and I know if I have a problem I can grab it and go with it. That bow will not be sold just be what it is. A backup bow. I still shoot it in practice and really like it alot. Some times I wonder why I chase the speed thing when I have a bow that fits me well and shoots well. We all buy new stuff and always wonder the same thing. Maybe I'll try out one of the Elite Bows next time? Heard good things on there bows. Bob.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I am hunting with someone else, their bow is my back up. Last year hunting with Aron, we shot each others bow without any problems. Draw length and weight were different, but if you can draw it back, see through the peep and hold it steady, you will be close enough with point if impact to kill animals.

If hunting by myself I am in the wilderness, so if I have a failure I have yo out to fix it. I can fix generally anything in a couple hours with the exception of a catastrophic failure with a limb or riser. So I don't have a back up bow generally.

I have two target bows I could shoot broad heads out of needed, but have yet to need it. I did recently buy a used recurve and plan on learning that, which could be a back up.

If I were going out of state or up to Alaska solo I would definitely have one then.

Lastly, don't buy new unless you have money to burn. There are plenty of top of the line one or two year old bows out there for under $500.

OR Archer

WKR
OR, that was just the pro shops guess, they said they put in the order but hasn't heard back yet, totally a guess on the staffs part I reckon, what's a reasonable time frame and when should I start raising hell?

Normally 2 weeks is what it takes. Being that that is a newer bow limbs should be readily available. You can call Hoyt directly and find out on your own. I wouldn't settle for that time frame myself.

kickemall

WKR
I'm new to bows. I was at my friends yesterday shooting my new bow for the first time and dialing it in. He was shooting his broadheads because he's leaving for Colorado tomorrow for a deer/elk hunt. We had shot maybe ten or fifteen times and walked up to pull out arrows. As we were pulling them out I heard something behind us and turned to look but didn't see anything. We went back to shoot and when he picked his bow up the upper limb had broke, which is probably what I had heard. Funny thing, he has always had two bows but a week ago he sold his old one because he never used it. Murphy's law. So as I type this he is driving two hours to the bow shop that, luckily, has limbs and will be able to fix it but then he has to get it sighted in so he can leave at daylight tomorrow. So now the confidence factor comes in using a bow that was just sighted in on a trophy hunt although he's experienced so probably won't be a factor. Something to think about.