back woods potty

rayporter

WKR
how many different ways to make a throne?

i have seen some good ones. some great ones.
one favorite is this portable.
cut the bottom off of a bucket and place it over a hole.

cnelk

WKR
Lawn chair with bottom cut out.

Did 18” hole, mound dirt up nearby with shovel.
Place chair over hole.
After ‘business’ sprinkler a little dirt in hole to cover up smell.
Note: keep heels forward. :)

When hole gets full, repeat process.

Notice reflector tape on chair. Very helpful in early morning hours.

1CE81C8A-8396-4119-BB47-258C99D166EF.jpeg

Superdoo

WKR
A military buddy of mine showed me that a folding shovel can be great.
Just set the shovel at 90 degrees from the handle and place under one cheek.
It’s actually really stable and comfortable!

JRMiller

WKR
The bottomless home depot bucket with a toilet seat (some use noodle foam instead) on top is cheap, easy, and fairly compact except for backpacking of course

I wish I still had them but I used to have about 9 or 10 photos of different toilet set ups we found out in the hills. About half of them were way off trail so pretty interesting and some of them were quite old like 10 plus years and still standing

Beendare

WKR
Some hunter took a dump right on the trail we were on last year on an elk hunt- gross........he couldn't even step off the trail a few yards and bury it....so Effing lazy!

If you are out in the woods...at least step off the trail and scrape a little hole to bury it......

____

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
Most of our camps are near a road so we have a chainsaw with us, I use it and 2 good sized down trees or logs to make a privy. Cut a notch in the 2 ;logs and lay them beside each other over a nice deep-ish hole.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Oh yeah! Always face uphill.
Another pearl of wisdom...if you're wearing coveralls, be sure the suspenders are completely off your shoulders, lest the gremlins strike at the most inopportune time

And another pearl of wisdom. When facing uphill doing your business, be sure to hang onto your toilet paper. It could be a long walk/climb down to where it rolled to a stop if your not careful.

Don't ask me why I know this......

Drenalin

WKR
An MRE box turned up on its end works for a couple days, till the cardboard start to degrade. No trees to lean against in 29 Palms, at least not where I was.

Depends how much time I have.. There’s been a couple times I’ve been on the trail and the bubble guts came out of no where So I had the find the most cover I could move a little dirt and pop a squat. Most times I’m at camp sitting on the taller 10 or 12 gallon bucket.

Y'all don't just squat down and push it out? You know like humans did before office chairs and lazy boys eliminated the need for functional hips...

If you can't squat down without falling in your own shit, I would suggest some strength building.

Maverick1

WKR
Same approach as above: squat down, get to business. Kind of interesting the contraptions that are taken with in this regard! (I suppose it would depend entirely on the type of camp you are setting up: base camp, spike camp, bivy-hunt with a different camp every night).

A couple of tips:

1. Wait a little bit longer than normal, so that less work is involved. (However, I would not suggest waiting until the turtle is 'frantically' poking it's head out to get down to business, especially when dealing with multiple days of mountain house-type meals......that's asking for trouble.....)

2. Make sure your pockets are cleared out; more important if your pockets are shallow/not so deep. (A "guy I know" once had his rangefinder fall out of his pants pocket, eyepiece-down, into his fresh steaming pile.....he used his rangefinder significantly less on the remainder of that trip.....what a dumb $hit!)